Kohler magnum throttle problem

/ Kohler magnum throttle problem #1  

cpy911

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 445, Craftsman GT 6000, Yanmar YM186D
In this video you can't hear me talking, but the problem is the throttle is very touchy. I barely touch it and it launches to full throttle. I tried lubricating several parts of the cable and linkages. It seemed to help a little. Is there anything else I can do to smooth it out?? I am basically able to run it at idle or full speed. Nothing really in between. If I barely bump the throttle from idle, it goes full speed after a slight delay.

/ Kohler magnum throttle problem #2  
I don't think you have a throttle problem you have a governor problem. The Governor is supposed to slow the engine down and it isn't working correctly. so unless the linkages on the engine are binding then most likely the governor gear inside the engine is broken.

And don't continue to run the engine like that until repaired or you will have a ventilation problem when the rods go through the side of the engine block.

/ Kohler magnum throttle problem #3  
"IF" it wasn't doing it until carb and/or cables were R&R,the governer spring or wire link was put back into wrong hole on arm. "IF" nothing was disconnected and reconnected between the way it runs,link or spring got bent somehow.

/ Kohler magnum throttle problem
I adjusted the governor and that improved things a lot. However, it now surges at high RPM. I tried to set it at about 3600 RPM, but it is hard to tell from the surging. At idle and in the middle throttle, no surging at all. Thoughts on what to try next? Here is what it sounds like.

/ Kohler magnum throttle problem #5  
I wasn't able to hear it well amongst other noise. Adjusting governors is difficult at best. Try mowing a bit to see how it does under load. Many engines surge at full throttle unless under load.

/ Kohler magnum throttle problem
Just got done mowing...it did really well under load....seems to be smoothing out.

/ Kohler magnum throttle problem #7  
Just got done mowing...it did really well under load....seems to be smoothing out.
(y) Two more suggestions. Add Seafoam per instructions on can just in case a restricted passage in carb started this in motion. BEFORE making more changes to governor,read up on it then take notes each time a change is made so that if a change makes it worse you can revert back to how it was before.