Latest grab by auto manufactures

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #221  
I've always given thought to switching to Linux, since I was a teenager actually, but it comes off as rather intimidating.
The desktop or "windows" on a good Linux distribution (and there are many to choose from) makes it not much different than the Micro-sloth stuff. Even bitty computers like Raspberry Pi's can run versions of Linux with a desktop interface and they're not at all hard to set up.

Getting back on topic, I can see hackers doing to vehicles to recover "features" the same way they did deletes on diesel pickups to eliminate things they didn't like.

We just bought a 2022 Honda Passport (My wife loved it, and I'm O.K. with it) it's a top-of-the-line model as I figure I'm only good for this and maybe another car at my age, so why not splurge.

Truthfully I have yet to use the remote start, the satellite radio and probably a handful of other features I don't know about nor care about. But if they start taking away things that came with the vehicle I may have to investigate software like the Forscan used on my F-450.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #223  
I don't understand why anyone would even want Onstar anymore. Doesn't a smartphone do everything, and more, then OnStar?

This is true for the most part. Google Maps on my Samsung phone allowed me to walk around the city of Tobolsk in Siberia without getting lost (although Putin has probably shut it down by now).

However, when I was driving from Red Deer to Banff in Alberta, I quickly lost both radio and phone reception. Satellite GPS/Radio/Phone were the only things that worked once you got into the Rockys.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #224  
There is no really good engineering CAD CAM software there is some but it's just not as good as the 10-thousand dollar packages meant to run on windows.
Try using WINE. Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, macOS, & BSD

This allows you to run Windoze applications and maybe you can find something that meets your need other than a full-blown CAD/CAM package like AutoCAD or EPlan, Visio maybe?

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #225  
This is true for the most part. Google Maps on my Samsung phone allowed me to walk around the city of Tobolsk in Siberia without getting lost (although Putin has probably shut it down by now).

However, when I was driving from Red Deer to Banff in Alberta, I quickly lost both radio and phone reception. Satellite GPS/Radio/Phone were the only things that worked once you got into the Rockys.
You can preload the maps so you can still use them when you lose signal.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #228  
What has turned off is the On Star, after a year, the heated seats, steering wheel, remote start, etc., stay operational.
Suggest if you cancel On Star you might leave you driver window cracked for a while and put your keys in you pocket when you get out. I cancelled, parked in a 10 acre field at the farm, got out and was walking away when the doors locked by remote, keys inside. I forgot. Thank you On Star for the harassment.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #229  
What has turned off is the On Star, after a year, the heated seats, steering wheel, remote start, etc., stay operational.
Suggest if you cancel On Star you might leave you driver window cracked for a while and put your keys in you pocket when you get out. I cancelled, parked in a 10 acre field at the farm, got out and was walking away when the doors locked by remote, keys inside. I forgot. Thank you On Star for the harassment.
At least they gave you a kiss goodbye... (on the back of the neck).

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #230  
Try using WINE. Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") i
Crashes and burns on software that sophisticated.
I tried Wine and Oracal virtual box with win 7 loaded in the virtual box and that crashed and burned too.
My take away; there is just so much one can do to get certain programs to run through an OS they weren't built for.