Land Pride Rotary Cutter Decision

/ Land Pride Rotary Cutter Decision #1  

cold1313

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M4D-071 Kubota F3990
Howdy everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade to a larger 58hp (engine) HP tractor and the Kubota dealer recommended a Land Pride RCR 1872 cutter. I was a tad surprised on the cost of the unit, and also see there are "cheaper" and therefore thinner models available.

I'll probably only use this chopper once a month or so to cut down the back property, grass and weeds. This year I had to wait a few months and only got 1 cut in with my Woods finishing mower and I had to make a few passes. So I won't be working this cutter that hard. There are probably some smaller saplings that I might get into but nothing crazy. I have a chainsaw for a reason if needed. I won't be cutting new trails or anything. Just heavy grass and weeds.

Is this a good mower to go with, or save some money and go with a different model? I want to say that RCR1872 is almost $2,500

However, I'd rather spend the money once, than get something cheap and regret it and have to buy something else not far down the road.

/ Land Pride Rotary Cutter Decision #2  
Land Pride RCR 1872: If you limit yourself to mowing 24" weeds and grass you will be OK. Implement reliability is at least 50% related to the prudence and experience of the tractor operator. ~~~Few of us can resist taking Rotary Cutters into the woods.

Here is Land Pride's description: "The RCR18 Series Rotary Cutters are available in 60" & 72" widths for light-duty maintenance around the farm, on gentle slopes, or slightly contoured right-of-ways." When an implement vender describes an offering as LIGHT DUTY, I believe the vender and I pass. It won't take much to mangle light duty RCR 1872 frame parts operating behind an MX with 6,000 pound operating weight.

Neither Land Pride's paper catalog nor web site shows the GEARBOX HORSEPOWER RATING for this model, which I think you should research as you intend to power it with a 58-horsepower tractor.

If I were buying with my money I would select a heavier model Rotary Cutter. There is nothing wrong with Land Pride as a brand, but most feel value is in Land Pride's medium duty and heavy duty implements.

I own a Land Pride RCF 2060. Land Pride RCF 2060 specs GEARBOX RATING of 65-horsepower. My Kubota L3560 has 37-horsepower gross, 28-horsepower at the PTO. The RCF 2060 gear box is clearly marked: Made in China. I speculate all components except the deck are Made in China. The RCF 2060 has met MY needs.

Most would purchase an 84" wide Rotary Cutter for a 58-horsepower tractor.
Are you limited by gate size or trailer width?

Last edited:
   / Land Pride Rotary Cutter Decision #3  
I got by for several years with a light duty Rankin 5-footer on the back of my B7800. This was used in some substantial land clearing activities. I bent and broke some stuff on it (such as the tail wheel), but the motor and deck held up really well: I only replaced it (with a greatly used RC1860) because I wanted a quick hitch hook up.

If I knew I was only going to be doing pasture and light weeds I wouldn't look to shell out for anything above a light duty cutter, for a new unit that is. My normal approach is to go higher quality and USED.

I bought a well-beat-up Bush Hog BH46, a 6-footer for my NX5510. The BH46 was reinforced with 1/4" plate steel (deck had been well compromised!). It's a 95hp gear box. Paid $800 (PO had just installed new blades). Had to buy a new PTO shaft and have the tailwheel bracket welded (and reinforced); add about $400 to that $800. Something new would have cost me upwards of $3k. So far I have one season with it. If I get four more then I'll figure I made a good decision.

If you go 7' on a cutter don't go single spindle: I plain on a 7' cutting implement for my NX, eventually, but will go with a flail. If you take a look at a single spindle 7-footer it'll readily become clear why. Getting into this size is going to be significantly more expensive! (medium and heavy duty cutters are going to be pushing the $5k range).

I'd recommend looking on tractorhouse.com. There's new as well as used. Seeing as you (OP) are up in Ohio you're not too far away from a lot of manufacturers of tractor implements: shipping charges would be reasonable. I came close to buying a used box blade from there; shipping even at about $1k the box blade I was interested in was at a competitive price point with new (high quality) units.

/ Land Pride Rotary Cutter Decision #4  
Patience is your friend. Craigslist, Tractor House, etc..., are two sources to look for used equipment. If you want the cutter now go ahead and finance it with the tractor. It is a light duty cutter. I found a lightly used Brown 472 for $1150 on Craigslist. Had to travel 160 miles one way. Well worth it. It is 6 foot, weighs north of 1100#, and has a 120HP gearbox.

/ Land Pride Rotary Cutter Decision #5  
I bought a new 5 foot CountyLine from TSC. Yes it is a light duty cutter. I use it to mainly cut pasture. When I first got it I was cutting waist high weeds/grass. It did it just fine. Of course I had to go a bit slower in the thicker parts. Now that I am just maintaining I can go whatever speed feels good to me.

I have also used it to take down some small (1.5") trees/shrubs. No problem. Just go slow. Oh and this is all with my 24 HP tractor.

I paid $800 for it with a 10% off coupon.

I looked and looked on craigslist and other sites for a used mower. Could not find one, but also did not have months and months to wait. I need to get the land under control!

So yes there are cheaper options for those of us that are not using it commercially AND making sure we are not abusing the product and know its limitations.

/ Land Pride Rotary Cutter Decision #6  
For light maintenance mowing of a pasture and that tractor, I'd be looking for one of the lighter 8' twin spindle mowers

/ Land Pride Rotary Cutter Decision #7  
If you have an Agri-Supply near by or within reasonable shipping range you can get a Kodiak 6' medium duty for about half that. Or a twin head 8' for about the same price.

/ Land Pride Rotary Cutter Decision #8  
We have four rotary cutters after using cheaper lighter weight units and my grand kids will be using my RCR2672 and Woods DS1260. Not saying you can't get by cheaper/more economical. I just prefer more robust models.

Attachments

• DSCN0321.jpg
    DSCN0321.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 394
  • IMG_2899.jpg
    IMG_2899.jpg
    854.8 KB · Views: 581
   / Land Pride Rotary Cutter Decision
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll have to do some homework on some of these models. I need to balance my choice with something durable to hook to a Kubota MX (not huge but not tiny) and the pasture mowing every month or so. Less than 10 acres a month.

I'm also not opposed to picking up a crated unit direct or having it shipped if it is made near me. I'm not sure what is made "near Ohio" - but feel free to PM me.

/ Land Pride Rotary Cutter Decision #10  
I have a LP 1872 i bought used for $800 and a 2672 I bought new this year. the 2672 will last a lifetime for most people. Its twice the cutter the 1872 is.
For that size tractor Id probably be looking for a twin spindle 8 ft if your cutting mostly pasture grass and not tight woodsy areas.
Check your craigslist and see what searches return for bush hogs. Some old ugly used cutters are very well built and will last a long time. We at my hunting lease are always looking for good used cutters to use there and Ive probably picked up a dozen since 2008 from 5 - 12 ft in size. As long as I can run a used cutter before buying to make sure no vibration etc I feel safe.
Titan seems to make a well built unit and they do free shipping if a dealer isnt close to you. They sell on ebay and on craigslist. The 1700 series is for 48hp and larger so it should fit your bill but a LP unit could be rolled into your zero interest with your tractor purchase.

Titan 17 Series