L4701 4WD engagement, what's the trick?

popsx3

Looking at a L4701 , the 4wd lever doesn't want to engage/disengage without a mighty struggle. Is there a trick or is this one bad?
Thanks

ctgoldwing

Platinum Member
Tractor
L3800HST
On my L3800 it helps to turn the wheels slightly one direction and / or the other with the clutch disengaged then try again

stephenh

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota L4701
Looking at a L4701 , the 4wd lever doesn't want to engage/disengage without a mighty struggle. Is there a trick or is this one bad?
Thanks

I purchased my 4701 new about a year ago. It was a struggle to get the 4wd lever to engage. It finally did, after some arm wrestling, and I haven't tried taking it out of 4wd due to the steep terrain and snow and the lack of a need to drive on paved surfaces. Perhaps the control would loosen up if I were to regularly use it, will try tomorrow and see.

ptsg

Elite Member
Tractor
2017 Branson F36Rn (3515R)
Just don't force it so you don't bend or break stuff inside the transmission.

The lever should move freely. If it's hard to engage, it's because the teeth on the gears are no aligned. Just move the tractor slowly forward, while gently applying pressure on the 4WD lever.

To disengage, either lift the front of the tractor with the loader, or move the tractor back/forth, while gently applying pressure on the lever to disengage.

AndyMA

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 2120 , Kubota MX5200 , Deere X748SE. 1956 Economy Tractor
On my MX when it’s tough I just lift a little weight off front wheels with bucket

Andy

diesel85

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
My little BX2200 is the same. You just need to roll forward slowly until the gears all mesh up. Never force!

When they are all meshed up, the shifter operation is smooth as butter.

dstig1

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC, JD X738 Mower, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)
+10 to what everyone else said. Turn wheels, or move slowly forward/back. It will slide in. No force required or should be used.

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I generally engage my diff lock while moving before I need it. That way teeth are moving & will lock up. Don't engage it when 1 wheel is spinning or it will grind & slam in breaking things as it tries to lock up the spinning wheel to the one with traction. A little motion with both wheels moving is good, a lot with only 1 is bad.

If you are already stuck, try to engage the diff lock. If it goes in, great. If not, bump the go pedal to spin thing internally so gear teeth line up better then try again.

Bullwinkle123

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400HST, Z724XKW-3-54
Thanks

My MX5400 is the same way. I'm always surprised by how much I have to rotate things before it will engage/disengage, but you'll get there. That said, it does seem to require more force than I expect even when it's ready to go.

art

Tractor
all makes and models
One of the ways to improve the disengagement of the four wheel drive is to adjust you tires air pressure to improve the ratio from front to rear. With most tractors having loaders we are doing the air adjustment on the rears. Many people will have to much air in them and they need to remove some.