Kubota BX1500D Leaky Tank Barb

/ Kubota BX1500D Leaky Tank Barb #1  

BXAK

Tractor
Kubota BX1500D
I have a BX1500D and I've noticed recently that the fuel barb coming out of the tank won't stay tight. It's leaking slightly and I feel like if I tighten the barb much more it will just spin in the hole.

Any ideas on a fix? The tank is plastic, barb is metal.
Thank you for reading and/or replying

/ Kubota BX1500D Leaky Tank Barb #2  
Can you unscrew the barb a bit, then put something like a little bead of silicone around it, then screw it back in and let it dry?

/ Kubota BX1500D Leaky Tank Barb
Can you unscrew the barb a bit, then put something like a little bead of silicone around it, then screw it back in and let it dry?
That's a thought, what's a good thing to use that is resistant to diesel? From what I've read silicone isn't fuel rated.

/ Kubota BX1500D Leaky Tank Barb #4  
Buy a fuel tank grommet and brass push in fitting

/ Kubota BX1500D Leaky Tank Barb #5  
That's a thought, what's a good thing to use that is resistant to diesel? From what I've read silicone isn't fuel rated.

I would try whatever silicone you might have laying around the house. You're only using a tiny bit to seal at the top of the barb, so contact with the diesel will be minor

Worse case is that the diesel eats through the silicone and leaks again, so you're back to square one.

That's what I would try at least.

/ Kubota BX1500D Leaky Tank Barb #6  
I had that issue on my BX22 not long after new. Dealer thought my leak was the gage sending unit as there was a Kubota repair for that as a leak issue. I pulled the tank and used teflon tape on those fittings and they are still holding about 20 years later.

/ Kubota BX1500D Leaky Tank Barb #7  
If you want a bombproof connection, try resetting the fitting in a marine grade permanent sealant . 3M 5200 is the gold standard. It will resist diesel and will not vibrate loose. Of course, you will never be able to remove the fitting.
The old standby JB Weld will work, too. It's basically a thickened epoxy.
But you may wish to use something less permanent, Teflon tape might do it, as suggested above. Or there is a kind of thread sealant intended for connections in gas lines under pressure. I don't remember a brand name, but it's not hard to find.
It all depends on how worn and sloppy the threads are. Remember that it's subject to heavy vibration.
I doubt that simply a bead of silicone around the outside will work.

If you want a bombproof connection, try resetting the fitting in a marine grade permanent sealant . 3M 5200 is the gold standard. It will resist diesel and will not vibrate loose. Of course, you will never be able to remove the fitting.
The old standby JB Weld will work, too. It's basically a thickened epoxy.
But you may wish to use something less permanent, Teflon tape might do it, as suggested above. Or there is a kind of thread sealant intended for connections in gas lines under pressure. I don't remember a brand name, but it's not hard to find.
It all depends on how worn and sloppy the threads are. Remember that it's subject to heavy vibration.
I doubt that simply a bead of silicone around the outside will work.
I applied the 5200 last night and have the barb clamped in place. Cure time is 7 days according to the packaging. Has that been your experience?

Thanks for the tip

/ Kubota BX1500D Leaky Tank Barb #9  
With 5200, I have generally found, on my boat , that it will cure sufficiently in warm weather in a day or two. I guess that the manufacturer is saying that full cure takes longer. How significant is the difference? I don't know. I do know that when I used it on a leaking hose barb fitting on a stainless water tank, I refilled the tank after a couple days, and it hasn't leaked in 5 years. However, that's water, not diesel.

With 5200, I have generally found, on my boat , that it will cure sufficiently in warm weather in a day or two. I guess that the manufacturer is saying that full cure takes longer. How significant is the difference? I don't know. I do know that when I used it on a leaking hose barb fitting on a stainless water tank, I refilled the tank after a couple days, and it hasn't leaked in 5 years. However, that's water, not diesel.
Thanks for the reply, I'll wait the week just since it's meant to be a permanent repair.