L3800 hydraulic GPM and 3pt splitter

/ L3800 hydraulic GPM and 3pt splitter #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
I'm considering buying a 3pt log splitter, but I'm unsure of what the available hydraulic flow would be.

Tractordata lists my hydraulic flow as: pump flow 6.3 gpm, steering flow 3.8 gpm, total flow 10.1 gpm Does this mean I have 10.1 gpm available or only the 6.3 GPM? My tractor is set up for a B77 backhoe, so I assume the same hydraulic quick connects would suffice for hooking the log splitter lines to when the backhoe's removed. Correct assumption?

BTW, looking at the Northern Tool 22ton Powerhorse 3-pt splitter.

Thanks!

/ L3800 hydraulic GPM and 3pt splitter #2  
It’s only the 6.3 and getting that into the cylinder isn’t likely. Unless you like watching oil based paint dry come up with a new plan. You can use a PTO pump for more flow, but I wouldn’t give up the only tractor to power a splitter. I use it for other things when I’m splitting wood.

/ L3800 hydraulic GPM and 3pt splitter #3  
My advice is to buy a splitter with a motor on it. You guys split wood in TX?

/ L3800 hydraulic GPM and 3pt splitter
It’s only the 6.3 and getting that into the cylinder isn’t likely. Unless you like watching oil based paint dry come up with a new plan. You can use a PTO pump for more flow, but I wouldn’t give up the only tractor to power a splitter. I use it for other things when I’m splitting wood.

That's what I'm thinking. I have two tractors, so thought it might make my life simpler (less maintenance) if I just threw a PTO splitter on the back of one when I needed it. $699 was a lot easier to justify then the $1300 for an engine driven one.

/ L3800 hydraulic GPM and 3pt splitter #5  
Probably not that much difference unless you already have the rear remotes, and the splitter comes with the hoses and has a valve.

/ L3800 hydraulic GPM and 3pt splitter
My advice is to buy a splitter with a motor on it. You guys split wood in TX?

Ha! I'm a transplanted yankee, although actually have lived in TX longer. Believe it or not, I'll have 3 fireplaces. One indoors (wood burning insert), one being installed on our new patio (will be a 36" Rumford true masonry corner fireplace) and another on the back porch (wood burning insert). Plus I have the required redneck 36" vessel tank head in the yard. I have an endless supply of hill country oak and mesquite from our 2600 acre deer lease. We have fires frequently at our house. I split it by hand now, but TX oak isn't the straightest grain and can be a bear to split.

/ L3800 hydraulic GPM and 3pt splitter #7  
Ha! I'm a transplanted yankee, although actually have lived in TX longer. Believe it or not, I'll have 3 fireplaces. One indoors (wood burning insert), one being installed on our new patio (will be a 36" Rumford true masonry corner fireplace) and another on the back porch (wood burning insert). Plus I have the required redneck 36" vessel tank head in the yard. I have an endless supply of hill country oak and mesquite from our 2600 acre deer lease. We have fires frequently at our house. I split it by hand now, but TX oak isn't the straightest grain and can be a bear to split.

Interesting.. I split LOTS of wood up here and I find the speed, fuel efficiency and portability of my Honda powered Brave splitter to be the best way to process firewood..

/ L3800 hydraulic GPM and 3pt splitter #8  
I guess it really depends on how fast you want to split wood...

The 3 point will work and have good power, it will just be slow.....that may be worth it to you, just so you don't have to mess with another small gas engine.

SR

/ L3800 hydraulic GPM and 3pt splitter #10  
A possible option to make a 3PH splitter cycle faster is to use a renerative circuit like the Sun option attached. A few things to keep in mind if considering this option.

1) Like Messicks video states, be very aware of potential heat issues if running off the rear remotes.
2) For regenerative to work the best the cylinder should have around a 2:1 area ratio. Example: 4 inch bore with 2 3/4 rod. Reason for this is that while extending you only have the rod area extending the cylinder. 2:1 also gives similar extend and retract velocities.
3) Hoses MUST be sized to provide minimal back pressure on the extend stroke. Any excessive back pressure in the rod end detracts from extend force.

Advantage of regen is faster cycle times with same flow rate. Since tractors do not have the hi-lo style pumps used on log splitters your extend speed will stay constant until you reach the shift pressure. At 2000 PSI with 2 3/4 inch rod this would approx 6 tons force before the pressure shifts and your speed drops in half.

I am just showing this as a possible option to a stand alone splitter. I have no idea on what the cost of the Sun valve is nor how difficult or costly an over sized rod is on the cylinder.

Attachments

• YDEC_full_en_us_letter.pdf
    81.3 KB · Views: 64