Kubota B4690 3pt Backhoe made by Woods?

/ Kubota B4690 3pt Backhoe made by Woods? #1  

MTGreen

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 5220, Ford 1720, Deere Progator 2030
I have an early model Kubota B4690 3pt backhoe. This is not the BL4690a/b later model. The placard says made in the USA, the bucket placard says made in the USA by Woods, and all of the hardware is SAE.

IMG_20221030_210722964.jpg
IMG_20221110_065920617_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221030_210636522_HDR.jpg

Does anyone happen to know if the backhoe itself was also made by Woods and branded Kubota?

*And yes before anyone mentions I know 3pt backhoes put excessive loads on tractor frames/components/etc. Which is why this is mounted on a cat2 tractor instead of the cat1 tractors which this backhoe was designed for

/ Kubota B4690 3pt Backhoe made by Woods? #2  
As far as i know youre correct it would be a rebranded Woods.

I have a cat2 top link in my posession (no cat2 tractor) and it is still puny compared to the ‘top link’ of my subframe mounted, rebranded woods backhoe on my ‘cat 1’ kubota b8200. I would just keep an eye on the top link, especially the tractor end attachment points.

/ Kubota B4690 3pt Backhoe made by Woods? #4  
Most things are far stronger in compression than tension. Picking up the tractor with the hoe puts top link in compression. Pulling or prying anything towards you with the bucket and dipper (ie the thing its built to do) puts the top link in tension. Likely the top link itself will be ok but threads may become hard to turn and ball ends might get loose over time. The main thing id be worried about is peeling the tractor end of that bracket off, or just picking up the front of the tractor and then dropping it when your ‘digging target’pops loose.

A subframe for a backhoe, by my understanding, turns some of that into a lifting force on the bottom middle of the tractor, spread out over more attachment points and the subframe itself reinforces the tractor before it ever starts pushing on it, vs a 3pt backhoe putting all that force as a pull on the top link and its one bracket and leaving the rest of the tractor susceptible to lifting and dropping which it has no ‘suspension’ to deal with.

/ Kubota B4690 3pt Backhoe made by Woods? #5  
Right!
Use it for digging to keep from breaking something!

/ Kubota B4690 3pt Backhoe made by Woods? #6  
Most things are far stronger in compression than tension. Picking up the tractor with the hoe puts top link in compression. Pulling or prying anything towards you with the bucket and dipper (ie the thing its built to do) puts the top link in tension. Likely the top link itself will be ok but threads may become hard to turn and ball ends might get loose over time. The main thing id be worried about is peeling the tractor end of that bracket off, or just picking up the front of the tractor and then dropping it when your ‘digging target’pops loose.

A subframe for a backhoe, by my understanding, turns some of that into a lifting force on the bottom middle of the tractor, spread out over more attachment points and the subframe itself reinforces the tractor before it ever starts pushing on it, vs a 3pt backhoe putting all that force as a pull on the top link and its one bracket and leaving the rest of the tractor susceptible to lifting and dropping which it has no ‘suspension’ to deal with.
Around here, pretty much the only backhoe for a tractor one can get is the 3 pt one. However, these are setup with at least two extra top links that attach on different areas on the tractor, typically to the ROPS or somewhere around the rear end housing, so it spreads the loads on more areas than just the top link mount as shown in pictures #1 and #2.

When these extra links are not used, damage is more prone to happen, however since most tractors here come standard with draft control, the top link mount usually pivots on a shaft so it sends feedback to the 3 pt valve. This mount usually ends up acting as a mechanical fuse and avoids a lot more expensive damage like broken castings that we've seen on this forum over the years.

A couple great benefits of the backhoes we have here, is the vertical telescopic stabilizers along with the side shift feature, usually manual with hydraulic locks or fully hydraulic. These two features make it possible to work up close to a wall or fence, plus, you can slide the backhoe all the way to one side and swing to itself, making for a very compact unit. Usually around 2 ft long and you don't get the arm way out the backhoe create all kinds of ground clearance issues on uneven ground or even simply loading it to a truck or trailer, like show on picture #3.

13626542_1055787527850228_5026572424705809238_n.jpg
26167199_1586003054828670_8586964170766244631_n.jpg
311407919_5496973970398206_8778146338314643818_n.jpg

/ Kubota B4690 3pt Backhoe made by Woods?
The backhoe in question is on a cat 2 6000 lb tractor + 2500lb loader with the draft control "fuse" on the top link connection housing. The backhoe was made for 25-38hp 2000-3500 lb compacts with a cat1 and no draft control. The lower 3pt arms are further supported from underneath on these models by an adjustable horizontal swinging bar attached to the backhoe body. The top link strap is around 2.5" x 5/8" and attaches with two cat 2 pins.
I feel like I'm comfortably exceeding minimum design parameters with the setup to the point that it will last if it's not abused

/ Kubota B4690 3pt Backhoe made by Woods? #8  
Thanks for posting those backhoes. I think that’s a superior solution for a small tractor specifically. About the only thing it gives up vs the ‘typical’ backhoe over here is the stability of the side-facing outriggers. But that would absolutely store in a much smaller space and id trade away quite a bit to get side shift so the unit can ‘stow’ that way. Very cool.

MTGreen i agree i think youll be fine. Hopefully someone who’s in a less ideal situation will come along and make use of some of this info even if you didnt need it. 😂👍

/ Kubota B4690 3pt Backhoe made by Woods? #9  
Neighbor put one that size on a 125 hp for many years till he bought a TLB last year. Did a lot of digging without any issues.
I put a Mahindra by Bradco on the 3510 and is the second most used attachment after the pallet forks. It does everything a TLB can only slower, but I have the time.

That side shift is too cool, probably dig a square hole without moving the tractor!

/ Kubota B4690 3pt Backhoe made by Woods? #10  
The backhoe in question is on a cat 2 6000 lb tractor + 2500lb loader with the draft control "fuse" on the top link connection housing. The backhoe was made for 25-38hp 2000-3500 lb compacts with a cat1 and no draft control. The lower 3pt arms are further supported from underneath on these models by an adjustable horizontal swinging bar attached to the backhoe body. The top link strap is around 2.5" x 5/8" and attaches with two cat 2 pins.
I feel like I'm comfortably exceeding minimum design parameters with the setup to the point that it will last if it's not abused

Be careful considering the draft control a "fuse". That concept not correct. If there is any chance of putting the top link into compression - such as using down pressure on the hoe - You must turn off the draft control when using the backhoe .
rScotty