Kubota BX Front Snowblower Gearbox Inspection - Video

/ Kubota BX Front Snowblower Gearbox Inspection - Video #1  

killingitcountry

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
Recently I put a hockey puck through my BX front mount blower. I made a gearbox replacement video and 5-year owner review video (both linked at the end of this new video).

Here is my new video where I open the old gearbox and see why it started slipping. I figured this would get seen more in the Kubota specific forums. Enjoy!

-James

/ Kubota BX Front Snowblower Gearbox Inspection - Video #2  
I would replace it with another spring pin. I'd rather have that go, then destroy a gearbox.

/ Kubota BX Front Snowblower Gearbox Inspection - Video
I would replace it with another spring pin. I'd rather have that go, then destroy a gearbox.

I probably will repalce it with the actual OEM spring pin. If my new gearbox goes another 5 years and then I have a rebuilt spare that lasts 5 years - that's 10 years of me not having to open a gearbox haha. I was surprised to have to dig this deep into a machine to change a part that failed like a shear-pin. Why not just make it a solid pin and count on the 'actual' shear-pins to protect the blower/operator as designed? I know Kubota knows better than me, but it was just a passing thought. Thanks for watching!

-James

/ Kubota BX Front Snowblower Gearbox Inspection - Video #4  
My 2750D experienced a problem similar to yours in that the augers would turn independently of the blower. However, the cause turned out to be a little more serious.

snwblwrshaft.jpgsnblwrgear.jpg

The shaft had snapped just inside the gearbox. A new shaft would take about 3 weeks to arrive, so had one machined from a superior grade of steel for about the same price as OEM

My 2750D experienced a problem similar to yours in that the augers would turn independently of the blower. However, the cause turned out to be a little more serious.

View attachment 687278View attachment 687277

The shaft had snapped just inside the gearbox. A new shaft would take about 3 weeks to arrive, so had one machined from a superior grade of steel for about the same price as OEM

Oh wow! To me, that's caused by imperfections in the steel. That shouldn't be happening ahead of shear pins. I don't blame you for having one made - nice to have a machine shop close with that capability!
-James

/ Kubota BX Front Snowblower Gearbox Inspection - Video #6  
On my front blower for my BX2230, (which I thick is a 27050?), my augers are out of phase from one another. This allows for more even snow input to the fan. Not sure about what your manual says. Just wndering. Jon

On my front blower for my BX2230, (which I thick is a 27050?), my augers are out of phase from one another. This allows for more even snow input to the fan. Not sure about what your manual says. Just wndering. Jon
You are 100% correct, I had mine installed wrong and a few weeks ago I rotated one auger 180° to correct the issue. 10-15cm of snow expected tonight so maybe I can blow snow tomorrow and see if I notice a difference.

- James

/ Kubota BX Front Snowblower Gearbox Inspection - Video #8  
Recently I put a hockey puck through my BX front mount blower. I made a gearbox replacement video and 5-year owner review video (both linked at the end of this new video).

Here is my new video where I open the old gearbox and see why it started slipping. I figured this would get seen more in the Kubota specific forums. Enjoy!

-James

I have the exact same problem with my 2021 BX2618 snowblower. As a licensed mechanical engineer of 40 years+, I can certainly say a design with a 1/4” spring pin in shear in the gear box competing with the 1/4” fan shear bolt is a clear design flaw, destined to fail at a high rate and I’m surprised [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] hasn’t changed the design or recalled the blower to fix it. I expect my repair to be under warranty (since they are 2021 tractor/blower only have 16 hours on them), but I thought I would inquire with others to see if the same problem is common in case they give me any fuss. Have you gotten any other feedback about this obvious design problem?

BTW, James, I saw your YouTube video and it was immensely helpful to identify the problem and avoid other huge hassles in Utah’s high country in January.