Kubota L3901 HST vs. Kioti 4010SE HST Compact Tractor Pricing

/ Kubota L3901 HST vs. Kioti 4010SE HST Compact Tractor Pricing #1  

DocTrac

Tractor
TBD
This is DocTrac, new to the forum, checked this out and so much awesome info! About to pull the trigger on a compact tractor ...

Here's the situation: just received pricing for both Kubota L3901 HST and Kioti 4010SE HST compact tractors. Attachments and implements: tractor, 3rd function, canopy, backhoe, grapple, pallet fork, rotary cutter, box blade, disc harrow, rotary tiller. The configuration is virtually identical, I was very careful to match implements for both offers, e.g. shredders are both 2", 5', heavy-duty. I was shocked by the price difference: the Kubota dealer quoted a price that is $13,000 higher than the Kioti. That's thirteen thousand. Can somebody explain to me how this is possible???

/ Kubota L3901 HST vs. Kioti 4010SE HST Compact Tractor Pricing #2  
Found out the same $$ difference back in 2008 when I shopped Kioti and Kubota tractors.Both make great products just depends how deep your wallet is.I have owned both products with no major issues.

/ Kubota L3901 HST vs. Kioti 4010SE HST Compact Tractor Pricing #3  
Welcome to the tractor forums. I went through the very same process, on the very same models. Kubota L3901 and Kioti CK4010SE for their Cab models. I was also shocked by price differences, and realized the explanation is complicated.

Kubota manufactures everything in Japan (except the BX tractors) and Japan has higher labor costs than South Korea where the Kioti tractors are made. Also, Kubota dealers are larger and more diversified, and sell lots of non agricultural equipment, especially skid steer construction equipment. Kubota Corp, also quietly prevents one Kubota dealer from competing with another Kubota dealer by limiting discounting off the MSRP.

So when you include the higher Kubota Manufacturing costs, higher dealer costs and the Kubota dealer having less ability to discount equipment off MSRP. You see the price differences between Kubota and Kioti. I did indeed purchase Kioti and have been extremely happy with my tractor and Kioti implements. To my surprise, I found all the Kioti Implements are manufactured by Woods Equipment, a well established and high quality manufacturer of farm implements. I really wanted the L3901 Cab tractor, but so far with 700hrs on my Kioti tractor, I am extremely pleased with the Kioti purchase I made.

/ Kubota L3901 HST vs. Kioti 4010SE HST Compact Tractor Pricing #4  
Well, it's a Kubota.

Read into that how you want. Some people use that statement as justification to validate the higher price, some use that statement to validate purchasing a similarly-equipped tractor for less money.

Actually, while I'm not surprised there is a significant price difference, I am surprised it's that much. Have you tried getting a quote from another Kubota dealer just to make sure your original quote isn't way off the mark, making the difference even greater?

/ Kubota L3901 HST vs. Kioti 4010SE HST Compact Tractor Pricing #5  
I did the same as you, but at the time the Kioti dealer was pushing some HD implements (woods) i think and the price was pretty close to Kubota. I already had an RTV so stayed with Kubota. I am not surprised by your quote, implement pricing can very. Good luck

/ Kubota L3901 HST vs. Kioti 4010SE HST Compact Tractor Pricing #6  
nbking makes a good point. Did your quote itemize implements or was it just one price with everything lumped together?

If it was the latter, I'd ask for itemized quotes of everything. You might find the difference is due to the implements, more than the tractor. If that's the case, keep in mind that in today's world, it's very easy to order implements yourself. At the very least, you can go online and price compare.

Maybe the Kioti dealer is also giving you a good discount on the implements, while the Kubota dealer is charging MSRP. Again, that will become evident with an itemized quote. If your are being charged MSRP on implements, I think this is an area where there should be significant wiggle room in price, as the markups are significantly higher.

Finally, one more comment on the Kubota price. Have you gone to their website and priced it out yourself, and compared the website MSRP price to the tractor price the dealer is giving you? (Again, you'd need an itemized quote). It seems most people report a discount of 8-12% off tractor MSRP on Kubotas.

1.5 years ago when I was tractor shopping (albeit, pre-pandemic and supply chain problems) my local Kubota dealer (a fabulous, highly-regarded dealer) quoted me a price 12% off MSRP. I was really pleased working with them, and they were willing to do everything they could, but at the end of the day, their price was still $7k higher for the similarly equipped LS that I bought.

/ Kubota L3901 HST vs. Kioti 4010SE HST Compact Tractor Pricing #7  
The Kubota is an economy version, and the Kioti SE is a more deluxe version (flat floor, telescoping stabilizers and lower link, etc.), plus it doesn't have the Micky Mouse HST treadle. The Kioti SE is a nicer tractor at the same price.

/ Kubota L3901 HST vs. Kioti 4010SE HST Compact Tractor Pricing
Thanks for all your feedback!
I do have an itemized list from both dealers. For example, the LandPride shredder is 10% more expensive than a heavy-duty Rhino (with chains, actually). The 66" Tiller is $3000 on the Kuboda, but I see the King Cutter Rotary tiller for $1650, I can't explain that difference, since I see lots of people very happy with the King Cutter tiller. The backhoe is quoted at $8210 Kubota versus $6800 Kioti, and the Kubota charges $510 extract for the bucket, I don't get that either. I don't spot any substantial difference on the backhoes...Then the grapple is $2160 for Kubota, but I can get a good grapple for $1200 on the Kioti, it's a simple yet rigid one, I mean, all the grapples out there seem to be around $1600 to $1800 max, and that's without package discount ... It looks to me like the Kubota quote is way out of proportions ...

/ Kubota L3901 HST vs. Kioti 4010SE HST Compact Tractor Pricing #9  
It's actually not surprising at all.

My own experience shopping was I saved $20K by not buying a green colored tractor.

It happens.

Some will "justify" (trying to be polite) the difference as "brand recognition", or "resale value", etc, etc. That may be more or less important for each individual, depending on their needs and wants. I was happy to keep that $20K in my pocket. I can buy a LOT of "resale value" with that. If you're flipping your tractors and equipment (I mean buying and selling) every 5 years or so, then maybe resale value might be a factor for you. If you're going to keep it "forever", then maybe you don't care so much about that?

Other factors, dealer support, parts availability over long period of years, all can play a factor. Choose what's most important to "you" and stick to that.

Funny thing is, I would have BOUGHT that green tractor on the spot, IF they had one on the lot, and IF the dealership staff would have acted like I was a customer and they wanted my business. I guess (?) it all worked out the way it was supposed to?

/ Kubota L3901 HST vs. Kioti 4010SE HST Compact Tractor Pricing #10  
My neighbor has a Kubota L3901. It is a nice tractor, and very functional. To me though, it seems cramped and smallish. you will appreciate the extendable links and telescoping stabilizers (on the Kioti) when you hook up attachments. That middle hump on the Kubota will become annoying over time. You will adapt to the Kubota treadle, but it is still "Mickey Mouse".

Just by sitting on the two tractors, it should be obvious that the Kioti is a more feature laden and refined tractor. that said, you will be happy with either tractor once you get it home.