Kohler 14 h.p. aftermarket fuel pump...

/ Kohler 14 h.p. aftermarket fuel pump... #1  

DJ54

Elite Member
Tractor
IH Farmall 656 gas/ IH 240 Utility/ 2, Super C Farmalls/ 2, Farmall A's/ Farmall BN/McCormick-Deering OS-6/McCormick-Deering O-4/ '36 Farmall F-12/ 480 Case hoe. '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl., 4 spd. w/3 spd Aux. Trans
BIL has a '93, 14 h.p. Kohler on his Wheel Horse. I'm guessing the fuel pump is getting weak, and letting fuel gravitate back to the fuel tank after setting for like a week between mowings. Has to grind on it for a while before it seems to pick up the fuel. Once it starts, it runs fine. Possibly losing prime on the fuel line connection, but still thinking fuel pump.

Checked online last night, and an OEM Kohler fuel pump is $136.00+. Saw some aftermarket pumps starting at $32.00. Wondering if anyone has replaced theirs with an aftermarket pump, and has it held up.

I bought a new fuel pump for my 450 Bobcat w/Kohler 18 h.p. 4-5 years ago, and was around $52.00 through a local Wheel Horse dealer, and that was the going price I found for the OEM pumps at that time, so just bought through him, to keep the money local.

Going to the local WH dealer tomorrow with part numbers in hand, to check on price, but imagine it will be the same as I found online. Anyone have any experience with the aftermarket one's..??

/ Kohler 14 h.p. aftermarket fuel pump... #2  
I would try a new fuel filter first. Ideally find one that you can see the fuel flowing down from tank to filter. I positioned my filter low beside and behind engine. There is a screen on the fuel outlet in the fuel tank on Wheel Horse that tends to clog. I ended up pulling the screen out of my Wheel Horse tank.

/ Kohler 14 h.p. aftermarket fuel pump... #3  
Got a Mode # and spec# for the Kohler engine? In all my years of service I have not seen one leaking back into the tank. If you pull the line to the carb off, place in can or jar, crank over and see if its pumping. If it is
then not a pump problem. I assume this is a vacuum operate pump. If it is didi you heck Vacuum line?

Hard starting Kohle'rs we usually found the linkage needed lubed up as the choke was not closing completely

/ Kohler 14 h.p. aftermarket fuel pump...
I would try a new fuel filter first. Ideally find one that you can see the fuel flowing down from tank to filter. I positioned my filter low beside and behind engine. There is a screen on the fuel outlet in the fuel tank on Wheel Horse that tends to clog. I ended up pulling the screen out of my Wheel Horse tank.

It has no fuel filter that I know of. And looking at the exploded parts view of the fuel system on Toro's parts page, it does not show one in the fuel system.

I'm ruling out a fuel restriction, as it runs fine once it has seemingly picked up the prime. It's a Hydro model, and I know he runs it up aganst the peg.

It's 350 miles away, so it's kinda' like trying to trouble shoot something on here for someone...

Got a Mode # and spec# for the Kohler engine? In all my years of service I have not seen one leaking back into the tank. If you pull the line to the carb off, place in can or jar, crank over and see if its pumping. If it is
then not a pump problem. I assume this is a vacuum operate pump. If it is didi you heck Vacuum line?

Hard starting Kohle'rs we usually found the linkage needed lubed up as the choke was not closing completely

Sis sent me the Model and Serial number of the tractor, which is a '93 Hydro model. I was thinking they would have the engine info at Toro... Wrong... They do however have the fuel system & pump separate from the engine. All it says about the engine that is is 14 h.p.

Original part number for the fuel pump is KH10319, which has been changed to another number I have written down on one of my scribble sheets before me, that I now cannot find... However, it is like a mini automotive type fuel pump, plunger type, not vacuum.

But now that you mention about the full choke item, my Bobcat will do the same thing if not fully choked. Just that little bit makes a big difference.

I'm now guessing it could be that, or a bit of air getting in where the line attaches to the carb. Exploded view shows a small screw type hose clamp on the fuel line at the carb.

I'll send them a note, and have him check if the choke is fully closing... Thanks..!!

/ Kohler 14 h.p. aftermarket fuel pump... #6  
If you have the toro model # the engine will be listed with it. Need the full model # off the tag, not the generic on the side of the machine. That fuel pump is a Mechanical type. I dont think that is the problem.
The part # you supplied is obsolete. There are aftermarket pumps available that will work fine on it.

/ Kohler 14 h.p. aftermarket fuel pump... #7  
my 10 HP has the same setup ... yes the check valves inside get crudded up and let the fuel slowly leak down back to the tank ... I installed a 1 way check valve just before the pump inlet to solve the problem. cheaper than replacing the pump...

or look for a 12v aftermarket car fuel pump 3-6 PSI and wire it in to the ignition switch. ...

or an in line squeeze primer bulb for an outboard motor

If you have the toro model # the engine will be listed with it. Need the full model # off the tag, not the generic on the side of the machine. That fuel pump is a Mechanical type. I dont think that is the problem.
The part # you supplied is obsolete. There are aftermarket pumps available that will work fine on it.
I did look it up through the model number & ser. on the tag. All it shows on the Toro site is "Engine 14 hp." No Kohler model number. Guess I could have searched the part number listed for the short block ,and find the engine model, but they do list the carb & fuel pump separate, so went with that info.

And I did cross that obsolete part number, and found the replacement, that's why I was wondering about the aftermarket ones.

my 10 HP has the same setup ... yes the check valves inside get crudded up and let the fuel slowly leak down back to the tank ... I installed a 1 way check valve just before the pump inlet to solve the problem. cheaper than replacing the pump...

or look for a 12v aftermarket car fuel pump 3-6 PSI and wire it in to the ignition switch. ...

Looking at the carb exploded view again, and saw a ball & spring listed, #'s 4&5. Would that be the check valve..?? I also see they are now N/A, so sure wouldn't want to lose it. :/

Where did you find your in line check valve..?? Not sure what they have in their area for parts stores, and maybe not real saavy on online shopping. May do some searching later this evening, when I have more time.

I tried the electric fuel pump on my Bobcat several years ago. They work for a while, but get hot and quit pumping. Let it cool for 15 minutes, then work fine again. The little ocsillating piston seizes from the heat, and/or pressure build up.. Works fine when it cools off... Finally tore into it, and replaced the OEM pump, and hasn't missed a beat since. The rental company I got it from put the e-pump on. Even had a fancy decal up by the ignition switch, saying to turn switch on, and wait 5 seconds before starting. I assumed it was a factory e-pump... Never assume, I guess...

Since my BIL may not be all that mechanically inclined, and thinking it may be the internal check valve, I advised him to get a can of Seafoam, and follow directions. Got an email from Sis this morning, and said he tried it. Now, it's been starting better than it has been in years..!! Seems to have solved the problem..!!