large stump - split the top and pull the pieces?

/ large stump - split the top and pull the pieces? #1  

JimS

Bronze Member
I have a stump that was about a 30" elm. I tried to pull it over with some cable and blocks tied about 30 ft. up but it wouldn't budge so I cut it off and burned it. The tree had been dead about 5 years but still pretty solid. I still need to get the stump out. Wondering if this method would be effective:

Cut off the remaining stump about 6" above the ground. Then cut in quarters (maybe probe around a bit to see where the roots are and try to cut between them) cutting down as far as I could (24" chainsaw bar). Make the cuts between sections wide enough to get a chain or cable on each section, one at a time. There are a few good size trees around and I have some heavy cable and blocks.

The other obvious choice is the have it ground down but I would like to get the roots out.

Anyone ever try this way? Tractor is Kubota L3600.

/ large stump - split the top and pull the pieces? #2  
No, never tied that. If the wood in the stump has softened up some from rot, it might work. But generally, cutting end grain stump wood with a chain saw is is tough going. Any dirt is going to take the edge off the chain real quick.

/ large stump - split the top and pull the pieces? #3  
I have a stump that was about a 30" elm. I tried to pull it over with some cable and blocks tied about 30 ft. up but it wouldn't budge so I cut it off and burned it. The tree had been dead about 5 years but still pretty solid. I still need to get the stump out. Wondering if this method would be effective:

Cut off the remaining stump about 6" above the ground. Then cut in quarters (maybe probe around a bit to see where the roots are and try to cut between them) cutting down as far as I could (24" chainsaw bar). Make the cuts between sections wide enough to get a chain or cable on each section, one at a time. There are a few good size trees around and I have some heavy cable and blocks.

The other obvious choice is the have it ground down but I would like to get the roots out.

Anyone ever try this way? Tractor is Kubota L3600.

Well here is what I think. I have no real experience with elm, but my stump experience is that roots are numerous and deep. and stumps of that size do no pull over easily. When you get all the surface roots cut, then you need to dig down about 2 times the diameter of the stump.. so about 5 foot in your case. And then there is the tap root in the middle in a lot of species.. Again I don't know much or anything about elm.. but what stumps I have dug out, require a lot of work. If you had left 15 or 20 foot of the tree still up, it might have been better, but a 30 inch tree is just really too big to pull over with anything in the way of a homeowner tractor I think. I dug out a 18 incher, and it took me 2 days, and I think a 30 inch stump is going to be a lot worse. There are ways to burn them out, dig them out with a backhoe, or the stump grinder. But all that said, don't let my ideas prevent you from trying yours. Perhaps yours will work, and you could take some pictures, let us know what you decide to do.

James K0UA

/ large stump - split the top and pull the pieces? #4  
not sure you'll have enough grip to move it even after you get that chain down low, if the tap root is strong.
That's why God made bulldozers...and stumpgrinders I guess.

I have a stump to pull out too, very large elm tree also, that's funny. The tree went down so at least a little of the ball is exposed.
I don't have a back hoe and my nice new tractor didn't budge that stump when I tried to move it in certain directions.
But in other directions I found some movement.

For me, I'd use a chain saw and an old chain, gotta be sharp though or you'll croak before you get done cutting a big stump.
And probably at least one spare chain and simply be resolved to sharpening them when done.
Then I'm going to try out my chain too. And we both will find out how a Kubota L handles a stump...:thumbsup:
So needless to say, I'm all ears when folk start talking about stumps.
I frankly look forward to it...:tractor:

/ large stump - split the top and pull the pieces? #5  
What I have done is burn them out. Start a fire on top with charcoal or wood.

/ large stump - split the top and pull the pieces? #6  
I was looking at a bottle of stump remover yesterday b/c i have almost the same issue with an elm stump. 30"+ diameter and 5' tall. Ive thought about carving it decoratively but its behind my barn. They tell you to drill 1" diam holes 10 inches deep across to top and around the base ( slanted downwards) and fill with 4-6 ounces of stump remover. Then fill with water. Let set for 4-6weeks for wood to soften. The fill holes with kerosene/diesel for few days and then light it. It will glow orange and smolder for almost a week but the roots and all should be gone when done.

/ large stump - split the top and pull the pieces? #7  
See if any truck manufacturers want to use it in a commercial for raw, brute strength.

/ large stump - split the top and pull the pieces? #8  
I took this elm down a few years ago. I washed out around the roots, dug what I could with hoe and cut roots with axe and chain saw.
I left the top for leverage.
If you look you can see the tractor smiling!! ;)

Attachments

• 000_0524.JPG
    000_0524.JPG
    569.1 KB · Views: 1,078
  • 000_0527.JPG
    000_0527.JPG
    644 KB · Views: 607
  • 000_0529.JPG
    000_0529.JPG
    654.6 KB · Views: 654
   / large stump - split the top and pull the pieces?
That's why God made bulldozers...and stumpgrinders I guess.

That's why God made ANFO! :) My dad and a friend of his used it on some stumps years ago. Very effective. Not an option anymore though...

Think I will give splitting a try and see how it goes. I can always resort to grinding or burning what's left.

/ large stump - split the top and pull the pieces? #10  
I took this elm down a few years ago. I washed out around the roots, dug what I could with hoe and cut roots with axe and chain saw.
I left the top for leverage.
If you look you can see the tractor smiling!! ;)

That is the way I am doing some clearing around three old house places and it works quite well since I do not have a dozer or stump grinder. Of course the bigger the hoe the faster and the taller the reach of the FEL the less you have to dig before it will go over. I had one big three where most of the tree broke off about 12' high and without a heavy top that called for a lot of digging to get it to go over. Actually with leaves they go over better too.