Kubota L3130 : First oil change : Shell Rotella T5 doesn't meet spec?

/ Kubota L3130 : First oil change : Shell Rotella T5 doesn't meet spec? #1  

hendr1x

Tractor
2003 Kubota L3130
Hello everyone,
Just picked up a used L3130 with 2k hours on it. It's been running dino oil it's entire life. I've been taught that switching from dino to synthetic so late in life is not the best (prone to leaking) but I would be glad to hear conflicting opinions. I was planning on buying some Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 (synth blend), however Kubota says they want API classification CD, CE or CF. Seems like that is NOT listed for Rotella T5.

So here I am....can I get any opinions on what to do? Thank you.

/ Kubota L3130 : First oil change : Shell Rotella T5 doesn't meet spec? #2  
CD, CE or CF are all obsolete and replaced by CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 or CH-4 which I am pretty sure Rotella T5 meets. I have no problem running any Rotella diesel oils in any of my tractors, trucks or equipment and I do (T6).

Take a look at this site... Oil Service Classifications

/ Kubota L3130 : First oil change : Shell Rotella T5 doesn't meet spec?
Great. Thank you.

And for the next guy :
  • Specifications, Approvals and Recommendations: API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-Plus, CI-4, CH-4; ACEA E9; Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2; Cummins CES 20086, 20081; Detroit Fluid Specification 93K222, 93K218; Deutz DQC III-10 LA; Ford WSS-M2C171-F1; JASO DH-2; Mack EO-S 4.5,

/ Kubota L3130 : First oil change : Shell Rotella T5 doesn't meet spec? #5  
Your T5 is fine but if you want synthetic I wouldn’t hesitate. I switched my 4440 to synthetic after 8,000 hrs and 35 years of Dino oil. Why? Mainly because I buy it by the drum and have it on hand. Worked fine and no leaks developed. Did the same on my dozer with over 3500 hrs.

/ Kubota L3130 : First oil change : Shell Rotella T5 doesn't meet spec? #6  
The old engines love the new oil.

/ Kubota L3130 : First oil change : Shell Rotella T5 doesn't meet spec? #7  
Hello everyone,
Just picked up a used L3130 with 2k hours on it. It's been running dino oil it's entire life. I've been taught that switching from dino to synthetic so late in life is not the best (prone to leaking) but I would be glad to hear conflicting opinions. I was planning on buying some Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 (synth blend), however Kubota says they want API classification CD, CE or CF. Seems like that is NOT listed for Rotella T5.

So here I am....can I get any opinions on what to do? Thank you.
I've switch very old engines from dino to synthetic with absolutely no problems. The Gravely 5665 actually stopped using oil.

Think synth blends are a silly idea. Either use a cheaper dino oil or go full synthetic or hydrotreated like Rotella typically probably is.

/ Kubota L3130 : First oil change : Shell Rotella T5 doesn't meet spec? #8  
My 2009 Kubota M6040 - Shell Rotella - T4 15W40
My 2019 Taco Wagon( Ram 2500 Power Wagon ) - full synthetic 0W40.

/ Kubota L3130 : First oil change : Shell Rotella T5 doesn't meet spec? #9  
API CK-4 oils exceed the performance criteria of API CJ-4, CI-4 with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, and CH-4 and can effectively lubricate engines calling for those API Service Categories. They are backwards compatible.

The only one you need to stay away from is the new FA-4 category that is made for the new on road emission diesels. They are not backwards compatible.

/ Kubota L3130 : First oil change : Shell Rotella T5 doesn't meet spec? #10  
If you are going to use a blend your just as well
to stick to what you are using. Use one or the
other the blend is like adding 2 quarts regular oil
and 2 quarts of synthetic

willy