L 2501- worth it to me?

/ L 2501- worth it to me? #1  

Will_C

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560, Toro 52" and 60" ZTRs, Kubota RTV 900
Have a B2620 and it has been a great tractor. Over the past couple of years, I have been putting more food plots in-now up to 3 acres. The 2620 has got the job done, but it struggles with a 60" tiller. I expected the tiller would be a bit much for the tractor, but I know at some point I would be buying a larger tractor., so I bought it instead of a 48" model.I also use the 2620 with a beat up 60" finish mower-I'll need to replace it at some point but have been holding off, because I could use a 72" RFM, and again, I know I will be buying a larger tractor sometime.

My question is, would a L2501 be worth it-would it be enough to run the tiller and a 6' RFM substantially better than my 2620. I know the paper specs say the the L has about 20 PTO hp, compared to the 19 my B has, but I read many threads here saying the 2501 has much more power then you would think. I know the tractor/FEL/loaded tires would give me about 1200pbs more weight than the 2620-not a problem for me, because the finish mower is used on a very rough 3 acres-not worried about a few ruts-it is full of them now.

I like the cost of a 2501 and the lack of a DEF, but I want to make sure it is enough. The other alternative is my mind is stepping up to a 3901-but I would rather save the money if the 2501 will work for me. The 3301 isn't much of an option, because I would go all the way to a 3901 if the 2501 isn't enough.

What are your experiences?

Thanks,

Willo

/ L 2501- worth it to me? #2  
The 2501 is impressive and feels like a lot more than a 25HP tractor when driving around and using the loader. That's because it's basically Kubota's older 34HP engine that is de-rated to a lower max RPM to stay at 25 HP. Up to that max RPM, it feels like operating an older L3800 at low RPM for the most part (of course, you can't go beyond that RPM to get the rest of the guts). I think the main limitation is PTO power though, as the specs don't lie there. It will feel like a gutsier tractor when driving around and doing tractor stuff, but you still won't get more than the rated PTO power out of it. Now if you could figure out how to bypass the RPM limiter, then you'd be on to something....

/ L 2501- worth it to me? #3  
I had a L3200... Which they de-rated to become the L2501... The L3200 was a good machine & the same as a L3301 now minus emissions. Ran a 7' flail (HP limited in heavy grass, a 5' rotary (limited by my endurance for rough ground mostly, HP occadionally). I regretted not getting the extra 6hp of a L3800 occasionally, but not $2k+ of regret it would have cost me. Ended upgrading to a L4060 for the cab.

You are talking about HP limited impliments. Pulling a non-PTO ground engaging impliment & loader work are all traction & stability limited. Which means weight. A L2501 will work circles around a 32hp B on those tasks. But other than lift capacity (sounds like a non-issue) & stability due to width the extra weight doesn't do much if anything for spinning a mower or tiller. You need more HP to spin those better in heavy conditions.

/ L 2501- worth it to me? #4  
Off the top of my bald head, I had considered moving up to a larger Kubota. After some consideration, I decided that I would go on up to an L3901, if I was to make such a move....i.e. to get more of everything....especially the PTO. As it turned I decided to live with my faithful B2620. It does most of what I want in a timely manner, is paid for, has no DPF, has a mid PTO for the MMM, and will fit into my Shelter Shed.

/ L 2501- worth it to me?
Thanks for the replies. I have sat on the L tractors-they sure are a bigger machine. However, power is the only thing I am really lacking with my 2620-I just love that tractor! If $$$ was no problem, I'd keep it and buy a Grand L or a MX-but that ain't happening!
Thanks again.

Will

/ L 2501- worth it to me? #6  
I have used both the L2501 and the L3800 as well as some Deere's in this size. Most of the time you won't notice the HP difference in the two unless you are maxing out your PTO and even then it isn't much of a difference. If I was getting a tractor bigger than the L2501 I too would choose the Grand L or MX.

/ L 2501- worth it to me? #7  
One thing that I have noticed when moving up in tractor size is that the attachments/implements are not ideal. Thus one is tempted to "make do" with the smaller attachments or lose some more money going to larger implements and trying to trade/sell the smaller ones. Then, too, the larger tractor may not fit into the shed/garage/pole barn. Hum-m-m-.

Cheers,
Mike

/ L 2501- worth it to me? #8  
I don't think the L2501 has enough power to turn 72" implements. Especially if it's a HST.

If you want to make the jump to something with more power I would look at the L4701. Its basically an older Grand L tractor. With 47 horses it has enough power to handle the HST power loss and still run 72" implements.

I have a L3301. Bought a L2501 at first but didn't care for it. I actually wanted a tractor smaller than my L3830 for loader and backhoe work. The B2620 was a little small... so went for the budget L series.

/ L 2501- worth it to me? #9  
I own an L2501 HST.

I once read on here that HP is how fast you want the work done. 25 HP will do the same work as 33 or 37hp just not as fast.

The only PTO attachment I have is a 60" rotary cutter. I cut some heavy thick brush and would not want a larger cutter. With the PTO, you know you are on a 25 HP tractor.

It is great for loader work and pulling a 66" disc and a 66" box blade.

I do not have any experience with tillers or flail mowers. So I cannot comment on how those would work.
I will say I would not put any attachment over 66" behind this tractor. I think with 19 PTO HP you will not gain anything by going bigger because you will have to slow down.

I love my tractor. I think with the weight you can use every bit of power. I also maintain food plots. I just use the disc instead of a tiller. This tractor does everything I need and the price along with no emissions is why I bought it.

One important note on the L2501.
Don't pay attention to the 540 mark on the tach.
When I first got it I set to 540 and started mowing. It felt underpowered.
Eventually I just started pulling the throttle as far as it will go. Engine max out at 2500 RPM.
It feels like a different tractor!
2100 RPM (540 PTO) is just not in the torque sweet spot. That additional 400 RPM makes a big difference !

If you want to run 70 plus inch PTO attachments you will be happier with more HP.
If you can stick to 60-66" attachments and don't mind spending time on the tractor, I think a L2501 will work for you.

/ L 2501- worth it to me? #10  
I own an L2501 HST.

I once read on here that HP is how fast you want the work done. 25 HP will do the same work as 33 or 37hp just not as fast.

The only PTO attachment I have is a 60" rotary cutter. I cut some heavy thick brush and would not want a larger cutter. With the PTO, you know you are on a 25 HP tractor.

It is great for loader work and pulling a 66" disc and a 66" box blade.

I do not have any experience with tillers or flail mowers. So I cannot comment on how those would work.
I will say I would not put any attachment over 66" behind this tractor. I think with 19 PTO HP you will not gain anything by going bigger because you will have to slow down.

I love my tractor. I think with the weight you can use every bit of power. I also maintain food plots. I just use the disc instead of a tiller. This tractor does everything I need and the price along with no emissions is why I bought it.

One important note on the L2501.
Don't pay attention to the 540 mark on the tach.
When I first got it I set to 540 and started mowing. It felt underpowered.
Eventually I just started pulling the throttle as far as it will go. Engine max out at 2500 RPM.
It feels like a different tractor!
2100 RPM (540 PTO) is just not in the torque sweet spot. That additional 400 RPM makes a big difference !

If you want to run 70 plus inch PTO attachments you will be happier with more HP.
If you can stick to 60-66" attachments and don't mind spending time on the tractor, I think a L2501 will work for you.

Great advice. My 38 horse gear drive L3830 struggles at times with a 72" tiller.