Kubota B2650 with Land Pride FDR2572, and LP cut quality?

/ Kubota B2650 with Land Pride FDR2572, and LP cut quality? #1  

Rock Crawler

Veteran Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L3560 HSTC, 2011 Craftsman Excellerator GT (680hrs), 2018 Husqvarna TS354XD, 2017 Husqvarna HU800AWD, 2019 Kawasaki Mule Pro DX (Yanmar)
I've got a line on a really nice (used) FDR2572 finish mower a couple hours away and I made the deal to go pick it up tomorrow (Friday) evening. My only concern is that I side slope mow my property on a 16ー angle and I'm wondering of a 720 LB 3 point mower may try to man-handle the tractor on the slope. The HP should be sufficient being that I mow every 7 days at the worst, if not 3-5 days in the heavy growth season.

I originally wanted a Woods PRD7200, but at $3,000 to $3,500 I just didn't want to bite into that price tag. I'm looking at $650 for a near new looking FDR2572, so at that price I am willing to take some calculated risk. I also assume that if it is too large/heavy, I can wash it, wax it, service it and sell it for around $1,000 to move down to a 60" if I am forced to do so.

So do you experienced finish mower fellows think that this mower is going to be pushing/pulling my B2650 down the hill on the slope, or trying to twist the tractor rear end down hill while I am traveling?

Is the LP FDR2572 known for having a very high quality cut quality? I see that the blade tip speed is just over 18,000 FPS, so I would guess that it will cut a ton better than my Craftsman (Husqvarna) garden tractor?

I'll post pictures of the mower once I get it home and get it washed and waxed. It's that ugly yellow color, so I am considering painting it Kubota Orange just to make everything pretty and color matched. Also thinking that I will immediately toss a new belt, new gear box fluid and new blades on it to reset the clock.

Do you just use 80-90 gear lube in a PTO gear box on these things? If so, I'll load it up with some fresh Amsoil lube and it should be set to mow for a few years with nothing but blade sharpening.

/ Kubota B2650 with Land Pride FDR2572, and LP cut quality? #2  
I have a Landpride FDR2584 which I used behind my old L3430 for several seasons. I now use it behind my L6060. I find the cut quality to be acceptable but not perfect. It cuts about the same as my older Befco and Woods 3pt mowers. I do like the better quality of construction on the Landpride though.

I also mow a slope similar to yours. The weight of the mower did tend to pull the rear end of the L3430 downhill a bit but it was easily corrected with steering. I didn't attempt it on wet grass though or while using 2WD. I had R4 tires on the L3430 which probably didn't help the situation.

When I purchased the FDR2584, the dealer was a bit concerned about the weight on the rear of my L3430. He advised me to take it easy when transporting over rough ground. I think he was being a bit over cautious though since the mower was within spec of the tractor and I had no problems. I assume the same would be true of your smaller B2650 and FDR2572.

I'm not sure what the dealer put in the gearbox but it appears to be 80-90 gear oil.

At $650, the FDR2572 looks like a good buy unless it has functional issues. As you say, it would certainly be re-salable if it doesn't work out.

/ Kubota B2650 with Land Pride FDR2572, and LP cut quality? #3  
I've got a line on a really nice (used) FDR2572 finish mower a couple hours away and I made the deal to go pick it up tomorrow (Friday) evening. My only concern is that I side slope mow my property on a 16ー angle and I'm wondering of a 720 LB 3 point mower may try to man-handle the tractor on the slope. The HP should be sufficient being that I mow every 7 days at the worst, if not 3-5 days in the heavy growth season.

I originally wanted a Woods PRD7200, but at $3,000 to $3,500 I just didn't want to bite into that price tag. I'm looking at $650 for a near new looking FDR2572, so at that price I am willing to take some calculated risk. I also assume that if it is too large/heavy, I can wash it, wax it, service it and sell it for around $1,000 to move down to a 60" if I am forced to do so.

So do you experienced finish mower fellows think that this mower is going to be pushing/pulling my B2650 down the hill on the slope, or trying to twist the tractor rear end down hill while I am traveling?

Is the LP FDR2572 known for having a very high quality cut quality? I see that the blade tip speed is just over 18,000 FPS, so I would guess that it will cut a ton better than my Craftsman (Husqvarna) garden tractor?

I'll post pictures of the mower once I get it home and get it washed and waxed. It's that ugly yellow color, so I am considering painting it Kubota Orange just to make everything pretty and color matched. Also thinking that I will immediately toss a new belt, new gear box fluid and new blades on it to reset the clock.

Do you just use 80-90 gear lube in a PTO gear box on these things? If so, I'll load it up with some fresh Amsoil lube and it should be set to mow for a few years with nothing but blade sharpening.

Hey Larry. That is a steal for that mower. They are over $2500.00 new for the FDR1672 that I have and that one is even heavier duty. I mow 3 acres with mine and it mows really well. I have been very happy with it. The tractor handles it no problem even if the the grass gets a little high. They are very good heavy duty quality mowers. Highly recommend them. The gear box does take 80-90 gear lube as I did change mine when I bought it used. I cant really answer about mowing the slopes you are talking, but they do ride on 4 bogey wheels, with the weight on the ground, so I cant imagine it pulling really bad down hill. Mine was the yellow also, so after I bought it I stripped completely down, went through all of the mechanical stuff, stripped off the paint, primed and repainted everything. Even put on new decals to match up nice.

20160314_170246.jpg20160403_090803.jpg20160315_161657.jpg20160322_102050.jpg20160306_120338.jpg

/ Kubota B2650 with Land Pride FDR2572, and LP cut quality?
Dude, that looks super awesome! Did you go to a kubota dealer to order the stickers? That's pretty much exactly what I want to do, I want it painted Kubota orange, Rust-Oleum paint the underside Kubota orange and replace the stickers. Basically, I'll do belt, blades and fluid, paint it like new and hopefully get many years of service from it cutting my 2.5 acres. I'll still cut the half acre around the house with a garden tractor, to many steep angles and obstacles for a small farm tractor.

/ Kubota B2650 with Land Pride FDR2572, and LP cut quality? #5  
Dude, that looks super awesome! Did you go to a kubota dealer to order the stickers? That's pretty much exactly what I want to do, I want it painted Kubota orange, Rust-Oleum paint the underside Kubota orange and replace the stickers. Basically, I'll do belt, blades and fluid, paint it like new and hopefully get many years of service from it cutting my 2.5 acres. I'll still cut the half acre around the house with a garden tractor, to many steep angles and obstacles for a small farm tractor.

Yes I did get the decals from my Kubota dealer. I just got the 2 main ones and not all of the warning ones. I was surprised but the 2 big decals were less than $20.00. For painting, it is a big area, I bought a paint gun from Autozone, and a quart of Kubota orange paint and hardener from my dealer as I knew I would be doing other projects. This was my first attempt at painting, but it came out really well.

Was it a single stage paint, or a base coat/clear coat?

/ Kubota B2650 with Land Pride FDR2572, and LP cut quality? #7  
Was it a single stage paint, or a base coat/clear coat?

It is a single stage paint. I believe acrylic enamel. I just primed and 3 or 4 coats of paint. Covered and worked really well.

I got it last night, I think I got a deal of the year here. I'm excited to get new belt, blades, tires and paint on this beast!IMG_20180316_193748044.jpgIMG_20180316_193759237.jpgIMG_20180316_193811568.jpgIMG_20180316_193830438.jpg

/ Kubota B2650 with Land Pride FDR2572, and LP cut quality? #9  
Congrats Larry. It will serve you good.

I am picking up a Landpride rta1558 tiller tomorrow.
I will be painting also.

Good luck!

Congrats Larry. It will serve you good.

I am picking up a Landpride rta1558 tiller tomorrow.
I will be painting also.

Good luck!
Any pictures yet? Was it pretty rust free like this mower?