Latest grab by auto manufactures

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #401  
O/A 8/06/22 The WSJournal ran an article "At Ford, Quality Is Now Problem 1" stating "Last year Ford set aside more than $4 billion for warranty costs, up 76% from five years earlier." To put that into a more understandable context. [in 2021] "That year Ford allocated $1,041 per vehicle for covering warranty claims compared with $713 per vehicle for larger rival General Motors Co." The article did not make clear if recalls were part of warranty work but noted In June, [Ford] recalled roughly 49,000 Mustang Mach-E electric SUVs over concerns that the battery contactors could overheat and cause the vehicle to lose power. In the first seven months of the year, Ford had 46 separate safety recalls on 6.8 million vehicles, more than any other U.S. auto maker.

In my middle age there was a saying "They don't make cars like they used to; they make them better." Not so sure anymore.

Last edited:
   / Latest grab by auto manufactures #402  
This makes me want to keep my 05 even longer. I wouldn't be buying anything new anyway. But I totally disagree with the comments that these are things the buyer has asked for or wants or even needs. Ain't nothing wrong with hand roll up windows. Push button start? It ain't needed. Dual air controls? Thermostat? Just blow cold air. Our vehicles could be 90% less complicated and cost 25% less if the manufacturers wanted to make them. I LONG for a small pickup that is truly a base model with only AC. But Noone can seem to make one. Just keep on adding junk....

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #403  
Just keep on adding junk....
I hear 'ya. When I downloaded the as built sheet for mine, 19 Ram 1500, found out it had a 'feature' that when the wipers are on it places a slight pressure on the brake pads to make sure they stay dry...why?. It's raining you expect bad braking and allow more room.
Acoustic front door glass to block road noise...you're driving, it's noise, deal with it.
Noise cancelling feature on the radio that generates a negative counter-noise, yup and when it screws up which it does at least once a month the noise generated will damn near make you puke. Turning the radio off does nothing, you have to pull over and restart.
An air dam below the bumper that extends over a certain speed to streamline and save fuel. Recently got an extended recall on that 'feature' if it screws up. I'll do the recall and unplug it.
Electric power steering...really..... pay for that puppy when it goes.
Someone will no doubt say, "so why'd you buy it" wouldn't make much difference which one I bought, they all have added crap. Why'd I buy a new one you ask, it was my retirement reward to myself, figured it'd be the last new one I'd own.
It's a nice working rig but it's the added things for no need that tick me off
Rant off :cool: .........Mike

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #405  
   / Latest grab by auto manufactures #406  
You'd think a towing company would know about the workaround(s).
They have some interesting videos but are definitely geared toward older vehicles. What I find even stranger is how many of the people they rescue don’t know the features of their own vehicle; simple things like how to shut off the stabiltrac and traction control.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #408  
Think about keyless entry. A coworker has a car that has no key locks on the exterior of the car. How do you get in with no key and the battery in the FOB is dead?

There’s a hidden key in the FOB, but where would you use it?

You have to pull the driver’s side door handle out, hold it out, and find a hidden cap to pry open with the hidden key from the FOB and behind that is an actual lock cylinder that you can use the hidden key to open the door.

NO ONE KNOWS THIS WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP AFTER THE PROBLEM PRESENTS ITSELF.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #410  
Think about keyless entry. A coworker has a car that has no key locks on the exterior of the car. How do you get in with no key and the battery in the FOB is dead?

There’s a hidden key in the FOB, but where would you use it?

You have to pull the driver’s side door handle out, hold it out, and find a hidden cap to pry open with the hidden key from the FOB and behind that is an actual lock cylinder that you can use the hidden key to open the door.

NO ONE KNOWS THIS WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP AFTER THE PROBLEM PRESENTS ITSELF.
My summer car has keyless entry and I anticipated the problem right away. The key hidden in the fob opens the trunk where there is a cord to pull to open the driver's door and then put the fob into a small compartment in the console to be able to start and drive. I dislike this feature and was annoyed enough with my 1998 Volvo that had no lock cylinder on the passenger's door so you were forced to use the driver's door to open the car. I hate having the large fob in my pocket.