Kioti NX5510 Smoking after startup.

/ Kioti NX5510 Smoking after startup. #1  

countrybumpkin

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti, kubota
For about the last 30 hrs or so my NX5510 has started smoking after startup, seems to have gotten a bit worse but Doesn't seem to do it every-time but more often than not. First time it done this was after tractor had been started in the morning, ran about 5-10 minutes to load on a trailer and taken back home from getting tire repair done, after getting home and unloading the tractor it set and ran at about 12-1300 rpm for 10-15 minutes while i looked for a tire gauge to adjust the over inflated tire they fixed. Got that taken care of then, drove tractor a few hundred yards toward shop when it stared blowing smoke like crazy, I got out of the cab for a moment to see if the engine was making any strange noise but it sounded normal, when I got back into the cab I noticed the Re-gen light had come on so I bumped the rpm up to about 2100, after about 30 seconds the smoked cleared up so I continued going to hook up my equipment, after about 20 minutes at 2100 the Re-gen light went off. Went on about my day working, later that night moving dirt I seen another big puff of smoke, lasted about 10 seconds then cleared up. since then it only seems to smoke after a cold start, I have had another Re-gen cycle sinse then and that was about ten minutes into bush hogging at which time I did notice two puffs of smoke at which time I notice the Re-gen light came on. again the light was on for about 15-20 minutes while bush-hogging and then went out probably bush hogged another 30 minutes after that with no other issues. Next day ran the tractor for 4 1/2 hrs full throttle discing and seemed to do fine. have not put but a few hrs on it since then mostly just lite loader work but it still smoke for a few minutes. I start the tractor, let it smooth out and run a few seconds and pump the rpm up to about 1200 and in about a minute is when it starts smoking, not a puff of any kind at startup of any smoke. Dealer asked me to try a few things before bringing it over, such as check fuel in tank and filter for water, air filter, recommended changing the fuel filter while at it all have checked fine, even checked my 50 gallon transfer tank I store my fuel in but no water. Tractor is just about empty so Think I'll drain it and also my transfer tank is needing filled so I'll drain it and put all new fuel from another fuel supplier in it, all this has been happening on the same tank of fuel. Dealer mentioned adding a few ounces of 2 cycle oil to tractor tank upon next fill up to help lube injectors (I'm not to crazy on that idea) Here is a short video I shot of one of the first times it happen, this is about a minute or so After star up. Will try and get a better one in the next few days from start up till it clears up.

https://vimeo.com/150909372

Last edited:
   / Kioti NX5510 Smoking after startup. #2  
Might not hurt to add some Power Service to the fuel to clean things out.
Hope it was just the fuel.

/ Kioti NX5510 Smoking after startup. #4  
Wow! That certainly doesn't look normal. I have the same machine, but it has been parked while I await a significant snow. My exhaust has always been clear so far. Hope it works out for you.

/ Kioti NX5510 Smoking after startup. #5  
It is hard to make out on the video but are you sure that is smoke and not vapor? Have you checked the radiator level?

/ Kioti NX5510 Smoking after startup. #6  
It is hard to make out on the video but are you sure that is smoke and not vapor? Have you checked the radiator level?

All arcane humor aside, I was thinking the same thing. One sure way to tell is stick your nose in it and take a whiff. Diesel smoke and vapor from a head gasket or failed water pump gasket smells entirely different.

/ Kioti NX5510 Smoking after startup. #7  
For about the last 30 hrs or so my NX5510 has started smoking after startup, seems to have gotten a bit worse but Doesn't seem to do it every-time but more often than not. First time it done this was after tractor had been started in the morning, ran about 5-10 minutes to load on a trailer and taken back home from getting tire repair done, after getting home and unloading the tractor it set and ran at about 12-1300 rpm for 10-15 minutes while i looked for a tire gauge to adjust the over inflated tire they fixed. Got that taken care of then, drove tractor a few hundred yards toward shop when it stared blowing smoke like crazy, I got out of the cab for a moment to see if the engine was making any strange noise but it sounded normal, when I got back into the cab I noticed the Re-gen light had come on so I bumped the rpm up to about 2100, after about 30 seconds the smoked cleared up so I continued going to hook up my equipment, after about 20 minutes at 2100 the Re-gen light went off. Went on about my day working, later that night moving dirt I seen another big puff of smoke, lasted about 10 seconds then cleared up. sense then it only seems to smoke after a cold start, I have had another Re-gen cycle sense then and that was about ten minutes into bush hogging at which time I did notice two puffs of smoke at which time I notice the Re-gen light came on. again the light was on for about 15-20 minutes while bush-hogging and then went out probably bush hogged another 30 minutes after that with no other issues. Next day ran the tractor for 4 1/2 hrs full throttle discing and seemed to do fine. have not put but a few hrs on it sense then mostly just lite loader work but it still smoke for a few minutes. I start the tractor, let it smooth out and run a few seconds and pump the rpm up to about 1200 and in about a minute is when it starts smoking, not a puff of any kind at startup of any smoke. Dealer asked me to try a few things before bringing it over, such as check fuel in tank and filter for water, air filter, recommended changing the fuel filter while at it all have checked fine, even checked my 50 gallon transfer tank I store my fuel in but no water. Tractor is just about empty so Think I'll drain it and also my transfer tank is needing filled so I'll drain it and put all new fuel from another fuel supplier in it, all this has been happening on the same tank of fuel. Dealer mentioned adding a few ounces of 2 cycle oil to tractor tank upon next fill up to help lube injectors (I'm not to crazy on that idea) Here is a short video I shot of one of the first times it happen, this is about a minute or so After star up. Will try and get a better one in the next few days from start up till it clears up.

https://vimeo.com/150909372

Cold diesels smoke a white fog.

Looks normal to my eye.

If you have a coolant leak into the head, your coolant system will pressurize way, way too fast until you've leaked out coolant.

If you have a coolant leak, neighbors will point at you as the source of the fog creeping toward their property.

Check the coolant level and if normal, call it a normal thing.

http://www.todaystrucking.com/images/SolvingWinterDieselProblems91-1R2.pdf

/ Kioti NX5510 Smoking after startup.
The video is not the best quality for sure, and the amount of smoke in this video is not near as much as it has been doing the last several times. At first I thought it might had been water vapor, also it doesn't have a coolant oder. I've been around diesel tractors and trucks since I was little and this is not the normal diesel smoking at start up. It does have a bit of a raw fuel smell maybe , it's a bit hard to tell the tier IV exhaust smells much different anyway. Also when I was referring to cold starts , as when setting overnight or for a couple of days not really cold temperatures. This video was shot on a 68 degree morning but it does it just as bad at mid 70's to even 80 degree days.

Last edited:
   / Kioti NX5510 Smoking after startup. #9  
The video is not the best quality for sure, and the amount of smoke in this video is not near as much as it has been doing the last several times. At first I thought it might had been water vapor, also it doesn't have a coolant oder. I've been around diesel tractors and trucks sense I was little and this is not the normal diesel smoking at start up. It does have a bit of a raw fuel smell maybe , it's a bit hard to tell the tier IV exhaust smells much different anyway. Also when I was referring to cold starts , as when setting overnight or for a couple of days not really cold temperatures. This video was shot on a 68 degree morning but it does it just as bad at mid 70's to even 80 degree days.

Okay. If you have an injector that is not sealing it will leak while the engine is sitting around allowing it to dribble fuel into the cylinder. On start-up you will have white smoke until the fuel burns out of the cylinder. Alternatively, you could have a glow plug issue. Any trouble popping off immediately?

Try different fuel before coming to the worst conclusion. Leaking injectors need to be attended to before the engine hydro locks. You can send an engine oil sample out to in an attempt to check a leaking injector pump. The best way is to install a pressure gauge and check for leak down.

Alternatively, you can pull the injectors and pressure test them. An injector with carbon all over it is suspect. Replace all seals and o-rings.

24141058371_14de7e1384_b.jpg

23596815133_57510012ca_b.jpg

/ Kioti NX5510 Smoking after startup. #10  
FWIW, we just had a guy with a similar Kioti who had smoking issues. It seems he was using HHO instead of off road diesel and for whatever reason that fuel was NOT ULSD. He has since switched to ULSD, which seems to have resolved his issue. I'm not saying this is your problem, BUT if it's fuel related, switch to what is known source of clean ULSD and some additives, and see if it clears up. Otherwise you will need to verify your injectors. I doubt at your temps that glow plugs get activated at all, depending on your starting procedure.

Oh, and it's since, not sense you are trying to say....