L2501 3rd function manual vs electric

/ L2501 3rd function manual vs electric #1  

YukonKing

Bronze Member
Tractor
2021 L2501 FEL
So I have a 2021 L2501 with Loader. I opted out of the factory 3rd function at the time of purchase to reduce the cost.

My plan was to install a aftermarket 3rd function myself, I see many options for the electrically operated ones.

Have any of you installed manual "spool" valves? It seems pretty easy to plumb into the power beyond valve/return to tank valve and run that through a manual hydraulic valve and plumb quick connect lines to the loader? Thoughts?

/ L2501 3rd function manual vs electric #2  
If you go that route be sure to buy a power beyond capable valve which will have 3 connections to the tractor. You cannot use a Tee anywhere in an open center system except for combining return to tank lines.
Having a momentary switch mounted on the loader joystick will be far more convenient.

/ L2501 3rd function manual vs electric #3  
I see the manual valve as being hard/cumbersome to operate vs an electric switch right on the loader stick.

Is this cost driven or are there other consideration(s) for wanting to go manual?

/ L2501 3rd function manual vs electric
I think the cost will be similar, just looking at locally available vs ordering online. And also looking at the options once I plumb into my power beyond port which is currently unused. If I do the work with my parts I can add a manifold for other valves like a top and tilt for the 3 point, etc.

/ L2501 3rd function manual vs electric #5  
Another option is a 3 valve set, 2 manual valves for your future T&T set and a 3rd electric valve with the control grip on the loader joystick that can be used for both an aux rear set of couplers as well for a loader 3rd function.

Just something to think about. ;)

Another option is a 3 valve set, 2 manual valves for your future T&T set and a 3rd electric valve with the control grip on the loader joystick that can be used for both an aux rear set of couplers as well for a loader 3rd function.

Just something to think about. ;)

Yes! This is more of what my goal is. The tractor is such a good tool, power source, etc. I just want to make the most out of any change/upgrade.

/ L2501 3rd function manual vs electric #7  
I added this to my tractor: 3 Spool 8 GPM Prince MB31BBB5C1 DA Valve

I knew that I was going to have Top and Tilt hydraulics and a grapple. I did not want to spend too much money and only get a single function.

Attachments

• birds nest.JPG
    birds nest.JPG
    394.5 KB · Views: 62
Another question, the L2501 has the power beyond at the rear of the tractor plumbed right back into the tank. What flow path or action would happen if you installed a closed centre valve? Would it be running then maxed out and push fluid through the pressure relief valve?... Just thinking ahead, trying to understand the system as best I can.

/ L2501 3rd function manual vs electric #9  
Yeah, a closed center valve is the wrong choice to add to an open center system. You'll force all the pump flow over relief at high pressure when the valve is not stroked. Pump life will be measured in hours instead of the normal decades.
FWIW the stock PB from an L2501 loader valve goes to feed the 3 point hitch valve, not directly to tank. Do you have an optional PB loop intended to feed a backhoe?

/ L2501 3rd function manual vs electric #10  
You can do all of your plumbing based on the info in the picture.

Attachments

• hydraulicblockannotated.jpg
    hydraulicblockannotated.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 66