Kioti DK4710SE HST Cab - The Right Tractor for Me?

/ Kioti DK4710SE HST Cab - The Right Tractor for Me? #1  

AndrewFromIdaho

Tractor
Shopping
I've been shopping for a tractor for several years, and I think I've settled on a Kioti DK4710SE HST Cab. I'm just looking for a 2nd opinion before I pull the trigger.

We live in North-Central Idaho, and the tractor's most important purpose will be plowing snow. We have about a month of decent snowfall, with an average of ~55". I'll be plowing a 1/4 mile gravel driveway with a very steep section at the end, plus two concrete parking pads, and a large'ish gravel parking area.

A cab is a must, since I'm sick of getting up early to bundle up and nearly freeze on winter mornings.

I've been plowing with a UTV, but it gets to be a real hassle when we get a single deep snow, or a week or so of drifting, where it becomes close to impossible to keep our driveway clear. The previous homeowners just accepted that they'd be "snowed in" a week or so every year, that's not an option for us. I'm looking for a tractor that can keep up with the drifts, ideally mostly with a plow blade, but with the option of hooking on the loader and moving the snow out that way if necessary (something I've done some winters with a borrowed tractor in the past).

We only have two local dealers, John Deere (gigantic ag-focused dealership where I know from experience your chances of getting any attention as a non-$1-million combine owner during the growing and harvest seasons are exactly 0% ), and Kioti.

I can get the Kioti new for under $35K, with a loader. Which seems to be very competitive for a tractor this capable, with a cab.

My neighbor has the same Kioti with around 250 hours on it, and has been very happy with it, and glowing things to say about the dealer (though, he hasn't needed any service/warranty support).

Beyond plowing, I plan to use the tractor for maintaining the driveway in the summer, mowing our ~15 acres, tilling our large'ish garden, digging post holes (a new fence for that garden is on my ToDo list for next spring) and whatever else I can find to do with it. I've considered a backhoe attachment, but come down at least for now on the side of just renting a mini-ex when I need it, instead of spending $8K on something I probably won't get my money's worth out of.

So, before I pull the trigger:
  • Good idea/bad idea?
  • Anything that would make the Kioti a bad option for my needs?
  • Other brands I should consider?
    • I have Kubota & Mahindra dealers about 1-hour away. Yanmar & LS about 2-hours away.
  • Is a hydraulically operated snowplow my best option, or is it worth considering a front-mounted snow-blower (for about 4x the price)?
  • Ag or industrial tires? The primary purpose is plowing, but it'd be nice to be able to drive over our lawn without chewing it up too much if that's not too much of a performance sacrifice.

/ Kioti DK4710SE HST Cab - The Right Tractor for Me? #2  
Kioti seems like an excellent choice to me.

Kioti, Yanmar and Kubota are purported on T-B-N to make a higher proportion of tractor components in their plants, relative to other brands, which buy more components from contract suppliers. Long term, meaning longer than ten years, internal production probably increases the likelihood of continuing parts supply.

I personally prefer the simplicity of Kioti three cylinder diesel engines, over Kubota four cylinder diesel engines through 45 horsepower. With 45 horsepower you can amply power a 72" Rotary Cutter / Bush Hog through the tallest grass.

be nice to drive over our lawn without chewing it up too much

A cabbed tractor has about the same weight on the rear tires as an open-station tractor with liquid filled rear tires. I recommend air inflated tires for a cabbed tractor. A cabbed tractor with liquid filled rear tires will surely rut your lawn.

I'll be plowing a 1/4 mile gravel driveway with a very steep section at the end.

You may need tractor rear tire chains for your hill.

You may need to plow this steep section with the UTV, downhill. It is easy for a tractor to get out of control plowing downhill.

I can't express any preference on tires for snow but there are dozens of relevant threads in the T-B-N ARCHIVE:

tractor snow tires site:tractorbynet.com

Consider edge tamers / snow edge for your bucket:

Consider a snow push box:

Last edited:
   / Kioti DK4710SE HST Cab - The Right Tractor for Me?
Hey - thanks for the reply and advice.

I think for my needs (assuming I don't spring all the $$s or a snow blower) a curved, quick-attach floating snow blade is what I believe to be my best option. Can adjust the angle from the cab, float over the changing terrain of our driveway and curl the snow up and out the end of the blade to help get it over the piles/drifts on the edge.

I'm sure a box/pusher would be handy for the parking pads and gravel parking area, but I doubt I'll actually go to the trouble of switching it out mid-plow, unless the "quick attach" process is much quicker than I'm imagining.

/ Kioti DK4710SE HST Cab - The Right Tractor for Me? #4  
The SSQA quick attaching/detaching is really fast! I just got my Kioti CK3510 with a few SSQA attachments and I frickin LOVE IT. You just pull up to where you want to drop current loader attachment, lower to just above the ground, get out and go flip the levers up (takes 10 seconds and your back in the seat), lower loader all the way and the SSQA plate comes right out of the attachment. Then drive to the next piece, curl your SSQA plate up into the attachment, lift up and it should flap right into place. 10 more seconds to get out and flip the levers back down. Add a couple more seconds and a brief engine off to relieve hydraulic pressure if you have 3rd function action going on (plow angle).

That said, a nice 7 or 8' front blade will still work really well to clear parking pads. I don't think you will ALSO need a big snow pusher just to do an average yearly 55" on a few parking areas.

A DK4710 Cab for under 35 grand sounds like an excellent plan to me. Do they have one in stock?

/ Kioti DK4710SE HST Cab - The Right Tractor for Me? #5  
Buy the SSQA (Skid Steer Quick Attach) option for connecting your bucket to the FEL at time of purchase. Money well spent.

SSQA, like mounting Three Point Hitch implements, takes practice for proficiency. My first 2-3 months with SSQA it took me ten minutes to make the connections. Now, after eight years, two minutes.

/ Kioti DK4710SE HST Cab - The Right Tractor for Me? #6  
Yes, get the Kioti, awesome tractors. One question? Do you have drifting over 2' in your area? If not consider a pull behind (inverted snowblower)

/ Kioti DK4710SE HST Cab - The Right Tractor for Me? #7  
yes on the Kioti and purchase one of these.

Attachments

• IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 354

/ Kioti DK4710SE HST Cab - The Right Tractor for Me?
Thanks again for all the advice.

A few specific replies:
A DK4710 Cab for under 35 grand sounds like an excellent plan to me. Do they have one in stock?

Not in-stock, but ordered and arriving mid-October. We don't typically get snow that sticks around 'till at least mid-December.

Yes, get the Kioti, awesome tractors. One question? Do you have drifting over 2' in your area? If not consider a pull behind (inverted snowblower)

Yep. The "drifting over 2'" is one of the big reasons we're getting this. About 200-yards of our driveway is really exposed. I've had it drift back nearly full of snow in just a couple hours after being cleared. The combo of the location and exposure, plus existing piles from past plowing can get us 4' drifts along there some years, even though we vary rarely get more than 2' of total accumulation sans-drifting. Add in warming after a drift, and you can imagine how difficult clearing it without a tractor has been.

yes on the Kioti and purchase one of these.

Attachments

• IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 354

What specific blade is that?

/ Kioti DK4710SE HST Cab - The Right Tractor for Me? #9  
Thanks again for all the advice.

A few specific replies:

Not in-stock, but ordered and arriving mid-October. We don't typically get snow that sticks around 'till at least mid-December.

Yep. The "drifting over 2'" is one of the big reasons we're getting this. About 200-yards of our driveway is really exposed. I've had it drift back nearly full of snow in just a couple hours after being cleared. The combo of the location and exposure, plus existing piles from past plowing can get us 4' drifts along there some years, even though we vary rarely get more than 2' of total accumulation sans-drifting. Add in warming after a drift, and you can imagine how difficult clearing it without a tractor has been.

What specific blade is that?(( It was made/installed by my Local Kioti dealer Michigan Iron and equipment has hydraulic lift and angle.))

/ Kioti DK4710SE HST Cab - The Right Tractor for Me? #10  
I would invest in a front mount snowblower too then if drifting is a big problem? I know they are big $$$.....but backing up gets old quick.