Comparison Kubota L4760 vs Yanmar YT347

/ Kubota L4760 vs Yanmar YT347 #1  

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless, 2022 F350 Tremor, 24ft Diamond C HDT Equipment Trailer, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
I've noticed very little discussion on the tractor forums about the new Yanmar YT347/359 tractors so I wanted to get y'alls opinion about how this tractor stacks up against Kubota and Deere, specifically the Kubota Grand L4760.

But first, let me tell you a story about my past experiences with Yanmar. About 25 years ago when I was in college in the early 90's I worked in a boat yard during the summers. I remember there were many nice 40-50ft sailing yachts that would come to the boat yard to replace their old loud smokey and underpowered diesels from the 60's and 70's with new modern diesel engines. Almost all of them chose to have new Yanmar diesels put into their boats. I recall that the mechanics thought that the Yanmar made the best small marine diesel engines and from what I could tell they really seemed to be very high quality engines.

Fast forward twenty-five years and I'm 45, just bought a small farm (8 acres), and am in the market for a new tractor. Last week I was kicking tires at the Kubota dealership and talking to the owner and I asked for his opinion of them. He said "they build one **** of a diesel engine and the people that buy them seem to be very happy". The dealer has a sister dealership that sells Yanmar so he called over and asked for a quote on a new YT347 ROPS w/loader and it was $32K which is roughly $3k less expensive than the comparable L4760. The YT347 is a premium tractor that specs out almost identically to the L4760 and has the new iHMT (integrated hydro mechanical transmission) which claims to provide the flexibility of HST with a more efficient conversion of horsepower to PTO power. And I gotta say, the YT347 is one sexy looking machine.

So my research has determined that Yanmar has been building diesel engines for nearly 100 years and supplies engines for the marine, agricultural, and construction industries, and for a good while they built the smaller John Deere tractors, and continues to provide JD with engines.

What are y'alls opinions of of the new YT347/359? Is there any reason to believe that these tractors aren't as high quality as anything offered from Kubota, Deere, and others?

/ Kubota L4760 vs Yanmar YT347 #2  
It does look nice! Overall it is about 9" longer and 4" wider than the L4760 if that matters to you. Can a mid PTO optioned on the Yanmar?

If purchasing new, I'd consider them.

/ Kubota L4760 vs Yanmar YT347 #3  
I don't know about the new ones, but if they're anything like the old ones, it's worth an in depth look. I've got a 30 year old 276D with powershift that has been stone cold reliable for the 8.5 years that I've owned it. It's got 4 geared ranges under a 3F/1R hydraulic top. It works great. select your range using the clutch, and you've got 3F/1R clutchless gears to operate with.

/ Kubota L4760 vs Yanmar YT347
It does look nice! Overall it is about 9" longer and 4" wider than the L4760 if that matters to you. Can a mid PTO optioned on the Yanmar?

If purchasing new, I'd consider them.

I believe the new YT series comes standard with a mid PTO and also two rear hydraulic remotes.

/ Kubota L4760 vs Yanmar YT347 #5  
The extra length could be a plus to offset what you do with the loader for ballast but will also need a bigger circle to turn so if maneuverability is a concern then beware. The 60 series Kubota does essentially have a six range transmission and with the ability to adjust throttle from the loader joystick makes it hard to beat. They are both well made tractors and having sold both I will give the kubota a nod on comfort features.

Thanks for the replies.

At 4:20 the tech in this video claims that Yanmar's new Integrated Hydro Mechanical Transmission (iHMT) transmission is the best of both worlds because it's 25% more efficient than a HST, continuously variable, and provides as much power output as a gear transmission. He also says if the transmission ever needs to be serviced it slides out the back of the tractor and the tractor does not need to be split.

I find this very interesting. Is this the same type of transmission that's in the Grand L's? Or is it different?

YANMAR Exhibit at the 2016 National Farm Machinery Show - YouTube

/ Kubota L4760 vs Yanmar YT347 #8  
I believe the new YT series comes standard with a mid PTO and also two rear hydraulic remotes.

The Models YT347 and YT359 do come with two rear remotes standard. Mid-PTO is not available on these two YT3 Series tractors. Mid-PTO is standard equipment on the Model TY235 and on the three models in the under 30 horsepower Yanmar SA Series.

/ Kubota L4760 vs Yanmar YT347 #9  
loader capacity / loader lift height, and weight of the tractor would be what I would be looking for in either of these tractors. When it comes to tractors, weight is good..

I have a 30++++ year old yanmar that serves me well. I wish the loader lifted more and the tractor weighed more

Tractorable. Yanmar would very much like to have you as a customer.

LOL thanks, I may very well have one of these in my barn one day. Didn't mean to advertise for Yanmar, but I am impressed with the technology the company has developed and the long history the company has even though it doesn't have the same name recognition as some of the other brands. And it helps that the YT347/359 is really good lookin.