LA115 snow blower options?, Ideas?

/ LA115 snow blower options?, Ideas? #1  

leonz

Tractor
JD LA115, WH 244, Troy Built Horse 8 HP
Greetings fellow board members,

I wanted to ask if any of you have purchased the Bercomac snow blower for thier JD lawn mowers?

I looked at them and It has the same type of drive system as the RAD junk BUT the V belt drive is much more accessible to
to change them, I am unsure of the actual belt size on the 44 inch snow thrower.
With the mule being 8 years old and having 225 hours on it I know I am on borrowed time.

The other thing is I could use this blower on another lawn mower and that is the only saving grace about it.

Short of removing the drive and driven pulleys and having them put on a lathe and machined to accept an A116 V belt
I do not see a lot of options.

A new mule is out of the question for now and I still need to order new parts and V belts from the green parts store as they are much less expensive to purchase from them versus the local dealers. I also have to order a V belt retainer do to RAD sending these short on parts attachments to john deere.

The way this thing is set up I cannot simply remove the driven V belt like the old wheel horses and cub cadets. I have resorted to usign a 4 pound hammer to remove the channel iron brace out and I need to cut the channel iron brace in half to cut the amount of time needed to change the drive belt as it takes 4 hours in the cold to do it. I figured I would just use some nylock bolts and 1/8 plate to secure it.

If I had a minimat I would do all the machining to make this snow blower a chain drive unit and there would be a gas engine on it to run the bloody thing with a #60 roller chain drive with a torflex tensioner eliminating the V belt system entirely by mounting it on the rear of the tractor using the mounting points that exist on the tractor already.

I would also add a muffler extension to the engine to get the exhaust well above the tractor and away from the operator.

The bearings on these things are sealed and I am not crazy about the open flange bearings not having grease fittings but it still works. Kaman bearing is a short drive away from me so that is not an issue.

I would much prefer a single stage snow thrower compared to this junk.

I know, I know, I know, I should have just bought a smaller dump trailer and a 2305 with a loader and mower at the time but I needed the bigger log splitter and dump trailer to haul 33 full cords of firewood to my place.