Kawasaki Mule Air Cleaner Cleaning

/ Kawasaki Mule Air Cleaner Cleaning #1  

KennK

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
I just bought a 2021 Kawasaki Mule PRO-FXT, and I have an odd question.

I've read several posts describing how lack of air filter cleaning led to engine problems.

My manual says to clean the air filter by gently tapping it, and then using compressed air to blow out debris from the inside out. If damaged, the filter needs to be replaced.

Question: Does my small Porter-Cable pancake compressor with a Milton trigger blow gun produce enough "blow" to clean the air filter adequately?

/ Kawasaki Mule Air Cleaner Cleaning #2  
My Portor Cable Pancake build's 125psi which is more than adiquate to blow dirt out of dry filters. On extra large and dirty you might have stop to let it catch up.

/ Kawasaki Mule Air Cleaner Cleaning #3  
You should use caution blowing it out. Too much pressure on too small an area may blow right through the filter.

/ Kawasaki Mule Air Cleaner Cleaning #4  
Yeah any air compressor bigger than a small tire pumper will have enough pressure to blow out a filter. Agree to use caution, you can blow the filter media apart with too much pressure. Start from far away and carefully work your way closer.

That said, you shouldn't really have to do much blowing. On a nice dry day, you should be able to tap almost all of it out. Leaving a bit of dirt on the filter actually helps it filter better.

But what is the problem on the FXTs? Poor engine performance when the filter is clogged up? Congrats on the new toy, can we see some pics? I want one of these also, but its kind of a fantasy for me since I really don't need it.

/ Kawasaki Mule Air Cleaner Cleaning #5  
Best paper filter practice is to tamp it out followed by blowing across the filter media rather than through it. Only light pressure ever directly through the media as a last pass. Beyond that - replace it.

/ Kawasaki Mule Air Cleaner Cleaning
Yeah any air compressor bigger than a small tire pumper will have enough pressure to blow out a filter. Agree to use caution, you can blow the filter media apart with too much pressure. Start from far away and carefully work your way closer.

That said, you shouldn't really have to do much blowing. On a nice dry day, you should be able to tap almost all of it out. Leaving a bit of dirt on the filter actually helps it filter better.

But what is the problem on the FXTs? Poor engine performance when the filter is clogged up? Congrats on the new toy, can we see some pics? I want one of these also, but its kind of a fantasy for me since I really don't need it.
After our first big ride it was covered in dust, so I gave it a bath using the garden hose and a bucket of auto detergent. Man, what a weird experience spraying & washing the INTERIOR!! Per the manual I covered the ignition key hole with tape. I was also very gentle/careful with the windshield per online recommendations. I just bought a Novus 1, 2, 3 set, but haven't applied #1 yet (waiting for the next bath). Sadly the trails close November 7th for the season. After that use is limited to ATV/UTV allowed city roads.

Pictures from when it first arrived home ...
20210920_152110.jpg

Oh, the reason I want to check and clean the air filter is that I found a bunch of very fine sand on the bottom of the battery/air filter compartment. I vacuumed up the sand, but I haven't checked the filter yet. The only time I used the compressor blower I didn't think it had all that much blow.

Thanks to all for your advice. I'll take it real gentle with the blower.

The bad news is that the ATV/UTV trails close for the season November 7th. The good news is that most of my city roads are open to ATV/UTV use ... and they don't salt the roads. Is this Heaven? No, it's Wisconsin!!

/ Kawasaki Mule Air Cleaner Cleaning #8  
Don't salt the roads in Wisconsin? Times have changed! Needed the salt for the pretzels and curds I bet...

In my town only the county and state highways are salted. The town roads - which are all ATV/UTV/snowmobile trails - are not salted. They only use grit (small gravel). I suspect this is for the benefit of the snowmobiles not having to run on dry pavement, but it also prevents corrosion on other vehicles.