Kioti vs LS buying advice

/ Kioti vs LS buying advice #1  

carl_lopezIs

Tractor
shopping
Hi everyone - I've been doing quite a bit of research, I've been to a couple dealers, but I need some advice to help narrow things down a bit further.

I have 18 acres of partially cleared land. In the short term I will need to build and maintain 1000' of gravel road through a grass field, dig a septic, trench for power, trench for water, and do some general thinning and clean up of undergrown and blackberries. Long term I'll be maintaining that gravel drive, putting in a decent garden, caring for an orchard, mowing about 8 acres a couple times a year, and doing miscellaneous building and digging tasks.
I live on an island (with ferry service), so rentals aren't very practical or cost effective, so I need to find one piece of equipment to do all of that! So, I'm looking at a new compact tractor with a FEL and backhoe. And then I'll pick up a box blade, rotary cutter, pto wood chipper, and some pallet forks used over the next couple months.

I've narrowed my search down to a Kioti or LS tractor, since the dealer I like sells both. The other dealer near me is a Kubota dealer and their prices are crazy high compared to the LS/Kioti dealer.
I'm considering the options below. Some of my decision will come down to availability and pricing, but while I'm waiting to hear back this coming week with some additional quotes and ETAs from the dealer, I figured I might reach out and see if anyone had some advice!

Kioti CK4010se synchro shuttle
Kioti CK4010se HST
Kioti DK4510 synchro shuttle
Kioti DK4210se HST

LS MT240H synchro shuttle
LS MT240HE HST
LS MT345E synchro shuttle
LS MT345HE HST

That's quite a few options I know, but it's essentially just a synchro shuttle and HST option in two frame sizes for each brand.

Looking at the spec sheets, the LS tractors seem in general to be a bit less feature rich, they lose more HP from engine to PTO, and they are a bit cheaper. But their lift capacities and hydraulic flow are better than equivalent Kiotis.
I went to the dealer and drove a number of them around, and the Kiotis seemed to be more refined, but I don't need that. Simplicity is nice, especially since I'll be doing as much of the maintenance on my own as possible. HST is incredibly easy, but I actually enjoyed the synchro shuttle. Granted, I wasn't doing a ton of FEL loader work at the dealer.. so that might change.
I know HST vs any kind of gear transmission is hotly debated on here, but having read a million of those threads, and talked to the head tech at the dealer, my conclusions on that topic are that a HST will cost more to maintain and suck a bit more fuel, but it will likely outlast the clutch on a synchro shuttle tractor that is used for a reasonable amount of FEL work. So over the lifetime of the tractor the maintenance and repair costs might end up equal.
So it comes down to usability. HST wins for the FEL work I'll do building the road and structures. Synchro shuttle wins for mowing and probably garden work.

In all, they seem like very comparable tractors, and they're from the same dealer, so the typical advice of drive them, narrow it down, and then pick the dealer you like doesn't work here.

So - that's a super long post - what do people think? LS or Kioti? Any features or big things I'm missing? Do either Kioti or LS make a more reliable machine? Should I avoid either of those trannys from either of these brands? Are the CK or MT2 options too small? Are the DK or MT3 options too big?

/ Kioti vs LS buying advice #2  
My only helpful thought for you would be that my LS mt225he has cruise control, I would think the higher HP models would to. So when you are doing those tasks that require constant speed (brush hogging) you just set the cruise. I like my LS, the Hydro is great.

/ Kioti vs LS buying advice #3  
LS is still "the new kid on the block" and I believe that they are currently underpriced, which means less or no depreciation for a longer term. However, both manufacturers make good tractors so it comes down to which you like best.

Here's a suggestion which a TBN member once made to another poster with the same question. Put names in a hat of which tractors you are interested in, close your eyes and draw a tag. Then without opening your eyes; which one do you hope that you drew?

/ Kioti vs LS buying advice #4  
Right now I have the CK4010SE HST and with over 700hrs so far no issues. I have seen and used the DK4210SE HST and is a very polished and highly reliable tractor. I favor HST models due to loader work and recommend the SSQA. You will find the loader, with either the bucket or the pallet forks attached, will be used almost every day. Wether its moving equipment, picking up debris or simply moving dirt or gravel, that loader becomes invaluable and used often. HST makes it all incredibly efficient.

Consider getting your tractor with two sets of rear remotes, in case you do get a backhoe.

/ Kioti vs LS buying advice #5  
I am a very happy LS owner but it sounds like you prefer the Kioti so you might as well buy Kioti .

/ Kioti vs LS buying advice #6  
As noted above, my LS MT240HE has cruise control (can lock the pedal) it holds where it is at, but won't adjust speed vs terrain.

/ Kioti vs LS buying advice #7  
I believe Kioti also has the cruise control option on both CK and DK lines.

/ Kioti vs LS buying advice #8  
Hi, I'm also trying to decide between the LS or Kioti brand for my purchase.

/ Kioti vs LS buying advice #9  
I don't know anything about the Kioti but I have a Farmtrac DTC 360 that I bought new in 2006 and it has never been back to the shop, only minor repairs that I have been able to do, they were made by LS so they have some background in tractor manufacturing.

/ Kioti vs LS buying advice #10  
....So it comes down to usability. HST wins for the FEL work I'll do building the road and structures. Synchro shuttle wins for mowing and probably garden work....

Hydro is much more efficient for mowing because you can slow down and speed up as conditions dictate such as turns, thin grass, thick grass, maneuvering around trees and other obstacles, rather than just plod along in a gear tractor in 2-high.