Lateral Sway linkage broke

/ Lateral Sway linkage broke #1  

Anonymous Poster

As a relative newbee, please excuse any incorrect terminology! I was box blading this weekend on my bx2200 and both (not just one) of the sway linkage broke. A weld snapped. My question is, could I have been doing something wrong to cause this or is this a design problem that I need to talk to my dealer about?

Attachments

• 287053-Sway Linkage.jpg
    287053-Sway Linkage.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 232
   / Lateral Sway linkage broke #2  
It may have been caused by your linkage being loose. It is a poor design also. Many of those on TBN have done what I did to my BX22. Modify and use the adjusters from a B2710 (see Photo) I will try and round up the thread that deals with this extensively. The only poor thing I have found on the BX22.

Attachments

• 287061-BX22 adjusters.jpg
    287061-BX22 adjusters.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 232
   / Lateral Sway linkage broke #3  
I think you need to talk to your dealer, all right, and without seeing or remembering exactly on what plane those are attached to the tractor (attached to the tractor slightly lower than the lift arms?), I'll guess that you had them adjusted too tight and they broke when you raised the box blade.

/ Lateral Sway linkage broke #4  
Gary, looks like you typed faster than I did. Can you break them by having them too loose? I thought it was only if you had them too tight.

/ Lateral Sway linkage broke #5  
   / Lateral Sway linkage broke #6  
I was surmising that if the box blade was slapping side to side it might rip those out. After thinking about what you said I would agree that lifting the box up when they are real tight would be more apt to break both turnbuckles at once. I would go to the dealer and try to get them replaced or better yet maybe a discount on the good parts to fix it...

/ Lateral Sway linkage broke #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I was surmising that if the box blade was slapping side to side it might rip those out )</font>

Good point. I hadn't thought about that, but guess it could happen.

/ Lateral Sway linkage broke #8  
Are you saying that the linkage geometry changes while lifting?

Does the distance for the stabilizers get longer or shorter?

Is there a way to prevent this (ie tighten the arms while the implement is lifted)?

Is this possible problem pandemic to all 3 pt systems or just the BX or just the B models?

/ Lateral Sway linkage broke #9  
<font color="blue">...both (not just one) of the sway linkage broke....</font>

Hi Gary,

The odds of "both" breaking under tension are better than both being loose... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm seeing/hearing more and more of this unfortunate "breakage" on the newer compact tractors... more hydraulic horsepower and "weaker" components vs. the older farm utility tractors of much "weaker" hydraulics and stronger (never-say-die/over-engineered) components... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Lateral Sway linkage broke
Thanks for all of your words of wisdom. Looks like it may have been a little bit of a problem on both of our parts. Me for setting them too tight and Kubota for their less than desirable design. This makes perfect sense because they had worked loose and the blade was banging around pretty bad earlier in the day, so I tightened them up (I guess too much). I will talk to the dealer and see what can be worked out. Thanks again, you all make it so much easier and fun to learn how to properly operate & fix /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif these toys...uh tools!