Landscape rake tine quality

/ Landscape rake tine quality #1  

liberty2701

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti Dk50se hst
I have an everything attachments landscape rake that is indestructible. When working in tight spaces and back into something I snap the tines. I have welded the broken ones with 7018 rod only to snap again. Looking at replacements. It comes with the Italian one hole tines. I see others available with the same steel specs. Is there a difference in quality or stick with the Italian made ones?

I came across these. Landscape Rock Rake Tines-1 Hole-Replacement Parts-1x27-18 Pc - Hardacrefarm

/ Landscape rake tine quality #2  
I have a un branded rake I bought from Agri Supply. I have torn up and rebuilt the frame twice. Mostly due to my abusive use. Never broke a tine. They get bent out of shape every now and then but I can bend them back by hand.

/ Landscape rake tine quality #3  
They're springs above all else, alloy and heat treat that welding on may cause to become uneven and lose uniform flexing properties.

I suggest that any +/- quality expected might take a back seat to fit first, then cost. You'd only need to try a few of each to see if you liked one or another better, may yourself be a first to report. And I've only ever seen any LT tines broken when oops happened while backing up.

btw, Agri Supply is a first place I check inline for consumables. Farm Equipment, Mower Parts, Tractor Parts, Garden Supplies | Agri Supply | Agri Supply

/ Landscape rake tine quality #4  
I would also think welding on the broken tines will only make them more brittle and prone to breaking.

I'm kind of surprised you've broken some, being the EA reputation for indestructible.

I've got a "cheap" King Kutter 7' rake, and all I've done (so far) is bend a few slightly out of line with the row. You have to look down the row of tines to see that their bent.

/ Landscape rake tine quality #5  
I have a 7' EA rake and have never come close to breaking anything. I have one tine that is slightly bent that got a small tree stuck in it. Replacements are 3 tines for $48 at EA, so you know they will fit and work as expected. If you only broke one, keep the other two and spend a $100 less than that link above for 18.

/ Landscape rake tine quality #6  
I would contact EA about breaking the tines. Their customer support is top notch and might be able to help you out.

/ Landscape rake tine quality #7  
Is backing into a tree covered under warranty? IIRC OP said initial breaking didn't happen during normal use, but while maneuvering.

I back into stiff often enough to bend draft arms and tho' they can be just be straightened tines are less work to R & R.

/ Landscape rake tine quality #8  
I have an everything attachments landscape rake that is indestructible. When working in tight spaces and back into something I snap the tines. I have welded the broken ones with 7018 rod only to snap again. Looking at replacements. It comes with the Italian one hole tines. I see others available with the same steel specs. Is there a difference in quality or stick with the Italian made ones?

I came across these. Landscape Rock Rake Tines-1 Hole-Replacement Parts-1x27-18 Pc - Hardacrefarm
Think about a #2 and #8 bolt. 2 yield is much lower than 8 but is low alloy and will bend. Low alloy welds reliably easily. 8 does a good job of "springing" but when you hit the yield point it snaps. Since heat and alloys are what makes it a #8 welding distupts those characteristics at the weld joint and it snaps prematurely. BTDT