L2501 with HST

/ L2501 with HST #31  
Yea, that's all disappointing to me. I still like a clutch pedal even with HST

Does your MX5100 HST have a clutch pedal? I had no idea they ever did it.

Even larger gear tractors try and get around a clutch…M4D has a de-clutch button on the shifter you can hit instead of the pedal.

/ L2501 with HST #32  
Interesting. M62 brakes are on the left side of the console.

On the Left! Where you actually have a free foot to work them? Oh, what a revolution that must have been in the design room !

I can just imagine the anguish of the old school anti-ergonomic group....engineers screaming, advertising artists being forcefully restrained, comptrollers kept away from open windows...

Hopefully, no-one was hurt and nothing went missing. BTW, where did they put that PTO clutch?

rScotty

/ L2501 with HST #33  
A live PTO can power the transmission backwards due to inerta & keep driving the machine forward with the clutch in. Quite a problem with a gear machine when the inertia of a brush hog keeps you going into a ditch with the clutch in.
That was true on a few gear tractors with transmission driven PTO 50-60 years ago. (like an 8N)
Certainly hasn't been that way for decades

/ L2501 with HST #34  
That was true on a few gear tractors with transmission driven PTO 50-60 years ago. (like an 8N)
Certainly hasn't been that way for decades
The cure is an over-running clutch into the PTO drive line. That doesn't help with engagement against a sudden load (shear pins do that). But it rachets instead of allowing the implement inertia to drive the tractor forward.
rScotty

/ L2501 with HST #35  
Does your MX5100 HST have a clutch pedal? I had no idea they ever did it.

Even larger gear tractors try and get around a clutch…M4D has a de-clutch button on the shifter you can hit instead of the pedal.
Yes....the mx5100 still has clutch pedal.

I run my tractor for a mowing business with an 8' twin spindle. I cut about 500 acres a year in total. Bunch of 1-5 acre jobs....throw in a few 20-30 acre jobs.

I like the ability in an "oh $hit" moment to stomp the clutch and raise the cutter if I start banging over a rock, stump, log, tangled in fence, etc. Don't want to have to try and reach beside the seat in a panic and try to find the little pto lever. Growing up on old iron....hitting the clutch is instinctive

/ L2501 with HST #36  
Yes....the mx5100 still has clutch pedal.

I run my tractor for a mowing business with an 8' twin spindle. I cut about 500 acres a year in total. Bunch of 1-5 acre jobs....throw in a few 20-30 acre jobs.

I like the ability in an "oh $hit" moment to stomp the clutch and raise the cutter if I start banging over a rock, stump, log, tangled in fence, etc. Don't want to have to try and reach beside the seat in a panic and try to find the little pto lever. Growing up on old iron....hitting the clutch is instinctive

I agree, same deal when mowing with my L3200, if anything goes wrong I stomp the clutch pedal quickly and it's a pretty effective safety cutoff.

/ L2501 with HST #38  
Behind the range shifter (LMH).
Well that makes good sense. I was afraid they would put it on the floor - in that nice flat area next to the seat where your feet need to be to turn the seat around.

/ L2501 with HST #39  
I use the cruise control on my 3901 when I need the steering brakes. Tractor brakes were never meant to stop just turning or holding in place
WHAT?
My tractor brakes are stopping the tractor and the load behind it. Going down a steep grade I may even need to feather some brake to keep the engine rpms down.

/ L2501 with HST
I use both the tractor brakes and HST going down steep grades here on our property. That's why I started this.