Kubota F v. zero turn

/ Kubota F v. zero turn #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Ive heard enough upside about the Fs to start hunting for one over the winter. Sights set on a F3860. My ZD331 has served me well for years, but Im still tearing too much turf for my liking. Shes also getting up there in commercial use hours/age so something newer would be desirable. I may trade it in on the F or keep it depending on F price.
So heres my question:
I have heard the Fs are better than a zero turn on steep ground and thats a big factor for me, but where would the F be inferior to a zero turn, like my ZD331?

Under low tree branches is the one I can think of.

/ Kubota F v. zero turn #2  
If you mow in a back and forth pattern a front deck won't turn back on the last pass without making a fairly large light bulb shaped turn. Kinda like running an 8 row narrow planter with a Boxcar Magnum.
A front deck shines in wide open spaces with long runs. Most brands of front deck mowers that offer 72" decks offset the deck so one side can run under overhanging vegetation better than most any zeroturn. Of course you can run the full depth of the deck under branches etc by driving head on into them. It is slow work, but impossible with a conventional zero turn. I've been at dealerships that sell high quality front deck mowers for a long time. In my opinion the major reason there aren't more of them in use boils down strictly to cost.

/ Kubota F v. zero turn #3  
Trying to mow in tight spots and hauling 2 of them on a trailer. Also the 2wd models have far worse traction than a ZT.

/ Kubota F v. zero turn #4  
Owning a 2WD front deck mower is a bad choice in most cases. Making that choice in a money saving effort won't end well in most instances.
Stay clear of the F3990 and its inferior emissions system.

Last edited:
   / Kubota F v. zero turn
Should have made it clear up front, it would be a 4wd.
No interest in 2wd

/ Kubota F v. zero turn #6  
I don't sell Kubotas or even work for a Kubota dealer. All I have to offer is my experience over the past 16 years with Kubota BXs, Bs, L,s, MX and RTVs, Fs and Z's in several sizes, actually 30 of them.
I've owned a 2wd F and traded it to a ZD3xx and then bought the 2wd F back later. I've owned two F3080s and currently own a F2690 4wd. I also currently own a ZD1211 and have owned the smallest gas Kubota Z and a 7xx Kubota Z.
I used to own a commercial rental property with 20+ units and a large leach field plus I own 30 acres home site wooded and hillside.
I prefer the F 4wd for home hillside property with no reservations saying it. I have never chosen to pay the extra for the highest HP F and do not see me ever doing so, just my opinion. I've gotten all of the Zs and ZDs stuck in small ditches on my home site and also lost some hair color riding the Zs and ZDs down some of my hill yard and prayed there was not a tree in my way coming down since they become uncontrollable sometimes on steep down hill grades especially if a bit damp grass or sometimes even high slick grass. Never have had any down hill or uphill sliding problems with any of the Fs whether 2wd or 4wd but there are a few of the steepest parts that the 2wd F would not climb going forward but could always back up them. Never have had any issues climbing straight up or going down with the 4wd F. The Fs will almost turn on their own self and only a slight swing area when turning, the back end does swing around but the front deck just turns on itself or all of them have for me using them for almost 15 years. I have bumped trees and fences with the rear end though when real close and up against them. I did prefer a rear discharge deck for many reasons but now prefer the side discharge with the mulching kit/block plate which keeps blowing grass off me, off the battery and can cut using both side of the deck. The F deck will go so far under a tree and the ZD doesn't go under the tree at all. The F is more or easier to control on open ground that isn't parking lot smooth and the F is faster in open but the ZD is a bit faster cutting around some trees, rental units and outside AC units but any open ground makes the F the faster and more comfortable machine to drive.
Just my opinion as a user of the machines for many years, not a mechanic or sales person for a dealer, just a using consumer and my experience. Also the F is much, much easier to service which I'm saying with gusto after just changing the hyd filter under the ZD1211 rear end, the ZD has 2 and the F has one easy to change one and the deck is right there open in front of me.

/ Kubota F v. zero turn
Im pretty sold, but as my working career is closer to the end than the beginning, I want to surround myself with equipment that doesnt compromise on ownership satisfaction. I want a complete mowing machine that can handle any lawn terrain I throw at it with reliability, versatility and comfort.
My ZD331 has been very good, but I sense the Fs might be even better. Still cant believe I missed on a nice F3860 with 1500 hours and 72” deck for $8,000. :ashamed:

/ Kubota F v. zero turn #8  
Im pretty sold, but as my working career is closer to the end than the beginning, I want to surround myself with equipment that doesnt compromise on ownership satisfaction. I want a complete mowing machine that can handle any lawn terrain I throw at it with reliability, versatility and comfort.d:

I'm running an F 2000! Talked my new bride into it for our hills at our first house, told her that it will be the last mower we'd ever need. That was in about 1983- 84. We bought it used from a commercial cutter @ under 1200 hours for iirc $4000 - 4500. We're on our 2nd gearbox on the mower deck, starter and clutch (done in the last 2 years) and still now our grass with it now. There was a ZD-28 in there for a while, but sold that because our next home was 100% wooded.

/ Kubota F v. zero turn
heres another F question: is the smallish rear axle rugged enough for bad lawn conditions (holes)?

/ Kubota F v. zero turn #10  
I'm running an F 2000! Talked my new bride into it for our hills at our first house, told her that it will be the last mower we'd ever need. That was in about 1983- 84. We bought it used from a commercial cutter @ under 1200 hours for iirc $4000 - 4500. We're on our 2nd gearbox on the mower deck, starter and clutch (done in the last 2 years) and still now our grass with it now. There was a ZD-28 in there for a while, but sold that because our next home was 100% wooded.

YES!!! I've mowed fields, woods and rocky, gullied hillsides with them for years. Have broken or pulled pins holding front wheels on deck on some and they need hardened steel replacements and bolts/nuts for woods mowing, low growing tree mowing. I have a field turned into a yard, not a lawn.