L4400 HST struggling on hills

/ L4400 HST struggling on hills #1  

Hiptfarms

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 with BH FEL, Kubota L4400 HST with FEL, Polaris Ranger, BCS 720
I recently bought a 2010 L4400 HST with 305 hours on it. I just used it to pull an old MF3 square baler after cutting the 8 acre field using my M6800 with a NH451 sickle mower. The tractor did fine pulling and operating the baler but getting the baler back home (maybe 3 miles, mostly uphill) was a struggle for the little tractor. I wound up having to take it out of high gear and put it into medium gear twice on the steeper sections of the highway. The baler weighs 2600lbs. Should that have been an issue for the L4400 to pull? The change in grade was probably 300 ft over the total distance. Steepest parts not over 30 degrees.

/ L4400 HST struggling on hills #2  
Its not unusual for a tractor to struggle with hills in high gear just pulling itself. Thats a pretty good load for an uphill pull in high range.
Sounds like it handled the baler as it should.

/ L4400 HST struggling on hills #3  
It would be an issue in high pulling that much weight.I have a similar H.P.tractor and in high on the road it bogs a little with no load.

/ L4400 HST struggling on hills #4  
I recently bought a 2010 L4400 HST with 305 hours on it. I just used it to pull an old MF3 square baler after cutting the 8 acre field using my M6800 with a NH451 sickle mower. The tractor did fine pulling and operating the baler but getting the baler back home (maybe 3 miles, mostly uphill) was a struggle for the little tractor. I wound up having to take it out of high gear and put it into medium gear twice on the steeper sections of the highway. The baler weighs 2600lbs. Should that have been an issue for the L4400 to pull? The change in grade was probably 300 ft over the total distance. Steepest parts not over 30 degrees.

Exactly what I would have expected.

Not enough HP for highway speed with a HST.

Put the 451 on the 4400 (if it will fit) and the baler on the 6800.

SDT

/ L4400 HST struggling on hills
I may try that arrangement for next season. This hurricane michael has put the final kibosh on anymore haying this year.

/ L4400 HST struggling on hills #6  
I'm always amazed at how much power it takes to just run down the road with a tractor. Seems like it should do this job a bit easier.

/ L4400 HST struggling on hills #7  
Perfectly normal for an HST.

Keep the rpms up and constant by backing off on the hst pedal or changing ranges.

/ L4400 HST struggling on hills #8  
My L5030 did the same - it's normal in high range for HST, I usually had to shift down to Medium range.

Last edited:
   / L4400 HST struggling on hills
Thanks for the replies. This is the first hst tractor I have run so I was overly concerned that the lack of service done by the original owner may have caused some damage. ( I bought the tractor with 305 hours on it with no prior fluid changes. I changed all fluids and filters).

/ L4400 HST struggling on hills #10  
Just to nit pic a moment; you don't have 30 degree slopes on a public highway. That is hellaciously steep.

A 30 degree slope is around 57%. See chart inserted here. I realize you were just conveying that there are some ups and downs to the road.

View attachment 574413