Kubota Loader Ram hydraulic cylinder leaking MX 5000 Loader LB 702, nervous,need help

/ Kubota Loader Ram hydraulic cylinder leaking MX 5000 Loader LB 702, nervous,need help #1  

tractormantwo

Tractor
Kubota MX5000, Massey Ferguson 150, Massey Ferguson 325
Hi, I am a newbie to owning a tractor and equipment. I have a Kubota 5000 with loader LB 702. I think I can do the repairs in my Grandfathers shop. I inherited the Kubota tractor from my late father. This was his baby and it was always kept inside a barn under cover from the weather. This is the only leak on the tractor. The loader is LB 702. I have two ram, hydraulic fluid cylinders on my front end loader and one is leaking. Can anyone give me directions to how to get the replacement kit, packing kit, for my ram cylinder. I have watched several video clips and think I could do the repairs if I can get it off my tractor. It has two hoses connected. Do I have to drain my hydraulic fluid completely? If so, I will change the filter when I put back my Rottella hydraulic fluid. The connections for the hoses, are just regular screw off connections? Do you know where I could buy a replacement packing kit for my loader? I called my Kubota dealer and he said they were out because of the COVID and did not know when he would get any in his shop. He also said to bring in the cylinder and he would repair it when he gets the kits, whenever, for $225.00. It sounded high? The Kubota packing kits are high. I was told there are Internet stores to buy packing kits that are just as good as original parts.

I was told that you can order the packing kits and to get two for when the other Ram hydraulic cylinder starts to leak. Does anyone know of places to get the packing kits and the numbers for the kits?
Does anyone have a video for their replacing the seals and rings for the ram. I think I can do the repairs but am nervous of bleeding the air out of lines, If I have to drain and change the hydraulic fluid.

Any support help, videos or places to buy the replacement packing kits would be greatly appreciated. The little fluid window, fish eye for the level of the hydraulic fluid, in the back of the tractor, is slightly down every time the tractor is used because of this cylinder leak.

Does anyone have a place, a store for ordering hydraulic packing kits and cylinders If my cylinder is no good anymore?

Where would you get these packing kits or new replacement cylinder? My Grandfather who is turning 90 says he will help me get my father's Kubota back like new. I just need a little support and a direction to proceed with the repairs. I would like to make a copy of the directions for this repair and have them with me when my grandfather, brother and I attempt to do this repair.

I think I can do this repair by going slow and keeping focused step by step. Has anyone done this repair and how did it turn out? I would love to hear from you and how you proceeded with your repair.

Thanks for giving me a way of finding help with my tractors.

/ Kubota Loader Ram hydraulic cylinder leaking MX 5000 Loader LB 702, nervous,need help
Can anyone give me the name where they purchased their replacement , packing kits for a Kubota MX 5000, with loader LB 702? Were they expensive? How did you repair go in fixing the leak? I would like to read how you proceeded with your repair.Thanks

/ Kubota Loader Ram hydraulic cylinder leaking MX 5000 Loader LB 702, nervous,need help #3  
Hi ,No you don't have to drain the whole system just take the lines off and cover the ends so dirt doesn't get in....

/ Kubota Loader Ram hydraulic cylinder leaking MX 5000 Loader LB 702, nervous,need help #4  
I've repacked several on my backhoe. It's not too hard of a job but, at least mine, required a super large pipe wrench to unscrew the gland nut. My buddy owns a sprinkler business and let me use his 4' wrench. The first time I brought the cylinder down to him and put it in a vice but it was a struggle. The second time I left the cylinder in place on the tractor and loosened it up before removing the cylinder. After that I left the outside of the cylinder in place and just slid the ram part out. You just loose any oil in the cylinder but because the valve that controls it is closed (not trying to move the cylinder) nothing but what little oil inside the hoses leaks out.

Getting the seal inside the gland nut can be a little bit of a struggle. You basically just manhandle it into place. Also you want to make sure to clean up everything before starting. You don't want to get dirt on anything. What I did was after removing the pin on the ram side before pulling it apart was to put a chunk of wood between the cylinder and the loader arm about half way up to hold it up. That makes sliding the ram out then back in much easier.

/ Kubota Loader Ram hydraulic cylinder leaking MX 5000 Loader LB 702, nervous,need help #5  
The problem isn't that the job is technically difficult, it just takes biggish special tools and a selection of seals.
I do most jobs myself, but for hydraulic cylinders I will generally just take off the cylinder and take it down to the hydraulic shop for them to rebuild.
Cost is about $100 typically, and all you have to do is disconnect the hoses and the pins.
rScotty

/ Kubota Loader Ram hydraulic cylinder leaking MX 5000 Loader LB 702, nervous,need help #6  
   / Kubota Loader Ram hydraulic cylinder leaking MX 5000 Loader LB 702, nervous,need help #7  
If you're mechanically inclined and can halfway pay attention to detail, it's not that complicated. Messy? You betcha. There are some tips and tricks - if you decide to make a go at it be sure to ask before you fubar something.

20200501_130513.jpg

20200501_133027.jpg

20200501_145145.jpg

/ Kubota Loader Ram hydraulic cylinder leaking MX 5000 Loader LB 702, nervous,need help #8  
   / Kubota Loader Ram hydraulic cylinder leaking MX 5000 Loader LB 702, nervous,need help #9  
What nice photos. What tool did you use to undo the large end nut?
rScotty

Mine is an LB400, so sizes might be different than an LB702. The boom cylinders have slightly larger nuts than the bucket cylinders. I'm on OTT also, and started a thread but got side tracked. I broke the nuts loose before taking anything loose so I wasn't fighting them on the bench or floor. They popped right loose with some encouragement from a deadblow hammer. Here's the wrenches I used:

20200303_174957.jpg

20200227_175036.jpg

/ Kubota Loader Ram hydraulic cylinder leaking MX 5000 Loader LB 702, nervous,need help
Mine is an LB400, so sizes might be different than an LB702. The boom cylinders have slightly larger nuts than the bucket cylinders. I'm on OTT also, and started a thread but got side tracked. I broke the nuts loose before taking anything loose so I wasn't fighting them on the bench or floor. They popped right loose with some encouragement from a deadblow hammer. Here's the wrenches I used:

View attachment 669069

View attachment 669068

Hello, If I undo one of the two hoses to the bucket RAM hydraulic cylinder , with the bucket raised, can I remove only the inside part to the cylinder? How do I bled the lines after I have replaced all the packing kit rings. Raise and lower the bucket and then loosen each of the two connections? I will hear the air going out and then a flow of hydraulic fluid, then tighten quickly? I would like to get the tray you have in the photo. Did you get it from a dealer for this kind of repair? I have a Rubbermaid, black cement pan that is new that I could use, as you say this is a messy repair. I want to have my packing kit laid out like you have in your photo so I replace one ring and match it to the new one. Would it be easier to have the bucket up and remove only the inside rod? It would save bleeding the line to the other part to the cylinder? If I try to do this can I pull out the rod with the other part still connected? What is OTT? Is that another Internet help web site?

Thanks for the photos as I am getting everything in order in my head.