L2501 I love it BUT

/ L2501 I love it BUT #31  
Yes but how much for installation? Some might not be comfortable installing this. On my RTV 1100C the kit + install was about $4500.

I do agree with your upgrade thoughts. L2501 upgrade would probably put me in an MX.

I’ve never really looked at the RTV’s and the access to the engine/engine compartment.
Right now it’s looking like the Turbo install on a L2501 would be around 3 hours. I’d hope that labor would be substantially cheaper for a ‘bolt-on’ kit that installs in just a few hours.

Mike

/ L2501 I love it BUT #32  
Thanks. I have tried, without a lot of sucess, to sharpen my blades without removing them from the cutter a couple of times. When I take them off I can put any kind of edge I want on them. Problem is, at my age, I have a hard time putting them back on without some help on the topside. Most of the time I don't have that available.
Use an impact to remove and replace blades. Far Far better than the idea of trying to block up the blades and using some sort of cheater bar. Just use an impact. Pneumatic or electric. Impact is the answer to all things mower.

/ L2501 I love it BUT #33  
are you forced to stop to shift ranges ? Can't shift on the fly ?

I can help here, the answer is yes, you are forced to stop or nearly so. The so called "range" is just a non synchronized 3 speed transmission. you can rarely shift on the fly without grinding gears.

/ L2501 I love it BUT
Use an impact to remove and replace blades. Far Far better than the idea of trying to block up the blades and using some sort of cheater bar. Just use an impact. Pneumatic or electric. Impact is the answer to all things mower.
I do use a pneumatic impact but it still takes two people. One under and one on top. Most of the time it's just me.

/ L2501 I love it BUT #35  
Sharpening the blades with a grinder from underneath is very easy and only takes minutes. I cant imagine taking off the blades would be better. I have 3 cutters and have never taken the blades off.

/ L2501 I love it BUT
Sharpening the blades with a grinder from underneath is very easy and only takes minutes. I cant imagine taking off the blades would be better. I have 3 cutters and have never taken the blades off.
I have tried this once. The stump jumper turns. The blade turns in the stump jumper and my grinder will not reach the top of the blade worth a flip.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / L2501 I love it BUT #37  
I’ve never really looked at the RTV’s and the access to the engine/engine compartment.
Right now it’s looking like the Turbo install on a L2501 would be around 3 hours. I’d hope that labor would be substantially cheaper for a ‘bolt-on’ kit that installs in just a few hours.

Mike
Let's see here. Trades down from 50 hp tractor to 25 hp one, didn't get more ponies to avoid possible emission issues. Now finds new tractor can't mow heavy stuff like the old one, and is considering aftermarket/ homebrew ways to boost HP.

Most, including me, would figure you really need more tractor because your DIY power boost has fairly strong odds of bringing more headaches than the emission junk you sought to avoid.

For example, what does the turbo kit do to improve cooling, if anything? The boosted engine will make more heat as it adds power, something these little diesels don't tolerate well. If you don't also soup-up the cooling system, your turbo my live longer than the engine it's on. Just sayin'. And, you probably already know about stopped up radiators from mowing debris.

But it's your decision, not anyone else's. Whatever you do, I wish you good luck dealing with this.

/ L2501 I love it BUT #38  
Let's see here. Trades down from 50 hp tractor to 25 hp one, didn't get more ponies to avoid possible emission issues. Now finds new tractor can't mow heavy stuff like the old one, and is considering aftermarket/ homebrew ways to boost HP.

Most, including me, would figure you really need more tractor because your DIY power boost has fairly strong odds of bringing more headaches than the emission junk you sought to avoid.

For example, what does the turbo kit do to improve cooling, if anything? The boosted engine will make more heat as it adds power, something these little diesels don't tolerate well. If you don't also soup-up the cooling system, your turbo my live longer than the engine it's on. Just sayin'. And, you probably already know about stopped up radiators from mowing debris.

But it's your decision, not anyone else's. Whatever you do, I wish you good luck dealing with this.
And don't forget the higher loads on the driveline from the power and torque increases. Generally turboed engines lower the compression ratio slightly and increase oil cooling volume on the back side of the piston crown to help reduce higher peak material temperatures on the piston crown. Cooling can also be a problem.
If you need more power and expect the same durability, buy a tractor that's designed to deliver the power you need.

Last edited:
   / L2501 I love it BUT #39  

It certainly won’t be an option for everyone, but for some, adding a Turbo does make a lot of sense.

Obviously, adding a Turbo to an L2501 wouldn’t be a replacement for a larger (heavier) tractor, however, it would allow the tractor to power a wider variety of rear PTO implements, make the M & H gears more useful on challenging and hilly terrain, maintain ground speeds (loaded or unloaded) and get more work done quicker.

There are several options to improve and/or maintain cooling capacities in Turbo diesel applications.
A properly engineered Turbo system shouldn’t hurt the reliability of the engine or tractor over its expected service life.

Mike

/ L2501 I love it BUT #40  
I think the L2501 is a tough little rig, but it has its limitations. I have run into the same issues mowing heavy grass, even in Low and creeping along. As stated before, the angle of the cutter has a HUGE affect! I had mine set up to cut pretty level, but It could not clear the cuttings fast enough and would literally jamb. Members here told me to raise the tail wheel and I raised it as high as I could go. It cuts at a forward angle (5 percent?) and cuts much better and faster.

BTW - I stepped into the L2501 from a JD 770. Pretty close in size, weight and power. The JD's crash box trans is the biggest difference. Oh and mowing performance. It could cleanly mow as fast as you could tolerate

I would run it in Low the whole time while cutting heavy for cooling purposes.

Another thing with the L2501: If you run it at PTO speed, you are missing a 1/3 of its power. Throttle up all the way.