Kubota BX2200 starts then dies

/ Kubota BX2200 starts then dies #1  

Mallard1

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320
Helping my grandfather with his early 2000's Kubota BX2200 ready for cutting grass. The tractor will crank and run will holding the key in the start position, as soon as you release the key it dies.
I have cleaned the battery connections and charged the battery fully. I don't think it is a fuel issue as it will run as long as the key is held on. Any thoughts?

/ Kubota BX2200 starts then dies #2  
Check your fuel cutoff solenoid. Some tractors have two coils in the solenoid. One is active during start and the other during run. If your start coil is good and the run coil is not that could be the source of your problem. Or not.

/ Kubota BX2200 starts then dies #3  
Check your fuel cutoff solenoid. Some tractors have two coils in the solenoid. One is active during start and the other during run. If your start coil is good and the run coil is not that could be the source of your problem. Or not.
+1

/ Kubota BX2200 starts then dies #4  
If your solenoid has 3 wires on it, u have 2 coils..
The solenoid might b good but the relay might b bad.??

/ Kubota BX2200 starts then dies
Thanks for the help everyone, I'll take a look at the coil and look at the wires on it. I saw there are 2 different solenoids, I'll have to get the SN to see which it is.

/ Kubota BX2200 starts then dies #6  
My BX2200 did the exact same thing when the run coil of the 2-coil solenoid failed. Bought a replacement off eBay for 20 percent of Kubota cost roughly. Been working fine now for a couple years.

/ Kubota BX2200 starts then dies #7  
I guess it was Amazon, not EBay.

this one:

12V Fuel Shutoff Solenoid 17454-60010 17594-60014 for Kubota 05 Series BX2200 D905 D1005 D1105 V1205 V1305 V1505 V1505
13ADCBD3-03FB-4104-814E-B088B993CC33.jpeg

Thanks for all the help, Looked at the tractor today and it has three wires for the solenoid, Black, White, Red with black tracer.

Testing the three showed it is getting the correct voltage,

Black is ground.
White 12v when cranking.
Red 12v when key released.

I ordered a solenoid today that should be in next week so I'll put it on Friday and see if we are back running.

Thanks again.

/ Kubota BX2200 starts then dies #9  
Thanks for all the help, Looked at the tractor today and it has three wires for the solenoid, Black, White, Red with black tracer.

Testing the three showed it is getting the correct voltage,

Black is ground.
White 12v when cranking.
Red 12v when key released.

I ordered a solenoid today that should be in next week so I'll put it on Friday and see if we are back running.

Thanks again.

Just a small point, but one wire should be powered all the time, except when the key is turned to the off position. The other wire should only be powered when the key is turned to the start position. White would be the start wire, and red would be the run wire according to your voltage measurements.

IF you red wire is not energized when the engine is cranking, then during the transition in the key position back to the run position, the the solenoid could move to the stop position before the run coil was energized to hold the armature in place in the run position.

In other words, IF the red wire is not energized ALL the time (except when the key is in the off position) you likely have an issue with the key switch.

My GUESS is your key switch is probably OK, and you may not have measured the red wire voltage when the engine was cranking.

edit: You do not need the engine to be cranking to make the voltage measurements. You can do it with the solenoid unplugged at the connector.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the help, I put a new stop solenoid on it and it works great now. Thanks again for the help.