L Series questions

MiserableOldFart

Gold Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
I was looking at the L series tractors today, and didn't think to ask the dealer, but am wondering about a few things: I didn't see any lever on the tractors for 2 wheel / 4 wheel drive. They are part time 4 wheel drive, aren't they? The dealer had both 00 and 01 series tractors and they pretty much look identical. Does anyone have a preference for either? I guess the 01 is going to replace the 00s, but there were quite a few 00s on the lot. The only obvious difference I could see was that the newer model has a front/back lever control for throttle, and the older has a pivoting lever.

It seems that the brake and HST control, like my NH TC26DA are both on the right side, a situation that never made sense to me if one ever wants to use one sided braking in turns. Are people able to do that with these tractors?

The dealer didn't have any of the Grand L Series, so I would assume that the standard Ls either the most popular or don't sell much at all. He had BXs but only a couple B2620s on the lot, so I guess the standard Ls are his bread and butter, along with the BXs and the garden tractors and the much larger ones.

Couldn't tell by looking at 3pt the lever, either.. do the standard Ls come with position control on the 3pt?

Mikeeemo

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400
The 2/4 WD lever is behind the heel of your left foot.

Position control is standard. Draft sensing is optional.

The sale of L vs Grand L varies by market. Both are popular.

The whole brakes behind the hydro pedal has been on going. I have the gear model, so I am accustomed to steering with the brakes.

Over all they are a good tractor.

Grandad4

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230, Farmall Super M
The brake and HST pedal placement is a topic of endless debate. I've been using my Grand L for 12 years now and find the only time the split brakes are used is when bushhogging an open field and I want to make square corner turns. By setting the cruise control (an option on the Standard L models, included on Grand L's), the tractor operates just like a gear tractor and you can use the split brakes. For anything else, I just don't need the split brakes. If there were lots of traditional field work it might be a different story and I know using the split brakes is a lifetime habit for lots of folks. I think the new Grand L's have a different brake setup.

The new models are Tier 4 and have additional emission controls, adding to cost, etc. Many buyers have been snapping up the older models.

OP
MiserableOldFart

MiserableOldFart

Gold Member
Tractor
Thank you, Mikeeemo, and Grandad4. I doubt I'll ever be able to afford it, but I'm looking for a bigger, more powerful tractor whose rear wheels fit within the confines of my five foot implements. The smaller L series fills the bill. I wonder if anyone who has the HST has figured out a way to use the brakes for turning. Maybe there is a way to tilt your foot in such a way as to control two pedals at the same time? I've never experimented with it on the NH TC26DA, but it might be possible..

Doesn't braking turn off the cruise control? It does on my NH. I would try to use one brake with the cruise control, but while scraping ice I broke the switch on mine, which I seldom use, and NH,with their "parts made of gold" philosophy, charges like $65 for a new plastic switch, so I haven't replaced it.

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
Some people can do the "kubota shuffle" and operate both pedals at the same time. I never had much luck at it. The Cruise control method works. The cruise control on the L's is mechanical, not electro/magnetic in nature and when the brakes are split you can press one brake and the cruise will still remain set.

The newer Kubota Grand L 60 series have the brakes over on the left now. My Kioti is that way also. Very easy to split brake operate. Very handy when scraping ice and you have no other steering method.

Bluegill2

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800DT, L3750DT Shuttle
With 4wd, turning with brakes is kind of obsolete. I used to have to do it on our old 2wd tractor, but rarely use brakes to turn anymore.

I personally love the basic L series and prefer gear drive, so all the peddle are in the right places... :cool:

tractorshopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380
I have a hydro L3800 and did not get cruise control. I have never tried to use the brake steering. I think with cruise it would work, but is probably too hard to maneuver without the cruise or gear tractor. I will say, I've always wanted to try though, just to see what brake steering is like. I'm not much of a dancer, so the "Kubota shuffle" as K0ua called it is probably not in my future.

Rocky Hoffler

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4600
Cruise control on my l4600 hst just moves hst pedal and keeps it there I never use the brakes just let off on pedal or pivot it to go backward brakes will probably last forever on mine. the lever control for 4 wd is on left side next to differential lock pull up to engage I think l4600 being replaced by L4701 which is tier 4

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
I'm not much of a dancer, so the "kubota shuffle" as K0ua called it is probably not in my future.

I was told once some years ago by a scholar of all things Kubota, that the "kubota shuffle" was best done wearing a tu-tu.

I quickly gave up all hopes of mastering that particular skill. :laughing:

art

Tractor
all makes and models
Many people remember the old two wheel drive tractors that were brake turn tractors but they are a thing of the past. So is brake turning for anyone that knows tractors. The old two wheel drive tractors were set up with only 25% of the weight on the front where todays four wheel drive tractors are set up normally with 40% on the front. Now lets throw a loader on it!
The added stress to the parts by brake steering a four wheel drive probably won't make a difference to the manufacturer under warrantee but it sure will increase cost of ownership!

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
Some good points about diminished returns of brake steering with a 4wd with a loaded FEL.
But still necessary when towing something through mud or something that makes the front end lite, like skidding logs, brushing, etc. Also good for quickly kicking the differential over to the non spinning tire without stopping and locking.

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
Some good points about diminished returns of brake steering with a 4wd with a loaded FEL.
But still necessary when towing something through mud or something that makes the front end lite, like skidding logs, brushing, etc. Also good for quickly kicking the differential over to the non spinning tire without stopping and locking.

Also good for any kind of ground scraping operation where you have "unloaded" the weight off of the front end. If you are working on a slope you will always fall downhill, and with your front end light you will not be able to compensate with just the wheel steering, you need brake steering. It can mean the difference in getting the job done or not.

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
If I need to turn really sharp on my L3200 I'll ride side saddle for a minute with both feet on the right. I assume that's the Kubota shuffle. Annoying, but very doable on the occasion its needed, which quite frankly isn't that often.

w0eaj

Tractor
Kubota L3031DT
As a very young kid, driving the Farmall "H", I was too weak to push both pedals, so learned to turn using "each". Ultimately, I'd just flip the little piece of metal over to lock the pedals together, and it was a happy time. On my L3031DT Kub', I've found that differential-braking is not used very much at all, but I can see the usefulness on icy surfaces. I would NOT use it at all in 4WD (they've already told you where the control is, so I won't repeat - BUT switch it when in NEUTRAL, with clutch IN - it costs less $$$$ that way.

Mikeeemo

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400
My L4400 is 4WD. I use the brakes when mowing or plowing. Ya' need to be in 2WD with the loader removed to be effective. I also may have failed to mention that mine is a gear model.

I save a significant amount of time brush mowing by using this method. Just pay attention to the ground, as spinning the machine around while hitting a 'dip' can cause you to soil yourself. ;-)

number9L

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
I have the L3800 HST 4x4 with cruise. Using the cutting brakes is seldom done as it's a PITA. With the pedals locked together, if you push the brake it kicks the cruise off. With the pedals unlocked, you can push one brake pedal (RH one I think) and it works, but the LH brake kicks the cruise off.

OP
MiserableOldFart

MiserableOldFart

Gold Member
Tractor
Thanks for all the info folks. On my NH, I have considered taking a heavy dowel or old shovel handle on board and trying to brake steer using that. It's not something I would do often, but it seems kind of silly to have the feature there and make it that hard to use.

Here's another question. I haven't done a lot of research on this one, but one of the the few things I dislike about NH is that their parts seem over-the-top expensive. Parts both large and small seem astronomically priced. Now, $8 for an oil filter is part of the game IMHO, but $20 if you lose the little round knob on top of the loader handle and $65 for a dashboard switch for the cruise control (and these are discounted prices, not list) seem really gouging to me. How are Kubota parts priced?

jeff9366

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3,700 pounds bare tractor; 5,400 pounds operating weight ~~~~~~~~ 37 horsepower
How are Kubota parts priced?

The same.

Kubota dealer ordered some parts for me recently, ordered a Kubota linch pin too, though I did not ask for it. Kubota lynch pin invoiced at $14. Same lynch pin at the TSC six miles away was <$1.00.

s219

Tractor
Kubota L3200, Deere X380, Kubota RTV-X
Thanks for all the info folks. On my NH, I have considered taking a heavy dowel or old shovel handle on board and trying to brake steer using that. It's not something I would do often, but it seems kind of silly to have the feature there and make it that hard to use.

Here's another question. I haven't done a lot of research on this one, but one of the the few things I dislike about NH is that their parts seem over-the-top expensive. Parts both large and small seem astronomically priced. Now, $8 for an oil filter is part of the game IMHO, but $20 if you lose the little round knob on top of the loader handle and $65 for a dashboard switch for the cruise control (and these are discounted prices, not list) seem really gouging to me. How are Kubota parts priced?

I had to get some Kubota parts to replace the "stop" knob assembly for the 3-pt lever, and some of the parts were priced in cents. I think the knob itself was $4. Not unreasonable to me.

jthorne

Tractor
Kubota L4600; Kubota 4 in 1 LA714 FEL; 5' HD Jarrett Slasher.
Took delivery of my new (assembled in Thailand), L4600 DT Gear model Kubota with LA714 FEL with 4 in 1 bucket. Did 18 hours work in the first two days. Works great. Included in the purchase was a 5' HD Jarrett clutched slasher for mowing down the fast growing grass in the paddocks.
I don't have an issue with it being made in Thailand. It's a brilliant tractor and perfectly sized for my needs and after 8 hours of steady use it only consumed 42 Litres (11 gallons) of diesel.
I agree that the foot step is a little flimsy, the only other fault that I have found so far is the loose electrical wires that run from the 4 in 1 bucket open/close activation buttons and lock-out switch down to the hydraulic relay servos. Whilst I was clearing some scrub a stick shot up and broke the wires. Does anyone know where the fuses (if any)for the Loader attachment are located. When I get it sorted I'm going to make guard to stop any sticks snagging the wiring again.
Jon

Grandad4

Elite Member
Tractor
Welcome to TBN, Jon. Glad that new tractor does the job for you. 4-in1 setups are less common on compact tractors here in the states but I understand they're pretty standard fare in Oz. The wiring was probably done locally. Have you checked the tractor fuse box? There's usually an open slot available for adding something like what you've got.

Fallon

Tractor
My L3200 has the fuse box by the clutch on the left. There are open slots in it, but they are empty & unpowered. I've never figured out the proper parts to power those empty sockets & have put in fuses externally to the box. Dam shame too, would be maybe a buck to setup owners for easier future expansion.

jthorne

Tractor
Thanks Grandad4, TBN is a great forum. I'm so glad I stumbled on it when I was searching for information about which tractor to buy. Yep, most FEL's here are 4 in 1 and a good thing too, they're so useful. Pulling up posts and grabbing logs is a breeze. I checked the fuse box under the bonnet at the front next to the radiator, but none of the slot descriptions appeared to be relevant to an attachment and the spare slots were empty. I'll talk with the dealer.

jthorne

Tractor
Thanks for the input Fallon, I don't know either what the spare slots are for; it may be a general fuse box that is used for various Kubota models with different engines, turbos, transmissions etc. that require more slots. I can see that I'll need to get hold of a workshop manual complete with wiring diagrams. I did a Google search and the only one I found was about $100 AUD dollars ($73 USD) which seems a bit steep so I'm going to keep looking when I get home from work this arvo.

Grandad4

Elite Member
Tractor
That seems about the going rate for the shop manuals. Pricey but worth every penny if you do your own maintenance/repairs.

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
Some tractors are more suited for doing the Kubota shuffle than others. I can easily do this on the L3240. It is a lot more difficult on the L3800. While you are calling it the Kubota shuffle if you are using an old CK25 it is also the Kioti shuffle. It is virtually impossible to do on the Kioti because the brake pedal is mounted on the right side of the HST pedal. The Kubotas brake pedal is on the right side of the tractor, but on the left side of the HST pedal. The L3240 is the only of the three tractors with cruise control, but you can't use it and the brakes at the same time. It disengages CC the second you touch the brakes. I haven't even looked into it, but the HST and CC is electronic controlled, so I'm sure it would be difficult to disable the safety.I hardly ever use brake steering anyway. It tears up the grass when you do it. When I am plowing it is quicker to back up than turn around. I have used both, and I highly recommend the Grand L over the standard L.

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
Some tractors are more suited for doing the Kubota shuffle than others. I can easily do this on the L3240. It is a lot more difficult on the L3800. While you are calling it the Kubota shuffle if you are using an old CK25 it is also the Kioti shuffle. It is virtually impossible to do on the Kioti because the brake pedal is mounted on the right side of the HST pedal. The Kubotas brake pedal is on the right side of the tractor, but on the left side of the HST pedal. The L3240 is the only of the three tractors with cruise control, but you can't use it and the brakes at the same time. It disengages CC the second you touch the brakes. I haven't even looked into it, but the HST and CC is electronic controlled, so I'm sure it would be difficult to disable the safety. I have used both
, and I highly recommend the Grand L over the standard L.

Remember on the "standard" L's the Cruise Control is mechanical in nature not electronic, so you can use cruise on the L3400,L3700,L3800, L3200 etc while stomping one or other of the brakes. Only when you press both brakes at the same time does it push the lever backward, canceling the cruise. You can also adjust the speed by moving the cruise lever itself.

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
I have never used a mechanical CC worth a sh!t. I will take the electronic CC even with this handicap any day. A rarely use CC or brake steering anyway.

jthorne

Tractor
That seems about the going rate for the shop manuals. Pricey but worth every penny if you do your own maintenance/repairs.

Thanks Grandad4, in that case I'll buy it. A good manual can save a lot of headaches. I will be doing my own maintenance unless it is something covered by warranty.

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota l3200 hst 2014
Search Kubota WSM and FRS links. Free downloads for many Kubota WSM. I would post link but can't figure it out.

jthorne

Tractor
Thanks heaps Mike from MI, but Kubota have the US Kubota site locked for some webpages. When I attempt to go to navigate to some pages such as the Illustrated Parts List on the US site it comes up with "Access in only US Market" AND if I try to go to the "Purchase Manuals" it brings up a notice that says Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server. My local Kubota dealer should have a manual, I'm just hoping that it doesn't cost too much. All the best, Jon

jthorne

Tractor
If my dealer doesn't have a manual or it's dearer than the online one, I'll go with the $100 AUD manual online. Jon

Fallon

Tractor
There have been links to PDFs of many Kubota manuals posted over the years on here. Kubotabooks.com might be where I got mine.

jthorne

Tractor
Thanks Fallon, I went to the Kubotabooks website but unfortunately, the Manuals are for older models in the L Series, the nearest I can find is the Parts Manual for the L4610DT_HST which I guess would be somewhere near the same as the L4600DT. There are no workshop manuals for the L4600DT and no workshop manuals for the LA714 Loader. It was worth a shot though, I really appreciate your help. Jon