Kubota M4 Utility Tractor Transmission Whine

/ Kubota M4 Utility Tractor Transmission Whine #1  

eagle107

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota and John Deere Tractors
Everyone,

I have a Kubota M4 (M4D-071HDC12) utility tractor I bought back in 2019. I like the tractor very much, but when the tractor is working for an hour and the transmission oil gets hot, the transmission will start whining when the tractor is stopped. This have been happening six months after I received the tractor, when the tractor had 34 hours on it. The whining only happens when I turn the electronic four wheel drive on or if I step on the brakes. I have attached an mp4 video that is zipped. If you watch the end of the video, you will see that the whining goes away as soon as I turn off the electronic four wheel with the switch. The tractor seems to working fine, but I am worried that eventually there might be a major problem that will occur with the transmission. I have been working with Kubota and my dealership since the issue started to happen, but Kubota has yet to figure out what is going on. About two weeks ago, the dealership installed a diverter value Kubota provided to them to fix this issue, but that seemed not to help as shown in the attached video that I made last week. I have sent this video to the dealership and they are sending back to the Kubota Service Rep we have been dealing with. What worries me is that I only have about a year left of warranty on this tractor and I do not know if the transmission could fail after the warranty is up. My main question is, does anyone have this same type of tractor and are you having or had this same problem? If you did have this problem and got it fixed, what was the issue and how did the dealership or Kubota fix your problem? Right now, Kubota does not seem to know what this issue is or how to fix it for me.

Video Link:

Thank you,
John

Attachments

• John Tuck M4 Whine Issue 08-21-2021 small.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 135
Last edited:
   / Kubota M4 Utility Tractor Transmission Whine #2  
It sounds really annoying!

Their best hope is you would just put up with it for another year or so...

/ Kubota M4 Utility Tractor Transmission Whine
Yeah, the Orange Tractor Talk forum stated that this is a known problem with the M4 tractors. It sounds like Kubota is coming out with a PSB soon for this issue.

/ Kubota M4 Utility Tractor Transmission Whine #4  
I’m no expert on that model tractor I run a M5 111 and it surely doesn’t sound like that. It sounds like what ever type of clutch is engaging the 4wd system is bad.

/ Kubota M4 Utility Tractor Transmission Whine #5  
plus one on the 4wd engagement making noise. the newer M4's engage 4wd when the brakes are applied to give braking at all four wheels so it is definitely in that system. I don't know if your particular model uses a clutch or solenoid but it is a place to start asking questions

/ Kubota M4 Utility Tractor Transmission Whine #6  
Everyone,

I have a Kubota M4 (M4D-071HDC12) utility tractor I bought back in 2019. I like the tractor very much, but when the tractor is working for an hour and the transmission oil gets hot, the transmission will start whining when the tractor is stopped. This have been happening six months after I received the tractor, when the tractor had 34 hours on it. The whining only happens when I turn the electronic four wheel drive on or if I step on the brakes. I have attached an mp4 video that is zipped. If you watch the end of the video, you will see that the whining goes away as soon as I turn off the electronic four wheel with the switch. The tractor seems to working fine, but I am worried that eventually there might be a major problem that will occur with the transmission. I have been working with Kubota and my dealership since the issue started to happen, but Kubota has yet to figure out what is going on. About two weeks ago, the dealership installed a diverter value Kubota provided to them to fix this issue, but that seemed not to help as shown in the attached video that I made last week. I have sent this video to the dealership and they are sending back to the Kubota Service Rep we have been dealing with. What worries me is that I only have about a year left of warranty on this tractor and I do not know if the transmission could fail after the warranty is up. My main question is, does anyone have this same type of tractor and are you having or had this same problem? If you did have this problem and got it fixed, what was the issue and how did the dealership or Kubota fix your problem? Right now, Kubota does not seem to know what this issue is or how to fix it for me.

Video Link:

Thank you,
John
I have the same issue, did you ever find a solution?

No fix yet. Kubota region manager told me the Kubota engineers are still working on a fix for it. The engineers so far do not see an issue with the whine being there or affecting anything, unfortunately it is an annoying sound. Kubota did state they will cover the transmission even if the tractor goes out of warranty which will be in this September.

/ Kubota M4 Utility Tractor Transmission Whine #8  
No fix yet. Kubota region manager told me the Kubota engineers are still working on a fix for it. The engineers so far do not see an issue with the whine being there or affecting anything, unfortunately it is an annoying sound. Kubota did state they will cover the transmission even if the tractor goes out of warranty which will be in this September.
So I actually got a full engine warning code that popped two weekends ago after I had it parked and it whined the whole time. I shut it down and did a restart and the code went away but it got me a little nervous knowing I'm heading into hay season.

Yeah, you might have a different issue with the code. My tractor whines, but I never got a code. How many hour do you have on your tractor? I would speak to your dealer’s service department about the whine and the code if you have not already done so. Get in the system so they know have an issue.

/ Kubota M4 Utility Tractor Transmission Whine #10  
Yeah, you might have a different issue with the code. My tractor whines, but I never got a code. How many hour do you have on your tractor? I would speak to your dealer’s service department about the whine and the code if you have not already done so. Get in the system so they know have an issue.
Just over 200 now. Code was a full engine fault so who knows.