KingKutter vs. Howse

/ KingKutter vs. Howse #1  

JoeinTX

Platinum Member
Tractor
'51 ford 8N
I'm sure this has been covered a million times on this board, but I'll ask again anyway.

I'm looking at two 5' 3pt shredders for the same identical price-both have shear pin PTO and stump jumper. The Howse appears heavier built, but by the specs the King Kutter is identical in weight.
I've been around off-brands of shredder for a long time without any trouble so I don't need the marque value (and price) of Bush Hog or Rhino.
Right now it's coming down to which dealer charges the least for delivery, so......I'm just looking for some experience with the machines to tilt me one way or the other. Thanks...

/ KingKutter vs. Howse #2  
I have a Howse 48" that I've given holy heck to with no problems. It's holding up very well, but I take good care of it too.
I've never used a KK, so I have no opinion. John

/ KingKutter vs. Howse #3  
Joe, my experience after owning both Howse and King Kutter (sold by TSC) is that the King Kutter is built slightly heaver. The skids under the sides and the structure are both slightly better made on the KK. Also, you can order repair parts at any TSC, so that makes it a convenience point.

On the negative side, the KK is "funky" in it's 3PH geometry and some people have noticed the cutter will hit the rear wheels if you raise it too high while transporting. Also, check and retorque your blade bolts onto the stump jumper when you get the cutter home. I think mine was tightened by a 100 yr old arthritic granny with a 3/8" ratchet. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Also, the float mechanism on the KK works fine for flat terrain, but if you have lots of dips and gullys, you'll have to watch that it doesn't rotate over-center and then bind up in the wrong position. The Howse just has a large slot and can't get out of position. It won't flex as far, but I think I actually prefer the Howse design to the KK on the float mechanism. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ KingKutter vs. Howse #4  
I own a 6' howse.It has done well for 6 years ,they are a little thin and mine is bent up in the rear.It never affects the cutting,also the 3pt hardware can move around alittle bit and need to be re-tightened if your hard on it. I have looked at KK
and thought they were just as stout and also had a dual wheel option if you like it.I think the gear boxes on both units will hold up fine.

/ KingKutter vs. Howse
I've noticed the top-link hookup on the KK and I thought I might modify it or work around it if it became a problem. The KingKutter is plenty heavy enough for what I want to do. All in all, I can't find another make that is as cheap or has the convenient support that TSC can offer. Decision made. Thanks.....

/ KingKutter vs. Howse #6  
JoeinTX:

I got a 4' howse that I beat the heck out of, the gear box started leaking about a year of ownership and I have tried everthing I can think of to stop the leak and it still leaks. Like creeper said the metal is thin and mine rusted out but I didn't take much care of it,

When the metal got to the point of being unsafe I went to the local metal scrap yard and gave them the pattern of all the metal skin and striped the fram and had a friend weld it back together and it's like a tank now. If I remember right I replaced all the metal with 3/16 steel skin and I don't give it any thought to back into any kind of brush if the tractor will ram it in there I'm doing it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I kind of consider them both close to throw away brands...I got a new LX5 cutter when I bought my Deere and it's a nice hog but I payed close to $900 bucks for it and the howse cost $350-400 and of course one's a 5' and one's a 4'...there good for the home owner but not for a guy who mows for a living

Man that was a lot of typing to say very little.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ KingKutter vs. Howse #7  
I have been running a 6' Howse for 5 yrs. Very happy with it. It sits outside and is showing no real signs of rust. The rear skirts are somewhat bent and I did have to reweld a couple spots on those. But I do a lot of backing into brush, cedars, and saplings as I clear areas along my creek and overgrown fencerows. I mow about 4 acres and about 200 yards of ditch along the highway every couple weeks. I mow another 8 or so acres of pasture 2 to 3 times a year. With what the Howse has done for me, I would not consider a high end model for what I do.

/ KingKutter vs. Howse #8  
So much for my theory on the gear boxes huh? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ KingKutter vs. Howse #9  
Creeper:

I like the gear box, it's built like a tank and much more heavy duty than it needs to be on a 4' cutter. I just can't get mine to stop leaking. It's the seal at the bottom and I've bought 3 for it and still leaks. I don't know if it spins a little off center and that's why I'm going through seals.

Anywho, it's getting a new paint job, stump jumper and blades this year and it's going back into service.

/ KingKutter vs. Howse #10  
I have beat the snot out of a KK shredder for the past 6 years. I bought a new set of blades for it the day I got it and have yet to put them on. I just take an angle grinder to the old ones and keep using them. The only thing I have ever had to replace is shear pins. And that will happen every time you lower the spinning deck on your trailer ball. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I can't complain about this shredder at all.