L40 vs l60 Grand L

/ L40 vs l60 Grand L #1  

Ecreps

Tractor
looking to buy
How do the L40 series compare to the newer L60 series? I am considering an put of state purchase on a L40, but I have never interacted with one in real life.

Locally I have seen/looked at the newer L60s, but I'm having trouble finding what changed. I looked up the lift and weight numbers, and they seem comparable. I'm assuming maybe it's just some of the creature comforts?

Thank you for any insight.

/ L40 vs l60 Grand L #2  
The /40 series did not have Tier IV pollution controls.
/40 series fueling was traditional top center on tractor. You had to climb up with your fuel.

The /60 series introduced Tier IV/final pollution controls.
With Tier IV engine modifications, individual models picked up 3-4 horsepower concomitant to the fuel efficiency changes.

Ground level fueling.

Those are the important changes.

Last edited:
   / L40 vs l60 Grand L
The /40 series did not have Tier IV pollution controls.
/40 series fueling was traditional top center on tractor. You had to climb up with your fuel.

The /60 series introduced Tier IV/final pollution controls.
Ground level fueling.

Those are the important changes.
Thank You Jeff!

/ L40 vs l60 Grand L #4  
If you can find a low hour, well maintained, injury free L40 and it meets your HP/weight/budget needs then I would jump on it.

/ L40 vs l60 Grand L #5  
also the GL60 series lost the door mounted switch for the interior cab light but it gained a engine rpm preset switch on the loader stick. and the rear remote levers are in a slightly different location, and the loader hydraulic connectors are on the outside instead of on the inside of the loader arm so some people have added protective plate to protect the connections. they are easier to access for connecting but easier to damage.

like JCH said, if you find a nice GL40 I would jump on it. took me three years of looking to find my cream puff and that was pre covid in 2019

/ L40 vs l60 Grand L #6  
I traded my L5740 for a L6060 and never regretted it one minute. Better engine response, better fuel efficiency, improved controls, and in my case improved reliability but that’s not conclusive in a sample of one each. Two significant reasons pertained to smoke. The Smokey L5740 sometimes set off the smoke alarms in my house (all 6 are connected so the garage alarm going of scared everyone in the house). Second is my wife’s asthma - couldn’t work around the tractor and a vertical exhaust is not available. When I got a CTL, it took over much of the L6060’s tasks so it left my farm in December replaced by a M5-111. Regretted losing the L6060 as it had been my most reliable tractor but I was using it way beyond its intended tasks.

/ L40 vs l60 Grand L #7  
I owned a L3130 HSt and currently an L4240 both have been good;the older 50;s series is suppose to be good also.Don't over-look the smaller "L"series ,we have two in the family.