L39 stalling, then two clicks under hood

/ L39 stalling, then two clicks under hood #1  

ETphonehome

Tractor
Kubota L39
I have a 2006 L39 with 1200 or so hours on it, that was fine for 10 years, and now is stalling then I hear click and a second later another click. While troubleshooting I found that the previous owner removed and defeated the seat switch, so that is not it. It seems electrical as there is no stuttering, just engine off. Here are the conditions:

Started cold, then used, e.g. mowing; Does fine until it gets some heat in it (about five to ten minutes)
Idling in neutral, off the seat; Rarely, but does stall w/clicking
Driving once hot; often stalls
Driving with PTO use; most often

Thought it was the bumps in the field, but seems to get worse the hotter it gets, and gets so bad I can't get it back and need to let it sit. It is not overheating, just beyond mid-range on the temp. I have saved it once by pushing the clutch in quickly as a test. Also, if I try to restart it without waiting for the second click it will crank over but not start.

This started at the end of the season last year and is now intolerable. Oil, air and fuel filters were recently changed, and it has fresh fuel.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

/ L39 stalling, then two clicks under hood #2  
Since it seems heat related it could be the ECU. An easy test is buy a can of freeze spray and when it dies, immediately spray ECU to cool it down. The see if it starts. Should be able to get a can act Napa or AutoZone, or electronics place.
That wouldn't account for the clicks you hear, must be some relay. Maybe you can get your head under the engine in time to hear where the clicks are coming from.

Last edited:
   / L39 stalling, then two clicks under hood #3  
Since it seems heat related it could be the ECU. An easy test is buy a can of freeze spray and when it dies, immediately spray ECU to cool it down. The see if it starts. Should be able to get a can act Napa or AutoZone, or electronics place.
Good idea !

/ L39 stalling, then two clicks under hood #4  
There could also be an issue with the fuel stop solenoid. I don't know about your specific model but some have an initial opening position then a lower current draw hold position. Your solenoid may be getting weak.

/ L39 stalling, then two clicks under hood
Thanks for the responses. I suspected either air in the injector pump, or intermittent fuel stop solenoid issues. However, after going through the WSM twice, I decided that only thing that made sense, given that clutch application stopped the stall was the seat turn (swivel) switch. Well when I inspected it, it was installed, but defeated with electrical tape. After squeezing the tape against the switch, I have had no stalling and mowed for four hours.

As I never use the backhoe, I think I will remove the switch if I have problems going forward.