L3301 tires

/ L3301 tires #1  

Reddogs

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 / Kubota L3301
I just got a L3301 and the R1 tires seem to lend one to tip over, as they seem a bit too light or not wide enough. What should I do, replace with turf or fill them up to add weight..?

/ L3301 tires #2  
I would try adding weight(RimGuard aka beet juice),different rims and tires would be expensive.Maybe spacers also.

/ L3301 tires
Wow, did not see that in the manual, will check on the RimGuard too.

/ L3301 tires #5  
Wow, did not see that in the manual, will check on the RimGuard too.
RimGuard is about 20% heavier than water based tire ballast.

RimGuard is fine if max liquid tire ballast is your goal.

However, in most regions of the USA RimGuard + R1 ag tires will likely rut any lawn you traverse with your tractor. Consider this downside carefully. A water based fill MAY be superior to RimGuard for your situation.

If you add your LOCATION to your T-B-N PROFILE replies to your questions will be more closely tailored to your situation.

Last edited:
   / L3301 tires #6  
Adjust the width of the tire first before adding Rimguard!!! (You don't list where you are from but if it doesn't freeze where you live, water is just fine).

/ L3301 tires #7  
Definitely width before weight, but I like both!

/ L3301 tires #8  
1) I just got a L3301 and the R1 tires seem to lend one to tip over, as they seem a bit too light or not wide enough.
2) What should I do, replace with turf or fill them up to add weight..?

1) Counterbalance weight mounted on the Three Point Hitch, usually an implement, is more effective pound-for-pound increasing tractor stability relative to tire ballast.

I use a Box Blade for counterbalance. Other frequent choices are Rototillers and Cultipackers. The tires on my L3560 are inflated with air, as were the tires on my two previous tractors.

Your modest weight / modest horsepower tractor is unlikely to rut dry lawns in 2-WD with R1/ag tires inflated with air without counterbalance mounted.

VIDEOS: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tractor+counterbalance+implements

2) Rear tires should be ballasted 50% to 75% full.
50% for lowest center-of-gravity on hills.
50% to reduce proclivity to rut lawns.
75% for max traction.

These fills would normally be done with the wheels/tires on the tractor.

Sometimes an inexperienced mechanic will fill rear tires 100% while tires are laying flat, in which case there is no air in the tire therefore your tractor has 'zero' suspension and tractor will ride rough.

Last edited:
   / L3301 tires #9  
Page 83...
I think to get the widest (& this depends on how it was originally set up) You might have to swap the left and the right tires (spin it around after moving them over).

Attachments

• wheel spacing.jpg
    wheel spacing.jpg
    610.4 KB · Views: 66
   / L3301 tires
RimGuard is about 20% heavier than water based tire ballast.

RimGuard is fine if max liquid tire ballast is your goal.

However, in most regions of the USA RimGuard + R1 ag tires will likely rut any lawn you traverse with your tractor. Consider this downside carefully. A water based fill MAY be superior to RimGuard for your situation.

If you add your LOCATION to your T-B-N PROFILE replies to your questions will be more closely tailored to your situation.
So how much would that cost for RinGuard for all 4 tires, or would just the 2 rear be enough?