Kubota Tractor Technical Survey

/ Kubota Tractor Technical Survey #1  

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
I received a request to complete the subject survey a couple days ago. Normally I would not but I was curious.

I took it and in a nutshell, seems like Kubota is thinking about adding lots of tech to their tractors. Lots of questions about things like remote start and smart phone/app based tractor controls. GPS guided, autonomous tasks. Possibly counseling, not sure on that one.

I might have missed it but I have not seen anything here re the survey.

/ Kubota Tractor Technical Survey #2  
One thing I have heard, is Kubota is seriously considering making digital keypads mandatory on all construction and tractor equipment sold, starting around July, 2121. Such a keypad will lockout equipment starting, until the assigned number code for that equipment is entered on the pad. This basically will replace keys and the hope is this will limit theft of skid steers and tractors.

/ Kubota Tractor Technical Survey #3  
I would prefer a skid plate, grill guard, tool box, etc over any more tech or electric gizmos. On second thought a cab light that comes on when the door opens would be nice but that is it.

/ Kubota Tractor Technical Survey #4  
I would prefer a skid plate, grill guard, tool box, etc over any more tech or electric gizmos. On second thought a cab light that comes on when the door opens would be nice but that is it.

Bingo, Buck.

SDT

/ Kubota Tractor Technical Survey #5  
I hope they don't add a bunch of electronic doodads to their small tractors. I costs more to add all that stuff, and it costs even more when it quits working, and it most likely will at some point in time, and you have to take it to a dealer to have them hook a computer up to it to figure out what is wrong. Ends up costing $400 to figure out that a $100 sensor went titsup and made the tractor a $25,000 paper weight.
I guess I'm somewhat of a Luddite when it comes to adding all that stuff to a tractor. It's a tractor, just leave it alone.

/ Kubota Tractor Technical Survey #6  
We're starting to see it in cordless tools.

/ Kubota Tractor Technical Survey #7  
The survey is more of a what value do you place on this feature type survey and seems geared to the heavier user. If I remember, all of the features on the survey are available on larger tractors. Yes, keyless, key fob, keypad was one of the features. Fully autonomous, vs auto-steer, and each item asked what premium would you pay as an option. Some were safety related like warning of potential tipping when using the loader - alert you that rear tires are coming off the ground, stop loader from allowing you to lift that load, and a couple other choices. Implement attachment - guidance, auto attachment. PTO hookup - what would a completely power PTO hookup be worth. Cameras - 360 vision, backup only. Collision avoidance - backup vs full machine sensing. There were 4 choices in each category, rank from 1 to 4, then which would be most interesting to you, and how much would you be willing to pay.

/ Kubota Tractor Technical Survey #8  

Pretty sure my cab has that. I don't use it, but I'm pretty sure it is like the Honda style that has 3 positions - on, off, and controlled by door switch. I can't imagine they went backwards on that from the 40 series to the 60's... Of course I could be all wet. Not headed out to the shop to verify, but that is what I recall....

/ Kubota Tractor Technical Survey #9  
Pretty sure my cab has that. I don't use it, but I'm pretty sure it is like the Honda style that has 3 positions - on, off, and controlled by door switch. I can't imagine they went backwards on that from the 40 series to the 60's... Of course I could be all wet. Not headed out to the shop to verify, but that is what I recall....

The 60 series dome light does not come on with an open door. I park my tractor in a shipping container which can be really dark. A door controlled light would sure be nice.

/ Kubota Tractor Technical Survey
The survey is more of a what value do you place on this feature type survey and seems geared to the heavier user. If I remember, all of the features on the survey are available on larger tractors. Yes, keyless, key fob, keypad was one of the features. Fully autonomous, vs auto-steer, and each item asked what premium would you pay as an option. Some were safety related like warning of potential tipping when using the loader - alert you that rear tires are coming off the ground, stop loader from allowing you to lift that load, and a couple other choices. Implement attachment - guidance, auto attachment. PTO hookup - what would a completely power PTO hookup be worth. Cameras - 360 vision, backup only. Collision avoidance - backup vs full machine sensing. There were 4 choices in each category, rank from 1 to 4, then which would be most interesting to you, and how much would you be willing to pay.

It's good that they are doing a survey. I thought it was interesting they way they presented some questions. As an extreme example just to make a point.

They might give you 4 proposed features, none of which you want and might possibly try to avoid.

Rank the following features, 1-5 stars.

1. A sharp stick in the eye

2. Bamboo under your finger nails

3. A visit to vlad

4. Marathon man dentist

Then.....of those, which would you choose and what would you pay.

It looks like hi-tech is the direction they are headed. I wonder if their marketing folks spend any time on forums like this?