large outdoor analog Thermometer recommendations please

/ large outdoor analog Thermometer recommendations please
They have them in places like Wal-Mart and the big box stores...unfortunately most of them display different temps while sitting along side each other on the shelves...

And that is my problem. I used to work at an Army lab and temperatures were important. I've a glass mercury thermometer that we took down to the National Bureau of Standards about 1976 and it was "certified". I greatly dislike measuring instruments that measure incorrectly and I found most of my low price outdoor thermometers very inaccurate.

Almost every model review I read about on Amazon has one or several reviewers complaining about inaccuracy.

/ large outdoor analog Thermometer recommendations please #12  
Me too! If it has a digital display, it better be accurate! My GMC Sierra thermometer is 2 degrees C off. Bugs me! Makes the freezing warning kind of useless! Just another case of more bells and whistles, poor quality!

/ large outdoor analog Thermometer recommendations please #13  
Amazon is VERY slow to load. How big is the display? Any idea on range and going through concrete? I would love one for my fruit cellar. Battery life?

Close to 5x5. I have yet to replace the batteries. I think the temp is manually adjustable but not 100% sure. I put them all together when I first got it and they were all within a degree of each other. The site say 300' line of site and 100' otherwise. You can also add more sensors to it.

/ large outdoor analog Thermometer recommendations please #14  
And that is my problem. I used to work at an Army lab and temperatures were important. I've a glass mercury thermometer that we took down to the National Bureau of Standards about 1976 and it was "certified". I greatly dislike measuring instruments that measure incorrectly and I found most of my low price outdoor thermometers very inaccurate.

Almost every model review I read about on Amazon has one or several reviewers complaining about inaccuracy.
I think you have to buy several and then average the readings. After a few WalMart pieces of junk that were accurate to +/- 10F, we did manage to find one of the "dinner plate" types that tracks very close to the electronic indoor/outdoor. Brand was "acurite". Maybe we just got lucky.

/ large outdoor analog Thermometer recommendations please #15  
Close to 5x5. I have yet to replace the batteries. I think the temp is manually adjustable but not 100% sure. I put them all together when I first got it and they were all within a degree of each other. The site say 300' line of site and 100' otherwise. You can also add more sensors to it.

Here's a picture of mine. You can kinda see I labeled the rows on the left side.
thermo.jpg

/ large outdoor analog Thermometer recommendations please #16  
I like it. Do the lines get smaller if you go up to 8 inputs or is it another page.

Alarms? Hi low on each channel and hi low humidity?

I guess it reads in C as well.

I often thought about getting a weather station but good ones are all IP based and far too complicated. I only care about temp/humidity and wind speed, particularly real time gust speed which almost none do because they are run on batteries and just do sampling.

/ large outdoor analog Thermometer recommendations please #17  
I like it. Do the lines get smaller if you go up to 8 inputs or is it another page.

I often thought about getting a weather station but good ones are all IP based and far too complicated. I only care about temp/humidity and wind speed, particularly real time gust speed which almost none do because they are run on batteries and just do sampling.

Check the 'AcuRite' stations...wireless but non internet...put one up 4 years ago and original batteries are still going strong...monitor is 240' from the station...temps can be calibrated and easy to program alarms etc...

/ large outdoor analog Thermometer recommendations please #18  
Thanks for that. I spent a good long time on that site and just got more confused. All the systems, and there are many, seem the same. I as usual just need an 800#.

It's hard to find out who has real time wind measuring.

I like the 8 temperature and humidity inputs, but likely won't find a weather station with that and just wind speed/direction. All that other usual other stuff just make it too cluttered and complicated. Maybe I have to have two systems.

Last edited:
   / large outdoor analog Thermometer recommendations please #19  

No, it can only show 4 at a time. You can scroll to the others. I haven't used the alarm, no real need for it at this point but I can see where it would be useful.

/ large outdoor analog Thermometer recommendations please
I think you have to buy several and then average the readings. After a few WalMart pieces of junk that were accurate to +/- 10F, we did manage to find one of the "dinner plate" types that tracks very close to the electronic indoor/outdoor. Brand was "acurite". Maybe we just got lucky.

Well I gave up on trying to find an accurate ~12" thermometer. All the reviews indicated most had inaccuracies. So I just lined up a bunch of Acurites at Walmart and picked 2 that had the same temp and matched their little $1.50 "alcohol" thermometers (which all read the same), plus I bought one of the alcohol thermometers. The ones I lined up varied by 6 degrees.

Checking with other thermometers they seem to be spot on. I expect the alcohol thermometers will be accurate for their lifetime. But they are too small to put 20 feet away and read. So for the extra $1.50 I can check them easily when in doubt.