Kubota B2650 50 hour full service done, and a question.

/ Kubota B2650 50 hour full service done, and a question. #1  

Rock Crawler

Veteran Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L3560 HSTC, 2011 Craftsman Excellerator GT (680hrs), 2018 Husqvarna TS354XD, 2017 Husqvarna HU800AWD, 2019 Kawasaki Mule Pro DX (Yanmar)
The question... I saw no mention of an HST screen like what my old BX25D had in the rear axle hydraulic system. Does the spin on suction filter replace that screen, or is the screen there and eluding me?

What I did:

Yesterday I was at 48.7 hours, so I pulled the tractor into the shop and did a 100% fluids/filters change for the 50 hour service.

I started with draining engine oil from both oil pan sumps, replaced the engine filter and re-filled with Kubota recommended oil. Wrote the date and hours on the oil filter. I believe it was a 18mm socket for the 2 sump bolts.

Next, I drained the front axle, the drain plugs are on each outer/lower/rear side of the portal axle, it is actually not a metric bolt. It is a 9/16" socket or wrench to fit this. You'll need almost 4 quarts to re-fill. You fill, then go do something else and re-check it in 15 min or so and add more. It is claimed as 3.7 quarts.

Then I moved to the fuel filter. Pinch the fuel line (it has a steel spring like covering, pull the spring back and pinch with vice grips or line clamp), the plastic body unscrews by hand and you have to use a seal pick or similar to reach into the center of the filter and force it up and out. It is in tight, and it can not be spun. Just work at it, it will slowly walk up and out. Replace the filter and drop 2 new O-rings on, then screw the clear housing back onto the base. Un-clamp your fuel line and you are all set.

Next, go underneath with 2 large pans and loosen the 2 HST (suction and pressure) filters and let them drain, you will not get much fluid out yet, but do this and then hand snug them up. Then at the low point of the rear axle you will find two "lobes" that wrap around your draw bar bracket. On the outside of each lobe is a single 10mm drain bolt. Crack one loose and fill the pan and do a quick drain pan swap. Your expecting 4.5 gallons. Once you get the one done, you just have a half gallon or so in the other lobe, so remove that 10mm and get that drained.

Now lube the rubber seals on your new filters, write the date/hours on them, and install them snug. Make sure you replaced the 10mm drain bolts and then grab your funnel and fill the rear axle with fresh love.

Pull your outer air filter and blow it from inside to outside to blow out any debris, mine was still essentially like new.

Pull your radiator screen up and inspect, blow the screen and radiator clean if you have accumulated and debris. Mine was still clean and new looking so no air blowing for me this time.

Lay under the machine and inspect, look at bolts for obvious signs of movement such as cracked or displaced paint. Look for any indications of fluid leaks at casting mating surfaces. Look at everything, this is a great time to perform a slow visual inspection of any indicators that you can get in front of.

Toss your torque wrench on the wheel lug nuts and click it off on each one. None should move. But check.

Grab a 1/2" ratchet and some sockets and go give a pull on your loader/backhoe sub frame bolts. Again, none should move, but you may find some that do. Mine were all good and screamed tight.

Save the receipt for the fluids and filters (around $225 in 2018) for everything you just did. Write the date and engine hours on that invoice and save it or scan it to your Google drive.

This will take maybe 2 hours, 3 hours if you poke around a lot like I did. Now your new Kubota is off to a great start! And you have 150 hours to go before you repeat the entire procedure again. After that 200 hours, I will fall back to the recommended service schedule where 100% changes are not required that often. But the 50 hour and the 200 hour deserve to get the full gauntlet!

/ Kubota B2650 50 hour full service done, and a question. #2  
The question... I saw no mention of an HST screen like what my old BX25D had in the rear axle hydraulic system. Does the spin on suction filter replace that screen, or is the screen there and eluding me?

What I did:

Yesterday I was at 48.7 hours, so I pulled the tractor into the shop and did a 100% fluids/filters change for the 50 hour service.

I started with draining engine oil from both oil pan sumps, replaced the engine filter and re-filled with Kubota recommended oil. Wrote the date and hours on the oil filter. I believe it was a 18mm socket for the 2 sump bolts.

Next, I drained the front axle, the drain plugs are on each outer/lower/rear side of the portal axle, it is actually not a metric bolt. It is a 9/16" socket or wrench to fit this. You'll need almost 4 quarts to re-fill. You fill, then go do something else and re-check it in 15 min or so and add more. It is claimed as 3.7 quarts.

Then I moved to the fuel filter. Pinch the fuel line (it has a steel spring like covering, pull the spring back and pinch with vice grips or line clamp), the plastic body unscrews by hand and you have to use a seal pick or similar to reach into the center of the filter and force it up and out. It is in tight, and it can not be spun. Just work at it, it will slowly walk up and out. Replace the filter and drop 2 new O-rings on, then screw the clear housing back onto the base. Un-clamp your fuel line and you are all set.

Next, go underneath with 2 large pans and loosen the 2 HST (suction and pressure) filters and let them drain, you will not get much fluid out yet, but do this and then hand snug them up. Then at the low point of the rear axle you will find two "lobes" that wrap around your draw bar bracket. On the outside of each lobe is a single 10mm drain bolt. Crack one loose and fill the pan and do a quick drain pan swap. Your expecting 4.5 gallons. Once you get the one done, you just have a half gallon or so in the other lobe, so remove that 10mm and get that drained.

Now lube the rubber seals on your new filters, write the date/hours on them, and install them snug. Make sure you replaced the 10mm drain bolts and then grab your funnel and fill the rear axle with fresh love.

Pull your outer air filter and blow it from inside to outside to blow out any debris, mine was still essentially like new.

Pull your radiator screen up and inspect, blow the screen and radiator clean if you have accumulated and debris. Mine was still clean and new looking so no air blowing for me this time.

Lay under the machine and inspect, look at bolts for obvious signs of movement such as cracked or displaced paint. Look for any indications of fluid leaks at casting mating surfaces. Look at everything, this is a great time to perform a slow visual inspection of any indicators that you can get in front of.

Toss your torque wrench on the wheel lug nuts and click it off on each one. None should move. But check.

Grab a 1/2" ratchet and some sockets and go give a pull on your loader/backhoe sub frame bolts. Again, none should move, but you may find some that do. Mine were all good and screamed tight.

Save the receipt for the fluids and filters (around $225 in 2018) for everything you just did. Write the date and engine hours on that invoice and save it or scan it to your Google drive.

This will take maybe 2 hours, 3 hours if you poke around a lot like I did. Now your new Kubota is off to a great start! And you have 150 hours to go before you repeat the entire procedure again. After that 200 hours, I will fall back to the recommended service schedule where 100% changes are not required that often. But the 50 hour and the 200 hour deserve to get the full gauntlet!

There is no screen. Just the 2 spin on filters. I verified the procedure for the complete 50 hr service in my WSM that I bought with my new B2650 before I did the first service. Looks like you did a good thorough job on your 50hr service. People really need to remember to check belt tension, hose clamps, air filters, radiator screen, loader bolts, and wheel nut torque, and a gereral going over at the 50 hr service for sure. I had several lugnuts not loose, but not up to torque spec which can cause problems later. Also a good idea to hit all of the levers and linkages with some spray lube to keep them working nice and smooth.

/ Kubota B2650 50 hour full service done, and a question. #3  

I looked up the manual on the B2301 when I was exploring buying one of them. It had no mention of a hydraulic screen.

I think if the manufacturers do a proper job of blowing and cleaning things out at the factory that there should be no need for a screen. Just filters to catch very small stuff.

Ralph

/ Kubota B2650 50 hour full service done, and a question.
There is no screen. Just the 2 spin on filters. I verified the procedure for the complete 50 hr service in my WSM that I bought with my new B2650 before I did the first service. Looks like you did a good thorough job on your 50hr service. People really need to remember to check belt tension, hose clamps, air filters, radiator screen, loader bolts, and wheel nut torque, and a gereral going over at the 50 hr service for sure. I had several lugnuts not loose, but not up to torque spec which can cause problems later. Also a good idea to hit all of the levers and linkages with some spray lube to keep them working nice and smooth.

I have the WSM and tried to find the screen in there, but saw no mention. I thought I was just being to stupid to find it in the book! But that is why I wanted ask the public, I assumed someone else would know for sure!

You have to love the collective knowledge of these public boards. It allows a person to function at a much higher intelligence level when they can pull research and experience from a large pool of minds.

/ Kubota B2650 50 hour full service done, and a question. #5  
Anyone looking for the Workshop manual for the B2650 (or any Kubota for that matter) should check out manualslib

Here's the B2650 WSM

It's 46.2mb if you want to download it.

Note it's for multiple markets, so if you want to see how the Euro bi-speed turning works, and some other options we don't get here on the B2650 (front 3pt hitch for example) it's a good read :)

/ Kubota B2650 50 hour full service done, and a question. #6  
Should be no need to crimp the fuel line to shut off fuel flow, inside the black filter housing is a plunger that closes the fuel line when the bowl is removed and will start to fill as you screw the bowl back on.

David

/ Kubota B2650 50 hour full service done, and a question. #7  
Should be no need to crimp the fuel line to shut off fuel flow, inside the black filter housing is a plunger that closes the fuel line when the bowl is removed and will start to fill as you screw the bowl back on.

David

That is a true statement. The B2650 is set up as you say for sure.

/ Kubota B2650 50 hour full service done, and a question. #8  
Added that filter to my RTV1100, BX2230 and G2160 mower, works well for trapping water.

David

/ Kubota B2650 50 hour full service done, and a question. #9  
Added that filter to my RTV1100, BX2230 and G2160 mower, works well for trapping water.

David

Great idea. They are really easy to service the fuel filter.

/ Kubota B2650 50 hour full service done, and a question. #10  
Anyone looking for the Workshop manual for the B2650 (or any Kubota for that matter) should check out manualslib

Here's the B2650 WSM

It's 46.2mb if you want to download it.

Note it's for multiple markets, so if you want to see how the Euro bi-speed turning works, and some other options we don't get here on the B2650 (front 3pt hitch for example) it's a good read :)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
Now to come back to work when no one is in the office to print it off!