L3240 Engine RPM postition

/ L3240 Engine RPM postition #1  

botayota

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3240Hst
This being my 1st tractor, I'm a little unsure of where the engine rpm setting should be versus AutoHST, Autothrottle settings?

The only hint of any RPM setting the manual states is at startup use 1/2 the maximum RPM. After that where should the RPM be kept?

With the various setting AutoHST, Autothrottle are there ideal settings for the RPM or can they vary? I believe Autothrottle varies the RPM has needed.

Thanks,
BY

/ L3240 Engine RPM postition #2  
I start my L3940 at the idle position. I only use enough RPM to either go as fast forward as I need to, or to lift whatever I need to with my FEL. Any PTO implement will have the 540 PTO RPM, which translates to about 2750 RPM's.
No need to over rev if your just moving around from place to place. Play with the L-M-H range and engine speed a bit. It's all about feel and what type of work you are doing. In general, I'm usually at about 1500 to 2000 RPM for regular use.
The tractors maximum power for hydralics is at 2750 (540 RPM PTO speed), at least for my L3940 it is. This is according to my dealer mechanic.
You can't hurt these engines with too little RPM or too much (no reason to exceed 2750-3000 since you won't gain any power above that).
There should also be no reason to start above idle.
Hope this helps.

/ L3240 Engine RPM postition
Ok thanks Happyman,

So do you tend to vary the throttle alot, or leave it at a particular
RPM position based on what your're doing?

BY

/ L3240 Engine RPM postition #4  
I always drop the throttle to idle when I jump off to do something, then run it back up to about 1500-2000 when the work starts again. When running the backhoe I always run it up to 2500-2750 since that's the maximum power band speed.
I guess you could say I move the throttle to meet my needs. I rarely set it at one speed and leave it....fuel is too expensive!

/ L3240 Engine RPM postition #5  
For general use (box blade, rear blade, landscape rake, etc...), I usually leave the throttle set at idle and have the auto-throttle engaged. I love the combination of HST with the auto-throttle. Medium seems to be a good all-around range, with the H-DS providing enough extra control for general uses.

For loader work, I usually set the throttle around 1500rpm and have the auto-throttle engaged. This makes the loader hydraulics much faster while allowing me to vary speed AND power using the HST pedal. I find that low is usually best for digging...medium doesn't seem to have the umph.

For backhoe work, I usually set the throttle between 1500 and 2000rpm, depending on much accuracy I require :)

Anybody else? There are a lot of ways to use these tractors, and it's very helpful to hear how others are doing it...

/ L3240 Engine RPM postition
cschlaps, thanks!!! for this usefull information, like you say it is helpful to hear how others are using their Grande-L. There is always room too learn something new, or do something better.

Tks!!:D

BY

/ L3240 Engine RPM postition #7  
When mowing with 6' RFM I use 2750 in Low gear and hand drop to Turtle when cresting hill due to slowing down of tractor then back to rabbit when at top. I usually start at idle then run at 1700 to 2000 when moving around property and sometimes use cruise control (using hand instead of foot to obtain forward motion). When bucket work I set at 1700 to 2000RPM and use auto throttle.