Kubota M7040 with grooved R4's

/ Kubota M7040 with grooved R4's
If I take the time to cut my tires, the chance of me saying it made no difference is extremely small. So,,, cut your tires. If you require significant improvement on whatever conditions you are operating your tractor, change tire type.
There aren't a lot of choices out there. R1 isn't even something I'm willing to consider. R14 I might be pleased with but there just isn't a lot of first hand knowledge out there about them. I figured since I have the R4's I might as well try to make them a bit better.

I think I will just keep them and get used to working with them before I try an expensive set of R14's or even chains. It would be nice if their was a truly competent "do all" tire out there but it looks like everything is a compromise. I guess over time I'll just have to find the compromise that fits my needs the best. In my case, it could very well end up being chains for the R4's.....time will tell.

/ Kubota M7040 with grooved R4's #12  
There aren't a lot of choices out there. R1 isn't even something I'm willing to consider. R14 I might be pleased with but there just isn't a lot of first hand knowledge out there about them. I figured since I have the R4's I might as well try to make them a bit better.

I think I will just keep them and get used to working with them before I try an expensive set of R14's or even chains. It would be nice if their was a truly competent "do all" tire out there but it looks like everything is a compromise. I guess over time I'll just have to find the compromise that fits my needs the best. In my case, it could very well end up being chains for the R4's.....time will tell.
Then cut your tires. :)

I did :)

/ Kubota M7040 with grooved R4's #14  
I choose R-1's on my M6040. All my tractoring is in dirt or snow. There are those times when I do need the extra traction.

Sounds like you made the right choice. I may even end up going that route if I find I need more traction. I'm just not in a hurry to do it. I don't have any vehicle trails going to and from any of my barns. If that changes, I might as well make the switch then.

/ Kubota M7040 with grooved R4's #16  
Rob - if I had your tractor with R-4's - I'd not worry and go with those tires. Time will tell you if you need added traction. Those R-4's will, most likely, last years and years and years.

A good set of chains - Aquitaine, or the like - will provide superior traction to R-1's. And at a much more reasonable price.

/ Kubota M7040 with grooved R4's #17  
The R-4s will serve you well, I used them for years on my Mahindra

/ Kubota M7040 with grooved R4's #18  
R1's are much better then R4's in mud or wet slick locations. In fresh unpacked snow they are better,
once snow gets packed or made into ice neither one is any good.
Even with good R1 radials in wet snow once that tire spins it makes ice or packed snow and it will not grip.

• Good Post
Reactions: jmc
   / Kubota M7040 with grooved R4's #19  
I could never use turf tires in my 'rock city' - - but a guy I'm working for this winter swears that turf tires work best for tractor snow plowing. I have no idea if he's right.

/ Kubota M7040 with grooved R4's #20  
I grooved my R4's, made a SIGNIFICANT difference on packed wet snow and powder. Ice........well.......there only chains are effective. Before grooving the tires, I couldn't make it up my driveway on 32F snow. That is the border of liquid/freeze and is the worst conditions to deal with. Grooving helped A LOT for those conditions.