Kioti DK40SE with FEL and filled tires on my 3 ton car trailer?

/ Kioti DK40SE with FEL and filled tires on my 3 ton car trailer? #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
Here is the trailer. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/104218-your-towing-rigs-trailers-40.html#post3624834

The truck has no problem pulling it, I'm concerned about the tires on the trailer. At 40 pounds they had a noticeable "dent" (for lack of the proper term) in the tires, especially the rears. I went ahead and filled them to their maximum 50 psi, with the tractor on the trailer. Tires were cold. (am I OK so far?)

I had just put new Carlisle Tires with a C load range. Thats 1,760 pounds, per tire right?

I believe my tractor weighs 3,924 lbs but the rears are filled and the FEL is on there as well.

I just took a 5 mile ride and when I returned the tires weren't hot, but they weren't cold to the touch like the tires on the dually.

Whatcha think? I have a 40 mile + ride to the shop next week and don't need to create any disasters. :)

/ Kioti DK40SE with FEL and filled tires on my 3 ton car trailer? #2  
Here is the trailer. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/104218-your-towing-rigs-trailers-40.html#post3624834

The truck has no problem pulling it, I'm concerned about the tires on the trailer. At 40 pounds they had a noticeable "dent" (for lack of the proper term) in the tires, especially the rears. I went ahead and filled them to their maximum 50 psi, with the tractor on the trailer. Tires were cold. (am I OK so far?)

I had just put new Carlisle Tires with a C load range. Thats 1,760 pounds, per tire right?

I believe my tractor weighs 3,924 lbs but the rears are filled and the FEL is on there as well.

I just took a 5 mile ride and when I returned the tires weren't hot, but they weren't cold to the touch like the tires on the dually.

Whatcha think? I have a 40 mile + ride to the shop next week and don't need to create any disasters. :)

First things first, in the future stay away from Carlisle tires. They have about the worst reputation on the market. Second thing is to always run trailer tires at maximum inflation. This is set with the tires cold. Third point is to make sure you have the load evenly distributed on the trailer. Depending on the axle setup you have, torsion or conventional, the only way to do this properly is that a scale and moving the load accordingly. Many times this will mean backing a tractor onto a trailer vs loading it on forward.

Chris

/ Kioti DK40SE with FEL and filled tires on my 3 ton car trailer? #3  
Chris is right, make sure that weight is perfectly even balanced between the two axles; and take it easy for the 40 miles. You're probably 6000 ± lbs just for the equipment alone. Did you have the option of going to load range D when you replaced the tires? Are the tires radial or bias? I've seen 205 D range on those kind of trailer and that may give you another 120 lb or so per axle; every little bit helps. Good luck with the move.

Edit: Just wondering, if it's going for shop work do you need the loader left on?

Last edited:
   / Kioti DK40SE with FEL and filled tires on my 3 ton car trailer? #4  
I'm guessing you're over the limit on your tires and maybe trailer. That trailer probably weights 1800 lbs empty. About 10% of the weight will be on your truck so I would think you would want to stay at about 4000lb weight. That being said you probably can get away with pulling it. Take it easy, have a couple spares, and stop every so often. Are you going down country roads where you will not be pressured into doing the speed limit? I'm not sure if I would try it on a busy highway.

/ Kioti DK40SE with FEL and filled tires on my 3 ton car trailer? #5  
You will definitely be over weight on the tires by close to 500# per tire. Put them to max inflation and you may be OK. As suggested, balance the load so you have max weight allowable on your bumper and that will help. Removing the FEL or even just removing the bucket will save close to 400# so that will help also.
Are you legal? probably not. Are you in serious danger of loosing control? Also likely not at this point with brand new tires. I wouldn't push it with older tires though.
You really should look at upgrading your trailer to something with 5K or 6K axles and load range E tires though to be on the safe AND legal side of things.

/ Kioti DK40SE with FEL and filled tires on my 3 ton car trailer? #6  
I would suggest buying 4 new E Load tires for trailer. Sell 2 of your C loads on craglist and keep 2 of them for spares. Also if you only pull tractor a few miles at low speed and temps. Keep what you have drive slow and make sure you have a spare or two.

/ Kioti DK40SE with FEL and filled tires on my 3 ton car trailer?
I wanted to get E load tires but they couldn't find them in their system.

My new tires are radial.

The FEL is going to have bucket hooks welded on but it might make sense to leave the entire thing here at the farm and have them welded on near us somewhere.

I can back the tractor on the trailer to put more load on the truck.

With the FEL removed I will have a much easier time coming closer to centering the load.

Did anyone see the picture of the tractor on the trailer? It looks like a football player in a child's wagon.

Perhaps I need to do the 50 hr service myself. The dealer told me at purchase they'd do it for cost or there abouts. $200.00

No new trailer for awhile, I need another tractor LOL

/ Kioti DK40SE with FEL and filled tires on my 3 ton car trailer?
I would suggest buying 4 new E Load tires for trailer. Sell 2 of your C loads on craglist and keep 2 of them for spares. Also if you only pull tractor a few miles at low speed and temps. Keep what you have drive slow and make sure you have a spare or two.

That is an idea..

What brand tires would be recommended? I run Michelin's on just about EVERY vehicle.

/ Kioti DK40SE with FEL and filled tires on my 3 ton car trailer? #9  
That is an idea..

What brand tires would be recommended? I run Michelin's on just about EVERY vehicle.
Greenballs, Tow Master from Costco or Sam's.

Weigh the tongue to get the balance. Look at etrailer, they have a specific method so you can calculate the tongue weight using a bathroom scale and a few sticks.

Also - I like to tell people to check their balls. Most hitches come with a 5,000 lb rated ball, everything in the system must be good for the weight.

/ Kioti DK40SE with FEL and filled tires on my 3 ton car trailer? #10  
I run Michelins on almost everything. Both 3500s , 5th wheel, horse trailer and wife's car. A few hundred in tire upgrade can save a vacation, horse show or possibly a life in my wife or kids car. Sometimes 5 feet of stopping distance or ability to grab the road can make a big difference in life or death. I do cut corners and buy mid line E loads for stuff I drive.