Buying Advice L5030 To Buy or Not to Buy

/ L5030 To Buy or Not to Buy #1  

TripleR

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HDC, L5740HSTC, BX2200, BX2660, John Deere 425&1025R, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford
I am going to buy yet another tractor and while looking at the L3240 then L3940 and L4240 open station tractors I found a 2003 L5030 HST with a cab, FEL and rear remote. I am interested in the differences between the Lxx30 and Lxx40 series and how significant.

I have bigger tractors if needed, but my geared machines are getting harder for me to operate due to a combination of physical limitations and age. I will be using it for FEL work, road maintenance and mowing; nothing heavy.

Any information advice will be greatly appreciated.

/ L5030 To Buy or Not to Buy #2  
The biggest difference to me is the xx40's have HST plus. There is a video on kubota website that explains the features. To me HST plus adds some nice features, but I would still consider a good deal on a XX30. Have you driven a 40series?

/ L5030 To Buy or Not to Buy #3  
If you find a good deal on a cab model L5030 in good condition, it would probably make an excellent choice for you. The 30 series L's were great tractors and the 5030 was the top of the line. As noted, the hydro was simpler than the newer models... 3 mechanical ranges and one foot pedal, but no throttle features, range shifting, etc. like the newer ones. Otherwise the 30 series is very comparable to the 40 series.

The cab should be a good addition for the work you describe, as long as your mowing does not take you under low hanging limbs, etc.

The 5030 has an excellent loader for FEL work.

I would suggest you check it out carefully, though. Some of the higher HP CUTs you see up for sale (40+ hp) seem to have lived a hard life in some work-related setting (landscaper, construction, rental, on the farm, etc), with Kubota and JD being quite popular. Probably a testiment to their ruggedness, but most people don't want to buy a used rental yard tractor.

/ L5030 To Buy or Not to Buy
The biggest difference to me is the xx40's have HST plus. There is a video on kubota website that explains the features. To me HST plus adds some nice features, but I would still consider a good deal on a XX30. Have you driven a 40series?

No, I haven't driven either as I went with my wife on a Sunday so we wouldn't be bothered. We weren't even going to look at these particular machines, but you know how that goes. We are going tomorrow to do some discussing and driving.

If you find a good deal on a cab model L5030 in good condition, it would probably make an excellent choice for you. The 30 series L's were great tractors and the 5030 was the top of the line. As noted, the hydro was simpler than the newer models... 3 mechanical ranges and one foot pedal, but no throttle features, range shifting, etc. like the newer ones. Otherwise the 30 series is very comparable to the 40 series.

The cab should be a good addition for the work you describe, as long as your mowing does not take you under low hanging limbs, etc.

The 5030 has an excellent loader for FEL work.

I would suggest you check it out carefully, though. Some of the higher HP CUTs you see up for sale (40+ hp) seem to have lived a hard life in some work-related setting (landscaper, construction, rental, on the farm, etc), with Kubota and JD being quite popular. Probably a testiment to their ruggedness, but most people don't want to buy a used rental yard tractor.

This thing looks like a almost new tractor and only has 735 hours on it. I didn't get to talk to the salesman, but spoke with the service manager as I was making an appoint to take my BX2660 in for some work and he said it was bought new from them and used by an older guy who used it mostly for FEL and mower work. He traded it in last week for a L5040. I don't imagine it will be on the lot long.

/ L5030 To Buy or Not to Buy #6  
I have exactly that tractor.... 700 odd hours on it as well.
It has been bullet proof for me.
Recommend it highly... it is more tractor than you might think.
Will send PM

I have exactly that tractor.... 700 odd hours on it as well.
It has been bullet proof for me.
Recommend it highly... it is more tractor than you might think.
Will send PM

Thanks, PM sent; hopefully it won't be sold when I get there.

Thanks to input from TBN members and good write up by TexasJohn, I bought the "new" tractor along with rotary cutter. It will be delivered in a few days.

Yes, I have several tractors, but no two alike, well "exactly" alike and only two are Kubotas, so I won't be attending any JOHNTHOMAS, LBrown support groups; well not yet anyway.:)

/ L5030 To Buy or Not to Buy #9  
Glad you got the writeup. Well, you now know what we expect.... photos of your latest acquisition...with wife enjoying the view from the cab:thumbsup:

Think about testing the relief valve pressure, mine was set a little low... and be sure to have plenty of rear weight for heavy FEL lifting:)

Glad you got the writeup. Well, you now know what we expect.... photos of your latest acquisition...with wife enjoying the view from the cab:thumbsup:

Think about testing the relief valve pressure, mine was set a little low... and be sure to have plenty of rear weight for heavy FEL lifting:)

Sad to say, but I don't know how to test the relief valve, so I will have to have my brother do it.

I will post pictures upon delivery.

I am in the process of looking for a good box blade to provide ballast for general FEL use and will probably weld a weight tray or attachment point for weights if needed.

I am going to have my windows tinted as soon as my son in law can work it in to help with glare and cab cooling.