Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison

/ Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison #1  

kantuckid

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 4820R
I'm thinking about a means to gain a bit stronger FEL w/o moving up too far in tractor cost or size. I'm currently looking at a 2016 Kubota MX4800 with similar hours and condition (nice!) to my 2010 Kioti DK35SE, both are geared. At first glance on Tractordata.com the Kubota has some advantages but when I researched engine torque, my Kioti has bit more than the Kubota which has 11 more hp at 38 vs. 49-so not much gained there.
The loader figures are hard to compare for me in real world use. I'd also being going from a non-regen tractor to re-gen which has it's anecdotal stories.
Kubota has an obviously stronger following overall but I've liked my two Kioti's. My current tractor has been down since April for what turned out yesterday to be a clutch replacement which lead to my looking at tractors.
Your thoughts?

/ Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison #2  
In my opinion unless compact tractor weight increases at least 50% you will not notice an increase in tractor capability in the real world. An increase of 10%-15%-20% in loader specs or torque specs is meaningless.

Others here will differ but that is my opinion having owned three compact tractors and operated others for short periods for neighbors.

I am a proponent of the KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID principle regarding tractors. I prefer three cylinder diesel engines over four cylinder diesel engines.

Last edited:
   / Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison #3  
If your goal is increased loader capability tractor torque and horsepower don't mean much. Hydraulic flow and pressure would be the determining factors here and of course a heavier tractor, too. I don't know about Kioti but Kubota will use the same loader on several members of a tractor series or family. The loader capabilities (lift power, etc.) will vary somewhat depending on the tractor. I have an L2501 with the LA525 loader. They put the same loader on the L3901 but due to the larger hydraulic pump it has more capability on the larger tractor. This may not help but should give you some food for thought. Oh, and when I purchased my tractor I stayed with the smaller L2501 to avoid potential future issues with a tractor having a computer and a DPF. Like Jeff, I prefer to keep my tractors simple.

/ Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison #4  
My current tractor has been down since April for what turned out yesterday to be a clutch replacement which lead to my looking at tractors.
From anecdotal evidence on T-B-N and my local Kubota dealer too, the operating cost of an HST or shuttle shift transmission equipped tractor is less than the operating cost for a traditional clutch & gear tractor, especially if the traditional clutch & gear tractor is driven by a changing cast of poorly trained employees. Clutch replacements are the incremental cost.

/ Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison
Well, I'm not poorly trained and have zero employees so there's that part done with. I've had old style geared tractors and more recently had two Kiotis-DK40 and current DK35SE that are clutched shuttle shifts and I like that type.
50% in weight change is a quantum leap in size. I do buy the 10-15% loader spec as not so much to get out my billfold.
Back to my comparison of two shuttle shift tractors...

/ Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison #6  
In my opinion unless compact tractor weight increases at least 50% you will not notice an increase in tractor capability in the real world. An increase of 10%-15%-20% in loader specs or torque specs is meaningless.

Others here will differ but that is my opinion having owned three compact tractors and operated others for short periods for neighbors.

I am a proponent of the KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID principle regarding tractors. I prefer three cylinder diesel engines over four cylinder diesel engines.
I'll agree on the loader spec bump, but 50% weight increase? The OP is concerned with loader capacity. Weight is an essential for ground engagement work. For loader work it's an issue of ballast/counter weight, which can be accomplished with ballasted rear tires and or a heavier implement on the rear.

/ Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison #7  
kid, Kubota's loader specs tend to be geared toward speed, whereas Kioti is more toward weight. Kubota's loaders will operate quicker and do so with a bit less weight. Kioti will handle more weight, but more slowly.

I went with Kioti because I wanted the higher loader capacity (Mahindra is even higher, but they give up speed). Pretty much can get the same amount of work done in the same amount of time, though more trips tends be a little less efficient.

Working fast with smaller tractors is kind of fun (my B7800 certainly is). Working fast in larger tractors can add to the sense of danger (think bull in a china shop)!

/ Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison
Those points I can agree with. This is a conversation after all. I have zero interest in loader speed, maybe if i was a forklift operator trying to catchup in a factory-but I am far, far from that senario. I want to work slow & safe and be able to lift fairly heavy logs at times.
Update of sorts- I fetched my repaired tractor today (been dead since late April) via an hour rollback trip-$100 up, $100 back. We unloaded my DK35SE @ a nearby school parking lot just now, with the entire clutch assy having been replaced. It is much stiffer and has a marked friction point when I moved it to my barn. It runs like new, looks nearly new and been paid for as long as I've owned it. I have zero interest in any and all new tractor deals. I saw one 2013 Kubota, private sale with 3 hours on it but no loader and the one I priced was nearly $7,000 new from the mfg. so that doesn't ad up for me. Honestly I really liked my old DK40 but it had no FEL, so it had to go.
After getting back in that seat I'm not as enthused about spending money on another machine, especially one with re-gen to meet Tier4 emissions. I'm still comparing but at 365 hours with a new clutch and fluids I may just change tires and put fluid in my tires and call it my last tractor-or tractor for now at least?

/ Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison #9  
   / Kioti to Kubota Model Comparison #10  
A bit unusual for a clutch to go out with that low of hours, what caused it?