L cab seat suspension options

/ L cab seat suspension options #1  

kthompson

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubotas B2710, M6800, L6060 cab, Volvo EC excavator, 2 ZTRs and various implements.
I have a new L6060 cab. There is many threads here and other sites on the issue of poor suspension on these tractors. Have read each one I could find. What I have learned is Kubota does not seem to offer anything with working weight limit over 265 or 285. Was given the two numbers by a parts person but he also was looking outside of Kubota's seat system for me. He said he was not able find anything above 285 pounds. I weigh 240 pounds, if a seat was designed for an honest 265 pounds then I should have no issue. I have two other Kubota tractors, a B2710 and a M6800. Both of those have better seat/suspension than the L6060 does. To me the seat itself is a decent seat. The suspension seems to be the total problem. I have been told Kubota uses the same seat for the mechanical or the air ride system. Back to the weight issue, a Kubota Mechanic who weighs less than 200 pounds said the suspension is the issue.

Would those who found a replacement suspension system that worked share the brand, source, model and any other info you can on it. Thanks

/ L cab seat suspension options #2  
I suspect the suspension on the new L6060 is frozen. Most new Kubota ones are. The tension adjustment knob doesn't do a thing. Only fix I've found was removing the base and beating the heck out of it with a sledge. Lube it up good, let it set, and then break it loose with the sledge hammer. Using a vise might work too.

Once broken loose it'll work like it was designed to.

/ L cab seat suspension options
Sadly to say not frozen. Thanks for the thought. It is just weak. Tighten as tight as it will go it moves too easy from fully up to bottomed out too easy. It will hit hard enough to slap the pocket on the left fender cover. (cab tractor) Know one posted here his hits or somehow it is causing his pto switch to cut off due to it's movement.

/ L cab seat suspension options #4  
I weigh 210# and my grand L seat works great, so I haven't studied the design much.
Will some type of aftermarket suspension bump stop work? Maybe a kong type dog toy?

/ L cab seat suspension options #5  
One idea from a recent thread:
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/423296-25-zero-turn-seat-mod.html

If you want more load capacity you will need bigger springs or more of them. You can measure the wire dia with calipers or a micrometer and then length, dia, etc and try to look for something another couple sizes beefier. Century Spring is a good place to look and do research. They will sell to you online also, but it will cost a bit for just a couple springs and it may take you a few rounds to get it right, but worth looking at to start, if only for some research.

/ L cab seat suspension options #6  
I have responded to this question before. I’m not from Kubota but I was an engineer for a different manufacturer - construction equipment. ROPS standard dictates the headroom. We had a strict customer driven max height. The base was dictated by the power train under the platform. So we had a given height in which we needed to accommodate the 90th percentile operator. My issue was operator sits too low for visibility. Yes, would love to have a taller seat but couldn’t and still meet the machine height. Same thing with seat suspension. Now with the tractor in your hands there is nothing to stop you from finding a seat with a suspension that suits you. Not possible for Kubota to provide because of the ROPS requirement. Today I began using my M7-171 with same brand air suspension seat as the L6060 on which I finished the day. The M7 is very high, lots of headroom, doesn’t need to fit in an 8 foot overhead door, and excellent suspension height. L6060 on the same field but at lower speed because my body can’t take the pounding, continually bottoming out and being launched. But the L6060 will fit in my heated garage - just barely - while the M7 is 2 feet taller.

/ L cab seat suspension options #7  
I'm a fat *** and the seat on my m7060 was ok but would never give me enough height. Kubota advised me there air seat would not due either. So I went to Grammer seats web site found what I wanted air seat rated at 460 pounds. The base is wider than current seat. I made an adapter out of 1x3 tubing, two 17 long tubes drilled for tractor pattern on bottom, new seat on top. Wonderfully comfortable. you can adjust seat depth and tilt. Bought mine from tough seats Inc. They configured it exactly the way I wanted it. MSG97/741 $1300.00

Attachments

• SEAT.jpg
    SEAT.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 132
   / L cab seat suspension options #8  
I have responded to this question before. I’m not from Kubota but I was an engineer for a different manufacturer - construction equipment. ROPS standard dictates the headroom. We had a strict customer driven max height. The base was dictated by the power train under the platform. So we had a given height in which we needed to accommodate the 90th percentile operator. My issue was operator sits too low for visibility. Yes, would love to have a taller seat but couldn’t and still meet the machine height. Same thing with seat suspension. Now with the tractor in your hands there is nothing to stop you from finding a seat with a suspension that suits you. Not possible for Kubota to provide because of the ROPS requirement. Today I began using my M7-171 with same brand air suspension seat as the L6060 on which I finished the day. The M7 is very high, lots of headroom, doesn’t need to fit in an 8 foot overhead door, and excellent suspension height. L6060 on the same field but at lower speed because my body can’t take the pounding, continually bottoming out and being launched. But the L6060 will fit in my heated garage - just barely - while the M7 is 2 feet taller.

All things being equal, a heavier tractor, wider/longer tractor or bigger tires will give for a smoother ride. Comparing the same seat in the 2 machines will give different results. So possibly a bit of an apples to oranges comparison.

I'm quite sure your engineering analysis explains at least part of the reason some of the seats suck. For similar reasons the same OEM can have similar seats that perform very differently.

On the replies, some interesting points. It is a shame how much our government has to protect us from ourselves. Man does not have the ability to prevent being dumb.

Right now have four tractors. Three Kubota's and one JD. One is a B2710, M6800 both open station and about 20 years old and a JD 5525 with cab and air ride seat. The JD will weigh at least twice the M6800 and wheel base is about the same. Great ride, yes it is like riding on clouds as someone else posted. The shortest and simplest is the B2710 with a simple seat with only cushion for ride comfort, no suspension. It is light weight, short and narrow. It is a better ride than the L6060 is. Both have same type of tires (R4) to me the L6060 should have advantage over the B2710 for ride. It does not.

Not forgetting the safety regs here but when a company says it seat is made for up to 265 pound person and it fails for much light it is false adverting or equipment failure. I have given up on Kubota having an option for that tractor listed but think there is a suspension that will work well. Just to find it. I really appreciate each suggestion and yes did read each and links.

Just got off the phone with my dealer. He is to talk with Kubota on this. I told him new tractor, my weight is per doctor's office 25 pounds less than Kubota tells you than the maximum it is built. So tell Kubota to take care of it. Hope they do for don't want to have to take the next step. Will keep you posted.