Kubota F2680e 72" side discharge compared to ZD326 60" rear discharge

/ Kubota F2680e 72" side discharge compared to ZD326 60" rear discharge #1  

JOHNTHOMAS

Tractor
F2690 4WD RTV X1140 MX5400 HST ZD1211
The property I mow with these is mostly level 4 acres of rental property with multiple structures and some open field areas. I've used the F2680e for 6 years and the ZD326 for 2 1/2 hours. Will take less time next time.
The Z is quicker/more manuverable between units but slower in open areas because Z rides rougher at speed than the F. Z needs almost constant one side steering correction at speed, not a big issue but worth mentioning. Z is fun F is laid back more luxury if possible with mowing.
If it was just the structures the Z would win but it isn't. Open field areas goes to F.
Grass was high and wet when I started. The Z with factory new blades and rear discharge deck was great. Much less rowing/clumping than side discharge deck would have done on same area.
Z is OK for more level land but won't be trading my home hillside F3080 72" RD for no Z.

/ Kubota F2680e 72" side discharge compared to ZD326 60" rear discharge
Barlows owner (Steve) and two staff people really tried to discourage my purchase of the rear discharge deck. I asked why and all they could say was clumping. Boy, do they not know what they are talking about. High and even wet grass when I started mowing and the Rear discharge laid it down just like all of the other rear discharge decks I've owned. Some of the high and wet did some small clumps but expected with moisture content and high grass.
Plus the being able to mow with both sides of the deck and not worrying where the high cut grass was blowing was great. And no grass blowing all over me from the side discharge deck, hate grass blowing on me1:thumbdown::eek::(:shocked::2cents:
It even cut up one of those go flat water hoses and a phone line laying on the ground really well....well it eventually spit the parts out but had told tenant 10 days ago to get both of them up off the ground or I'd not see them the next time and mow them.....I did.:cool2:
My son in law will probably mow the next time so I'll ask his opinion/comments after he uses the ZD326.
No one perfect machine for every need and condition. Each one has it's own best features/uses.

/ Kubota F2680e 72" side discharge compared to ZD326 60" rear discharge #3  
Have you checked the pressure in the rear tires?

/ Kubota F2680e 72" side discharge compared to ZD326 60" rear discharge #4  
I remodeled a Farm King 72" three point hitch mower to be a rear discharge. One of the first things I noticed was faster mowing speeds because the cut grass could just go out the back instead of all having to go out the side. I still don't have the grass spreading evenly out the back but will get there. I talked with an engineer at the factory and he said to just experiment till I get the grass shields underneath in the right place.

Have you checked the pressure in the rear tires?

I have not and will do so. Are you saying the Z should track straight over bumpy ground at high speed with almost hands off the steering sticks?

/ Kubota F2680e 72" side discharge compared to ZD326 60" rear discharge #6  
No, the front wheels would hit a dip in the ground and pull in that direction. I had the front axle set to pivot for a softer ride. The lower tire pressure was to soften the ride.
Did not have enough smooth ground to run at top speed.

No, the front wheels would hit a dip in the ground and pull in that direction. I had the front axle set to pivot for a softer ride. The lower tire pressure was to soften the ride.
Did not have enough smooth ground to run at top speed.

Guess I need to look at manual to adjust the front axle to pivot for softer ride. :) I also do not have smooth enough ground to run at full speed other than my paved parking lot/streets which also applied to the F. :D I think I'll also lower tire pressure.

Guess I need to look at manual to adjust the front axle to pivot for softer ride. :) I also do not have smooth enough ground to run at full speed other than my paved parking lot/streets which also applied to the F. :D I think I'll also lower tire pressure.

Front axle pivot was already set for better ride. Lowered tire pressure to 16 instead of manual recommended 17, it was at 24 and ride has improved.
Son in law mowed with the ZD and said he liked it better around the rental units and rental house but liked it less than the F on the open bumpy field because of the constant correction of lever to keep it going straight. Think he is probably trying to mow to fast which the F is better at with it's weight, configuration and steering wheel. He also admitted that he needs more time to learn how to control it better.
The Zs are fun but take some reeducation for us more mature guys.:D Guess the owners manual saying not for people over 60 has some credibility. But SIL is only 42 or 43. My brother is 70 and tried a Z700 at Barlows and I should have videoed it. He got on, Gary started it and showed him where deck blade engagement lever was and my brother took off at full throttle like a wild man on a carnival ride dodging tractors and equipment on Barlows lot. Came zooming back in a few minutes and I told him he may want to slow it down till he learned how to handle it better, he said "OK" and flew off again to returne at a skidding stop in a few minutes more. Got off and has never mentioned the Z again. He lives next door so one day I may let him try my Z122, if he can do a creep before flying but it just isn't in his makeup so he probably isn't a Z candidate/user.

/ Kubota F2680e 72" side discharge compared to ZD326 60" rear discharge #9  
. . . My brother is 70 and tried a Z700 at Barlows and I should have videoed it. He got on, Gary started it and showed him where deck blade engagement lever was and my brother took off at full throttle like a wild man on a carnival ride dodging tractors and equipment on Barlows lot. Came zooming back in a few minutes and I told him he may want to slow it down till he learned how to handle it better, he said "OK" and flew off again to returne at a skidding stop in a few minutes more. Got off and has never mentioned the Z again. He lives next door so one day I may let him try my Z122, if he can do a creep before flying but it just isn't in his makeup so he probably isn't a Z candidate/user.

That made me laugh. Thanks for the chuckle.

/ Kubota F2680e 72" side discharge compared to ZD326 60" rear discharge #10  
Having gone from the ZD326 to F3680, the ring of no grass around my landscaped trees is now disappearing using the F. Does the F trim as close, no, but does less damage to the grass. And the F is fast. Cut 25% off my mow time.