Kubota M5640 Seat Belt Suddenly Won't Latch

/ Kubota M5640 Seat Belt Suddenly Won't Latch #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
$86 for a new one. Can't see how to get it a part w/o cutting. So on the off chance that someone knows some tricks on fixing I ask for help. Other wise I will probably cut it open or improvise a new latch. If you have done that let me know also. Thanks.

gg

/ Kubota M5640 Seat Belt Suddenly Won't Latch #2  
Is a rusty latch mechanism causing it to stick? (no cab? :thumbsup:) Using anything but WD-40 (which isn't one), spray a bit of a penetrant into the buckle. (PBlaster, Kroil, Gibbs, Liquid Wrench ...)

(If this was cabbed or a 'road' vehicle I'd advise rinsing the faulty latch with Windex or rubbing alky to rinse out any Cola, 'ketchup', or Milkshake stickiness. ;))

If a latch spring has broken (might do the above first, don't soak webbing), I'm sure the boneyard has mucho seat-belts for cheap whose buckle will accept your tractor's 'tab'. That wouldn't void a warranty or worse would it?

/ Kubota M5640 Seat Belt Suddenly Won't Latch
Never thought of a bone yard - good idea thanks. I'm a little out of the way up here but maybe I can find one. I did try the DW-40 and the air hose first thing. I'm thinking broken spring, saw dust, or fir pitch.

gg

/ Kubota M5640 Seat Belt Suddenly Won't Latch #4  
You might try taking the buckle side off the tractor and to the local car wash. Hit it with the hot water blast. Or if you have a pressure washer. It should remove any sticky goo - if that's the problem.

It would be a CDIH before I paid $86 for a new seat belt. The Old Grind has the answer to a replacement.

If we were closer - I'd GIVE you mine. Ten years - the buckle side is still neatly encased in the OEM plastic sack it came in.

/ Kubota M5640 Seat Belt Suddenly Won't Latch #5  
The belt latches on my zd mowers get grass and dust in them. Recently I was not able to blow the junk out like usually works, so I pried the case apart (not made to come apart) and used metal tape to hold it together after cleaning. The case on mine does not affect the belt latch function.

/ Kubota M5640 Seat Belt Suddenly Won't Latch
Well I pried it apart and found a tiny little 1/4" long coil spring with the hook broke off. It's the one that pulls a keeper up behind the latch when it clicks in. Never ceases to amaze me the chintzy things there are that are supposed to protect us from serious injury or death.

gg