Just can't see where I'm going

/ Just can't see where I'm going #41  
After my cataract surgery in 2011 I started wearing wrap-around sunglasses under my autodarkening helmet. Yellow tint, anti-reflection coated, polarizing lenses, UV400 rated. You have to protect the implanted plastic lenses from ultraviolet degradation. And you always have the risk of UV getting inside your helmet via scattering from surfaces behind you. I found that the sunglasses helped me see the puddle and the bead better.

Good luck.

/ Just can't see where I'm going #42  
Replace front and back plastic "spatter" guards when they become cloudy to a point they can not be cleaned....

Dale

I once bought a welding helmet with what looked and felt like clear glass in the flip up. Spatter stuck to the glass. It seemed to melt it's way in and the damage wouldn't come off.. Has anyone else had that problem with glass lens covers? They are still available.

Last edited:
   / Just can't see where I'm going #43  
Plastic lens covers, always. Sparks and slag will bounce off because they can't transfer enough heat to a lens far less dense to bond to it.

/ Just can't see where I'm going #44  
Finishing pulling 8 gauge wire for a couple of 240 outlets in my shop. Haven't done any welding in years. Fired up my old Lincoln buzzbox stick welder. Then moved over to Lincoln Mig welder. It's fun getting back into this hobby.

I'm struggling tho to see where I'm going. I tried two different hoods, different shade setting, magnification cheaters, etc. I've even tried using a soap stone pencil. No luck,

I can see the puddle fine and I can lay out a nice bead but couldn't strike a straight line for anything. I know that someday soon I'm due for cataract surgery but eye doc wants to wait a bit longer.

Anybody else experiencing the same problem?

Not the same problem.
My problem is that I have three welders: Hobart Handler 190 Mig, Miller AC/DC buzz box, and Everlast 140 Poweri 140e Mig.
Don't know anything about welding.

Cataract surgery is amazing!
You do not realize how much your sight has degraded.....until you get it restored.
You will LOVE the result!

/ Just can't see where I'm going #45  
You do not realize how much your sight has degraded.....until you get it restored.

What kind of lenses did you opt for?
Near vision, far vision of multifocal?

My ophthalmologist is pressing me to get it done, but I'm not convinced yet.
The GF had it done with the Symphony (?) multi-focal lenses, after listening to the doctor's hype for them, and she hates them.

/ Just can't see where I'm going #46  
What kind of lenses did you opt for?
Near vision, far vision of multifocal?

My ophthalmologist is pressing me to get it done, but I'm not convinced yet.
The GF had it done with the Symphony (?) multi-focal lenses, after listening to the doctor's hype for them, and she hates them.

I honestly do not remember.
I believe I let the Dr. pick what he thought best.....nothing fancy.
As I recall, Medicare paid for most of it.

One thing I would advise you about, is that after a year there was slight change in my vision.
I then got a 5 second "lazer cleanup",(each eye) and all has been good ever since.
That was about 6 years ago. I am 80 now.
I would suggest following the advice of your Ophthalmologist.

/ Just can't see where I'm going #47  
Plastic lens covers, always. Sparks and slag will bounce off because they can't transfer enough heat to a lens far less dense to bond to it.

I've been using plastic covers since the incident and they work well. Thanks for explaining why.

/ Just can't see where I'm going #48  
Not the same problem.
My problem is that I have three welders: Hobart Handler 190 Mig, Miller AC/DC buzz box, and Everlast 140 Poweri 140e Mig.
Don't know anything about welding.

You will LOVE the result
!

Absolutely.... Thing were so bright I had to wear sunglasses when out side for first year after surgery....

Dale

/ Just can't see where I'm going #49  
And I thought I was the only one. I'm 71, have had cataract surgery and have lots of trouble welding a straight line. I was never that great of a welder, but now can't seem to get the helmet adjusted so I can see the puddle and where it's going at the same time. I just don't think i have the same range of brightness vision I used to. Now I work around it by doing shorter stitch welds.

You're not alone, I have the same problem (in addition to barely correctable astigmatism). I also do what cmyoung2 does...a lot of bright lights on the work. Helps a lot!

My wife had it last summer and she was also amazed. I don't have it bad enough that the insurance will cover the procedure, and it's a little pricey to pay for myself (and I have astigmatism, which wouldn't be affected according to my eye dr).
When I was in my 30s I traded glasses for contacts, and the difference was equally amazing. First time in my life I'd ever needed sunglasses. Unfortunately as I got into my late 50s my eyesight got bad enough that it couldn't be corrected with them anymore.