Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice

/ Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice #1  

EastTnFarmboy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 ROPs FEL, JD LX277, Ferris 3100Z
Last weekend I spent three days bushhogging in the woods on our farm in Missouri. Although I had a blast using the new Grand L5240 HST and getting ready for deer season, I managed to tear one of the dust covers on the tie rod. I have attached pictures for reference.

The replacement cover is about $10 so I plan to pick up two or three...I know it will happen again soon enough.

I was wondering if some of you gurus could give me some tips/tricks on replacing it. It doesn't appear that it would be terribly difficult, but I have never replaced one on a tractor so I might get a surprise.

Also, it doesn't appear that there is a grease zerk so what is the best method of putting grease in before/after I replace the dust cover?

Any special tools needed?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• FrontAxleEnd1.JPG
    FrontAxleEnd1.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 1,709
  • FrontAxleEnd2.JPG
    FrontAxleEnd2.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 1,318
  • FrontAxleEnd3.JPG
    FrontAxleEnd3.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 1,221
   / Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice #2  
When I went to replace mine it wasn't as easy as you would have thought. Of course that was on an 11 year old tractor so it might be easier on a new one. I tried a Harbor Freight Tie Rod Seperator but it didn't get it apart. It ended up coming apart with a sledge hammer and some ingenuity but it wasn't easy.

To grease it I just squeezed some grease into it before I put the new one on the tie rod.

{EDIT} I looked at your pictures and the dust cover you are replacing is different than the one I replaced on mine. {EDIT}

/ Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice #3  
I used a tool that looked like this to get my tie rod end off. The tool I found cost less than $10.00
As you might guess by the price, it is another quality tool made by the C.H Ina company. Always wear safety glasses.:cool:

/ Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice #4  
Should be easy to do without any expensive tools, just remove the cotter key and nut, place a pry bar at orange arrow and apply pressure while you hit the area at the yellow arrow with a hammer and the joint will pop out, have used this method for 40 years. Then you can loosen the locknut and remove the tie rod end and replace the boot. I don't like the pickle forks as they tear the rubber boots then you got another one to fix.

Attachments

• FrontAxleEnd2.JPG
    FrontAxleEnd2.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,299
   / Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice #5  
I tore mine on a BX23. It looks like the same set-up, probably just smaller. I don't think it is difficult, as it will unscrew without removing anything, if it the same design. see pic of part.

Attachments

• Cover (1296 x 972).jpg
    Cover (1296 x 972).jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 1,130
   / Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice #6  
Ken_CT said:
I tore mine on a BX23. It looks like the same set-up, probably just smaller. I don't think it is difficult, as it will unscrew without removing anything, if it the same design. see pic of part.

Pricey little part, I replaced one of mine that had been torn for about 4 yrs. and had become loose in the joint, only hard part was finding an old wrench to grind down thin enough to hold the steering cylinder while I unscrewed the culprit. The other side had a small tear so I covered it with a piece of bicycle innertube and wire ties before it got dirt in it, hope I can prolong the replacement of that one.

/ Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice #7  
ETF, if it's the inner boot you're replacing, that's pretty easy. All you need to do is break the lock nut on the tie rod loose, unscrew the inner toe rod from the outer, R&R the boot & screw it back together. Before you start, measure from the outer tie rod grease fitting to the inner tie rod, then write this measurement down somewhere so you don't forget it! It also looks like you can mark the inner thread. When you screw it back together, adjust to your measurement or mark so the "toe-in" doesn't change. I'd also recommend putting some grease in the new boot just before you secure it in place (& if there's any dirt in the inner tie rod, clean it before slipping the new boot on).

/ Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice #8  
Counting the turns will work also.

/ Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice #9  
I tore one of the boots on my L3830 recently. Very similiar to yours. I did the very procedure Milkman suggested. Loosen the locknut, first. Then work on getting the joint to pop out...it was difficult since it is wedged in very very tight. Be diligent and not too harsh with the hammer and prybar. When the joint finally separates, you need to count the number of turns it took to separate the tie rod itself. You will need to screw it back together the same exact turns. The boot has a smaller circlip and a larger circlip on the inner side. After the boot is off, clean up the rotator joint with clean rags...since it probably has collected dirt inside. Then regrease and reassemble. Don't forget to use your torque wrench!

I also went out and bought a pickle fork from Harbor Freight for the next time it happens. It seems a little narrow, so I plan on grinding it wider when the time comes. I can't see tearing up the rubber boot on the ball joint because of having to replace the other rubber boot.

/ Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice
Redbug said:
After the boot is off, clean up the rotator joint with clean rags...since it probably has collected dirt inside. Then regrease and reassemble. Don't forget to use your torque wrench!

How much/what kind of grease? Just put it in before you put the boot on?

Regarding the torque wrench, I don't have a service manual so I have no idea how much torque is required.