Kl130 Cylinder leak

/ Kl130 Cylinder leak #1  

randot

Bronze Member
Tractor
DK 40SE
Anyone else experienced static leaks on the top cylinder of the KL130 loader? I attached a pic where I found a small bump on polished part of the cylinder rod. I get a palm sized puddle of hydraulic fluid on the floor about every three days. Dealer said to send it to him to see about warranty. Tractor has just over 180 hours, thought something like this may have happened sooner due to a defect on the rod.

Attachments

• tractor1.jpg
    tractor1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 415
   / Kl130 Cylinder leak
I could not find it either until i ran my fingers across it, it feels like a piece of dirt that won't come off.

/ Kl130 Cylinder leak #4  
Warranty is a good thing and your dealer should take care of it. Leave the chunk of crud on the rod for "evidence".

In the future in the abscence of a warranty I have carefully filed off any imprefections. The rod is chromed and where the chunk gets filed off it will not be chrome but the important thing is to remove any imperfection standing proud of the rod that will rip, gouge, tear, or disturb the seal. A concave crater may take a crater full of oil each time it passes below the seal but that is a very small amount of oil.

My old bulldozer rams were very damaged due to being in harms way around rocks and debris. The rods had several nicks that were filed smooth and the seals didn't leak.

/ Kl130 Cylinder leak #5  
I have had problems with almost all cylinders leaking off. I even had the valve body replaces. The front bucket would leak off. You could actually watch it. The main boom leaked on on one side. All cylinders on the 2375 hoe have been repacked. The stick boom still leaks bad. You can see it leak off. Both out riggers are leaking now. About every 1 to 2 minutes I have to put presure back on them. They leak off and I just drag the machine back wards. I love the tractor but this has been the big draw back.

**I am not complaining about the dealer. He has taken care of everything so far.

/ Kl130 Cylinder leak
Dealer said he has one in stock and will do a one for one exchange, I just have to send it to him. Before buying the tractor, I saw a thread here where someone experienced this very problem. I went over all the cylinders very carefully when I first picked up the tractor and must have missed the defect.

/ Kl130 Cylinder leak
To follow up, there is only a one year warranty on hydraulics, just an fyi, but dealer is looking into helping even though I am past the one year mark. The defect has been there since delivery, so I will see what the dealer comes up with.

/ Kl130 Cylinder leak #8  
That's good news randot, the manfr/dealer should take care of manf defects like in a ram. Thanks for the heads up, I'm checking all my rams now with a bright light and fingers :)

(The old JD has stainless rams and no problem for +4000hrs) but I'm lovin' this coyote :)

/ Kl130 Cylinder leak #9  
I had loader leak-down problems too. The first time was due to the factory folding the "lip" on one of the pistons when the ram was put together. The second time it did it I thought I'd blown a seal again, went down to get it fixed again under warranty but it was past a year...no go, so I bought the "packings" (sticker shock! $170.00!!!). When I pulled the rams apart there was nothing wrong with the seals BUT there was alot of "crud" in the cylinders that appeared to be pieces of hose etc. I assume from manufacturing and not being flushed prior to assembly. After I cleaned out the cylinders, cleaned and oiled the pistons I've experienced no further leak downs. So for those who have "leak-downs", it may be due to junk caught between the piston seals and cylinder allowing oil to bleed past.

/ Kl130 Cylinder leak #10  
When I first took delivery of my CK30hst with Kl130, I noticed small pits in the chrome rod of one lift cylinder but no bumps. After checking further, these pits were rust and the chrome was gone. The dealer said it might have been caused by the salt air when coming over on the ship. I think it was just a faulty plating job. Either way, he sent the cylinder out and had it rebuilt locally. Haven't had a problem since and never any leak down.